News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Getting to watch the Columbus—Tampa game was a treat, especially not having to struggle to stay awake to watch such a long game.

Crazy to think that to equal the longest game ever, they would have had to have played another 26 minutes 3 seconds. Last night's game ended after 90:27 of overtime (150:27 total game length). The longest game ever went 116:30 of overtime (176:30 total game length).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ftballfan

Considering the currently strained relations between the US and Canada (which is why the Blue Jays are playing their home games in Buffalo this year and why the Raptors might have to play at least part of the 2020-21 NBA season at either a home site in the States or as a traveling team), I wonder if for the 2020-21 season only, the divisions could be done a little differently in order to have all the Canadian teams in one division and the American teams split between the other three, with the first few weeks of the season being only divisional games.

Northern Division: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg
Western Division: Anaheim, Arizona, Colorado, Dallas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minnesota, San Jose
Central Division: Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay
Eastern Division: Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

SEWIGuy

With the elimination of the Vancouver Canucks yesterday, it has now been 26 seasons since a team from Canada has won the Stanley Cup.  (Remember there was a lock out back in 2005.) 

Since the Canadiens won in 1993, Canadian teams have gone 0-5 in the Finals.  Four of those series have gone seven games.  And in two of those series, the Canadian team held a 3-2 lead, therefore having a home game to clinch. 

ET21

God the playoffs this year have been amazing
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kevinb1994

Quote from: ET21 on September 05, 2020, 12:04:33 PM
God the playoffs this year have been amazing
Now I dig the upcoming Stars-Golden Knights series.

I-55

Having watched so much hockey this season it's funny to watch basketball: I keep saying that a play is offside in my head when someone crosses half court in front of the ball.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ET21

Lightning with a beatdown in Game 1, 8-2

Clinched:

Stephane Dumas

The Stars won the Western Conference finals and wait who'll be the winner of the Eastern Conference between Tampa Bay and the NY Islanders.

Buck87

The Tampa Bay Lightning have won their 2nd Stanley Cup

kevinb1994

Quote from: Buck87 on September 29, 2020, 09:22:30 AM
The Tampa Bay Lightning have won their 2nd Stanley Cup
A sincere congratulations to them. Hard earned and hard fought. That's what hockey is all about (and sports).

ET21

That was enjoyable to watch, YES!!! :) :)

Clinched:

Stephane Dumas

I saw this one via a post on Skyscraperpage forums. This is how the NY Rangers celebrated their first draft. https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9066308&postcount=1720

Desert Man

The proposed Palm Springs AHL farm team (either they're the Firebirds or the Snowbirds) of the expansion Seattle Kraken will wait until 2022, the Palm Springs sports arena plan folded and they're negotiating to play in the currently under construction sports arena in Palm Desert expected to have an arena football, indoor soccer and developmental basketball league team in the future, and a better facility but a field size misfit for minor league baseball in our infamously hot summers if you ask me.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

Another poster on Skyscraperpage posted this one: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9058294&postcount=1711 That might bring some food for thoughts.

QuoteLast time the Lightning won, we didn't have hockey the entire next season. Let's hope Covid doesn't cause that to happen again.

Well, the year the Lightning won, the Boston Red Sox also won the World Series since 1918, where the Stanley Cup finals was cancelled due to the Spanish flu, and the Toronto Argonauts won the Grey Cup. The Argos also won in 2012 where the 2012-13 NHL season was a short season due to another lock-out. I wouldn't put the entire fault to the Lightning if the 2020-21 season is cancelled.

Desert Man

The COVID pandemic postponed the first season of the Palm Springs American Hockey League (AHL) team from 2021-22 to 2022-23. The Seattle Kraken's other affiliate in Boise, Idaho (they supplied players for the Dallas Stars' stanley cup appearance this year) of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) is going to play next year anyway. The nearest AHL teams to Palm Springs are the Ontario, CA Reign (LA Kings), San Diego Gulls (Anaheim Ducks), San Jose Barracuda (San Jose Sharks), Henderson, NV Silver Knights (Las Vegas Golden Knights) and Tucson Roadrunners (Arizona Coyotes in Phoenix). I recall these teams were in the ECHL except the Silver Knights are AHL expansion just like their NHL parent team the Golden Knights.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

ftballfan

My NHL plan for the 2020-21 season:

* - The seven Canadian teams are one division, with the 24 American teams divided into three divisions
* - All games in the regular season would be within the division (48 games for the Canadian teams and 56 games for the American teams), with the top four in each division advancing to the playoffs
* - The first two rounds would be among division teams only, so each division would also crown a playoff champion
* - The semifinals would involve the playoff champions of each division
* - No border crossings would be required until the semifinal round (which would likely be in May or June assuming a regular season start date on or slightly after January 1). Depending on the state of US-Canada relations at that point, the series could either be a traditional home-and-home, all games at one site, or a quasi-home-and-home with the Canadian division champ playing their "home" games at a non-semifinal NHL arena in the States

NWI_Irish96

Doc Emrick announced his retirement today. We were born in the same county and he went to college with my parents, but I've never been privileged enough to meet him.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

NHL officially will return on January 13th for a 56 game season

Clinched:

kevinb1994

Quote from: ET21 on December 20, 2020, 09:26:09 PM
NHL officially will return on January 13th for a 56 game season
Somewhere, Neil Young and Chicago are smiling.

1995hoo

2020 just said, "I'm not done yet. Hold my beer and watch this."

Zdeno Chara to the Capitals. One year, $795,000.

ET21

Yeah I saw that. Was kinda shocked, I would think he'd retire

Clinched:

1995hoo

The Athletic reports the NHL sold the naming rights to the divisions for this upcoming season only.

ET21

Team USA wins the World Juniors

Clinched:

Henry

Just one week away...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

Former NHL coach John Muckler passed away.... :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbBxOF5eL3w

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.