News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

They had no Stanley Cup in 2005, and the NHL survived. Chalk this year's up to COVID19, move on, plan for the 2020-21 season.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on May 26, 2020, 06:28:51 PM
They had no Stanley Cup in 2005, and the NHL survived. Chalk this year's up to COVID19, move on, plan for the 2020-21 season.
If I had to pick one sport to return, it's hockey. Let's do this.

ftballfan

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 26, 2020, 05:38:16 PM
A new twist in the events. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-planning-24-team-return-in-2-hub-cities-new-draft-lottery-format-1.1479427

QuoteNHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced Tuesday the league is planning a 24-team Return to Play format but could not give specific dates on when games might start.

Bettman added that he does not believe training camps will open before the first half of July, meaning that if it lasts three weeks the season would likely not resume until August should it be deemed safe to play. Bettman said the Return to Play Committee is still debating whether the format/playoffs will use re-seeding or bracketing.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1265381481939156992

As part of Tuesday's announcement, Bettman said the 2019-20 regular season is considered complete.

The 24-team plan will use an order of finish determined by each team's points percentage as of the league pause on March 12. The top four clubs in the Eastern and Western Conference will play separate mini round-robin tournaments to determine seeding for the playoffs. The other eight teams in each conference would play best-of-five "play-in" qualifying series to determine the 16 clubs left standing.

Bettman says the first- and second-round playoff matchups could be either best-of-five or best-of-seven series, but the conference finals and Stanley Cup final will be best-of-seven.
This likely means the 2020-21 season will be a shortened season (possibly 48 games, such as the 2013 season?)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ftballfan on May 26, 2020, 11:33:17 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 26, 2020, 05:38:16 PM
A new twist in the events. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-planning-24-team-return-in-2-hub-cities-new-draft-lottery-format-1.1479427

QuoteNHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced Tuesday the league is planning a 24-team Return to Play format but could not give specific dates on when games might start.

Bettman added that he does not believe training camps will open before the first half of July, meaning that if it lasts three weeks the season would likely not resume until August should it be deemed safe to play. Bettman said the Return to Play Committee is still debating whether the format/playoffs will use re-seeding or bracketing.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1265381481939156992

As part of Tuesday's announcement, Bettman said the 2019-20 regular season is considered complete.

The 24-team plan will use an order of finish determined by each team’s points percentage as of the league pause on March 12. The top four clubs in the Eastern and Western Conference will play separate mini round-robin tournaments to determine seeding for the playoffs. The other eight teams in each conference would play best-of-five "play-in" qualifying series to determine the 16 clubs left standing.

Bettman says the first- and second-round playoff matchups could be either best-of-five or best-of-seven series, but the conference finals and Stanley Cup final will be best-of-seven.
This likely means the 2020-21 season will be a shortened season (possibly 48 games, such as the 2013 season?)

If shortened, I would think maybe 60-62 (75%) games instead with a few more back-to-back nights.  Especially since a new team is getting added next season.

1995hoo

The new team in Seattle is scheduled to begin play in the fall of 2021, not during the upcoming 2020—21 season.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

I've given up on baseball starting so hearing hockey might be returning will make my summer  :clap: :clap: :clap:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

Yeah, although hockey in July is unconventional, I'll take that over no sports at all.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Henry on May 29, 2020, 09:28:52 AM
Yeah, although hockey in July is unconventional, I'll take that over no sports at all.

There was once roller hockey from RHI. That's close but no cigar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8jw88NFZsM

1995hoo

Good game on TV right now. Caps versus Las Vegas. I have a good feeling about Lars Eller in this one for some reason.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 29, 2020, 05:56:06 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 29, 2020, 09:28:52 AM

There was once roller hockey from RHI. That's close but no cigar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8jw88NFZsM

I went to one of those games back in the day for one of my classmates birthday parties @ the Civic Arena!

rickmastfan67

ET21

Clinched:

ftballfan

I've seen that Las Vegas will likely be one of the hub cities for the NHL

Alps

Quote from: ftballfan on June 15, 2020, 07:12:11 PM
The going assumption is NHL East will play there, NHL West will play in Toronto if they can work it out with Canada (I bet that doesn't happen), else I think Columbus was the other city.

MisterSG1

Quote from: Alps on June 16, 2020, 12:38:03 AM
The going assumption is NHL East will play there, NHL West will play in Toronto if they can work it out with Canada (I bet that doesn't happen), else I think Columbus was the other city.

Which won't happen, and I can only hope that soon enough, your Islanders will be history from the league. The most disgusting and despicable fans there are. fans of the Leafs still remember your antics from the 2002 First Round series.

Alps

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 16, 2020, 01:04:08 AM

Which won't happen, and I can only hope that soon enough, your Islanders will be history from the league. The most disgusting and despicable fans there are. fans of the Leafs still remember your antics from the 2002 First Round series.
The Leafs don't even have fans, so don't start. And instead of Columbus I'm seeing Chicago or even giving up on the East Coast and going to LA.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alps on June 16, 2020, 09:54:45 AM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 16, 2020, 01:04:08 AM

The Leafs don't even have fans, so don't start. And instead of Columbus I'm seeing Chicago or even giving up on the East Coast and going to LA.

I could see LA not being an option IMO.  Pittsburgh on the other hand, I think we're still good to go here on everything that we could host the Eastern teams without any issues.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Alps on June 16, 2020, 09:54:45 AM

If the Leafs have no fans. Some memes tell otherwise. ;)

MisterSG1

Islanders have the most disgusting fan base around.

In the 2002 playoffs, they booed O Canada in every home playoff game in the series against the Leafs. Fans also burned Canadian flags that a fan had on his car in the parking lot prior to Game 6.

To further add insult to injury, this was right after 4 Canadian soldiers, the first to die since in combat since the Korean War were killed in a friendly fire incident.

Stephane Dumas

Seems there one guy who's isn't happy with the current playoffs format.  The Downfall parody clip never get old, lol. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWOfGUBnPp8

rickmastfan67

NHL is back!  Too bad the Penguins lost to the Flyers in OT today, but it was an Exhibition game at least.

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 28, 2020, 09:17:44 PM
NHL is back!  Too bad the Penguins lost to the Flyers in OT today, but it was an Exhibition game at least.
I don't care that the Rangers lost. I care that they played.

Stephane Dumas

I-55

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 07, 2020, 06:40:22 PM
We got some surprises, the Pittsburgh Penguins was kicked out by the Montreal Canadiens. https://www.tsn.ca/artturi-lehkonen-scores-winner-as-montreal-canadiens-shock-pittsburgh-penguins-for-series-win-1.1505963

That didn't take long. Goes to show the level of parity in the league, only one sweep (Carolina over NY Rangers), and many classic comebacks like Columbus and Toronto in game 3... and game 4, with plenty of overtime games.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ET21

Hawks play Vegas in round one, Lightning are once again playing mehhh against the Jackets at the moment.

Rangers got the #1 pick for the draft

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.