News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ET21 on July 09, 2021, 08:55:20 AM
Back 2 Back
First team to win the cup at home since the 2015 Blackhawks.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Stephane Dumas

Marc-André Fleury had been traded to Chicago. https://www.tsn.ca/marc-andre-fleury-chicago-blackhawks-vegas-golden-knights-1.1673506

QuoteMarc-André Fleury was traded from Vegas to Chicago on Tuesday, a stunning turn of events that has the NHL's reigning Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender contemplating his future.

The Golden Knights traded Fleury to the Blackhawks for minor league forward  in a salary dump. Fleury is set to count $7 million against the cap next season, the final year of his contract.

And that's if he reports at all. Agent Allan Walsh tweeted, "Marc-Andre will be taking time to discuss his situation with his family and seriously evaluate his hockey future at this time."

rickmastfan67

That's a shocker about MAF.

Seems that if he does play a season with Chicago and plans to retire after it, a 1-day contract with the Penguins seems possible now to retire as a Penguin.

Stephane Dumas

Philipp Danault leave the Habs and go to L.A. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/kings-sign-danault-to-six-year-33m-contract~2227880

QuoteThe Kings have signed defensive centre Phillip Danault to a six-year, $33 million contract. How much does this hurt the Canadiens moving forward? What does he bring to Los Angeles? The TSN Hockey panel has more.

Stephane Dumas

Former Blackhawks star and goaltender Tony Esposito passed away. :(
https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/1425220145795014658

1995hoo

The Athletic reports the City of Glendale will not renew the Coyotes' lease on their arena after next season, in part because apparently the team is close to $1.5 million in arrears on its rent.

Be interesting to see what happens.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 19, 2021, 06:01:39 PM
The Athletic reports the City of Glendale will not renew the Coyotes' lease on their arena after next season, in part because apparently the team is close to $1.5 million in arrears on its rent.

Be interesting to see what happens.
I'd say they would have to pay the rent, but there's no way they can cover that cost.

SP Cook

The NHL wants the team to remain in Phoenix, the 11th largest TV market in the country, in a region that is fast growing, and is the retirement area popular with two hockey friendly regions, Chicago and the upper Midwest; and western Canada. 

That would mean moving, at least temporary to what is currently known as the Footprint Center (it changes names regularly) and share with the Suns.  They played there when they first move to Phoenix.  It was not designed for hockey and won't work permanently.  Another possibility would be Arizona State's basketball arena, but it also was not designed for hockey and would probably seat less than 13K with a rink. 

The team has wanted someone (taxpayers) to build it an arena on the eastern edge of the area, which is where the retirees are more concentrated. 

The usual suspects are lined up, all of which have issues.  In the US, Kansas City has a fairly new arena and no NBA competition.  In Canada, Quebec City has wanted a team since it lost the one it had, but the economic situation there really has no changed, probably gotten worse.

CoreySamson

Houston Aeros, anyone? The team could stay in the West division, they already have a stadium, and some people down here have wanted a hockey team for quite some time (plus I'd bet you'd see a lot more new fans, I'm sure I would start watching hockey more if Houston had a team). This would be the perfect time for Houston to get a team.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alps

Quote from: SP Cook on August 20, 2021, 01:47:07 PM
The NHL wants the team to remain in Phoenix, the 11th largest TV market in the country, in a region that is fast growing, and is the retirement area popular with two hockey friendly regions, Chicago and the upper Midwest; and western Canada. 

That would mean moving, at least temporary to what is currently known as the Footprint Center (it changes names regularly) and share with the Suns.  They played there when they first move to Phoenix.  It was not designed for hockey and won't work permanently.  Another possibility would be Arizona State's basketball arena, but it also was not designed for hockey and would probably seat less than 13K with a rink. 

The team has wanted someone (taxpayers) to build it an arena on the eastern edge of the area, which is where the retirees are more concentrated. 

The usual suspects are lined up, all of which have issues.  In the US, Kansas City has a fairly new arena and no NBA competition.  In Canada, Quebec City has wanted a team since it lost the one it had, but the economic situation there really has no changed, probably gotten worse.
But why would any other arena in Phoenix want to take a team that's $1.5 million in arrears? What arena could possibly do that much better at attracting visitors?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SP Cook on August 20, 2021, 01:47:07 PM
In Canada, Quebec City has wanted a team since it lost the one it had, but the economic situation there really has no changed, probably gotten worse.

In today's multi-billion dollar sports media rights world, the fact that 60-65% of Quebec City is less than proficient in English is also a marketing problem, because it pretty much restricts their pool of fans and corporate cash to eastern Quebec.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Quote from: Alps on August 20, 2021, 10:51:38 PM
But why would any other arena in Phoenix want to take a team that's $1.5 million in arrears? What arena could possibly do that much better at attracting visitors?

From what my uncle, whose son played high school hockey in Scottsdale, has said, there are a good number of hockey fans in the Phoenix area but the overwhelming majority of them live on the eastern side of the area (Scottsdale, Tempe) and it just takes far too much time to go to Glendale for weeknight games. It works for the Arizona Football Team because the overwhelming majority of NFL games are played on Sunday.

Who knows how much of a factor that is compared to other issues, but I have no reason to doubt that it is at least "a" factor. Also, you make a very valid point about the arrearages.

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 20, 2021, 07:16:18 PM
Houston Aeros, anyone? The team could stay in the West division, they already have a stadium, and some people down here have wanted a hockey team for quite some time (plus I'd bet you'd see a lot more new fans, I'm sure I would start watching hockey more if Houston had a team). This would be the perfect time for Houston to get a team.

Central Division, actually. The league is reverting to the standard divisions for the upcoming season and they've moved Arizona to the Central to make room for Seattle. Many people have noted how doing that would work perfectly for a move to Houston or Kansas City because they'd already be in the correct division.

(I saw something obviously meant as a joke saying they should move to Atlanta so the original Winnipeg franchise would complete the circle with the new Winnipeg franchise that originated in Atlanta.)

Roadgeekteen

I hope the Coyotes don't move the Maple Leafs would not have their best player if it wasn't for the Coyotes.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Stephane Dumas

If the Coyotes move to Kansas City, will they dust-off the old Scouts name once weared by the previous team named the Scouts who became the Colorado Rockies after 1976 and then the New Jersey Devils in 1982?

SP Cook

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 22, 2021, 01:57:06 PM
If the Coyotes move to Kansas City, will they dust-off the old Scouts name once weared by the previous team named the Scouts who became the Colorado Rockies after 1976 and then the New Jersey Devils in 1982?

Since the Scouts used Indian imagery and referred to the "Indian Scouts" attached to the US Calvary in the old west era, doubt it.

Fun fact, KC originally wanted to be the Mohawks, which was a mash up of the postal code for Missouri and the Kansas Jayhawks, but Chicago objected.  That one wouldn't fly today either.

jp the roadgeek

Of course if the Coyotes become Les Nordiques Nouveau, they would have to go into the Atlantic Division.  The easiest solution would have Detroit going to the Central.  However, I would think the timing would be right to put the Florida teams in the Metropolitan (just ridiculous that Boston and Montreal have to fly over all of Metropolitan country to play division games).  Best solution:

Atlantic: BOS, BUF, CBJ/DET, MON, OTT, PIT, QUE, TOR,
Metropolitan: CAR, FLA, NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI, WAS, TB

Either Columbus or Detroit would go west. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: SP Cook on August 22, 2021, 02:07:50 PM

Since the Scouts used Indian imagery and referred to the "Indian Scouts" attached to the US Calvary in the old west era, doubt it.

Fun fact, KC originally wanted to be the Mohawks, which was a mash up of the postal code for Missouri and the Kansas Jayhawks, but Chicago objected.  That one wouldn't fly today either.

How about KC "Dustwinds" as a nod to the song from the band Kansas "Dust in the wind"? ;)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 22, 2021, 02:37:52 PM
Of course if the Coyotes become Les Nordiques Nouveau, they would have to go into the Atlantic Division.  The easiest solution would have Detroit going to the Central.  However, I would think the timing would be right to put the Florida teams in the Metropolitan (just ridiculous that Boston and Montreal have to fly over all of Metropolitan country to play division games).  Best solution:

Detroit got out of the Central because they didn't want to be the only team in their division in their time zone. Bad for your TV ratings to have most of your road games being late starts locally.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 22, 2021, 02:37:52 PM

The league won't split Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. They did that in the 1990s and more or less acknowledged that it was a mistake.

They're also unlikely to split Columbus from Pittsburgh because they've acknowledged that the visiting crowd when Pittsburgh visits Columbus is important revenue for said franchise.

The better solution, if there were to be a relocation to Quebec, would be for the Florida Panthers to move there while the Coyotes move to Houston or Kansas City. It's quite understandable why the league doesn't want to let that happen, though, especially when it would leave Tampa essentially orphaned geographically.

TheHighwayMan3561

Detroit pressed loudly for years to be moved to the Eastern Conference to cut their West Coast trips, and being a legacy franchise it's unlikely they will be made to go back.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Stephane Dumas

In memory of Rod Gilbert who was part of the "GAG line" with Jean Ratelle and Vic Hadfield with the NY Rangers in the late 1960's-early 1970's.
https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1429595170484465669

KCRoadFan

Canada recently reopened their border to Americans, but the US hasn't reciprocated yet. Assuming that doesn't change in the next couple months, how will that affect the schedule this season (or at least the early part of it) vis-a-vis the Canadian teams? Or are there exemptions in place for them, assuming they're vaccinated? That's what I would like to know.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 22, 2021, 03:08:19 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on August 22, 2021, 02:07:50 PM

How about KC "Dustwinds" as a nod to the song from the band Kansas "Dust in the wind"? ;)

I don't really like that name - but here's some names I've thought up for a hockey team that comes to my city, as well as my reasons for them:

KC Blades (takes the name of a former minor-league team, from the now-defunct IHL)
KC Bosses (alludes to "Boss Tom" Pendergast; also follows the "leader word" naming convention of the Royals and Chiefs)
KC Jazz (alludes to the city's musical history; unlike a certain basketball team in Utah, the team's name would actually make sense for KC)
KC Mavericks (takes the name of an existing minor-league team in the area, as a number of new or relocated baseball teams have done over the years; presumably, if KC gets a major-league hockey team, the existing team would relocate or at least change their name)
KC Smokers (alludes to barbecue, which is a big part of KC's identity)
KC Twisters (alludes to the city's location in "Tornado Alley")
KC Wizards (takes the former name of the Sporting KC soccer team; also alludes to "The Wizard of Oz," which is set in neighboring Kansas)

What do you make of these names? I think they're great.

Alps

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 04, 2021, 12:27:08 PM
Canada recently reopened their border to Americans, but the US hasn't reciprocated yet. Assuming that doesn't change in the next couple months, how will that affect the schedule this season (or at least the early part of it) vis-a-vis the Canadian teams? Or are there exemptions in place for them, assuming they're vaccinated? That's what I would like to know.
There are procedures in place to allow them to play.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.