News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadmaestro95

And Marc Staal is looking pretty sharp for his first reg season game since getting a shot to the eye...it's great to see him back on the ice.
Too bad the Rangers couldn't beat the Coyotes...expected though because 9 games on the road to start the season will damage them pretty good.
Hope everyone is safe!

Desert Man

The 20th anniversary of the (Mighty) Ducks and last week, the Ducks played in their original 1993 uniforms (teal, grey and purple) with the duck goalie mask logo. Those are cute but bold colors, made me remember the 10th season (2002-03) when the Ducks played in the first Stanley cup. Although the 2007 Ducks won the cup in the current orange, beige and black; I admit it doesn't matter what uniforms or colors they played in...but the retro-uniforms of the Disney ownership era brings back great memories for the Ducks franchise.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Mike D boy on October 19, 2013, 10:22:42 PM
The 20th anniversary of the (Mighty) Ducks and last week, the Ducks played in their original 1993 uniforms (teal, grey and purple) with the duck goalie mask logo. Those are cute but bold colors, made me remember the 10th season (2002-03) when the Ducks played in the first Stanley cup. Although the 2007 Ducks won the cup in the current orange, beige and black; I admit it doesn't matter what uniforms or colors they played in...but the retro-uniforms of the Disney ownership era brings back great memories for the Ducks franchise.
Imagine they decide to wear the green, purple, and yellow unis from the first movie?! I'd think that would be kinda nice to see (although I thought they were awkwardly colored).
Hope everyone is safe!

Dougtone

I like roads, I like hockey.  What happens when you try to combine the two interests onto a hockey jersey.  Someone on Icethetics did just that recently.

http://www.icethetics.info/concepts/2013/9/20/0580-this-way-to-brooklyn.html

Note, this is just a concept.  I don't see any team willing to actually pull something like this off.

mgk920

I wonder of the Sabres might usurp that idea....

:hmmm:

Mike

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Dougtone on October 24, 2013, 07:11:27 AM
I like roads, I like hockey.  What happens when you try to combine the two interests onto a hockey jersey.  Someone on Icethetics did just that recently.

http://www.icethetics.info/concepts/2013/9/20/0580-this-way-to-brooklyn.html

Note, this is just a concept.  I don't see any team willing to actually pull something like this off.
If Buffalo were to push this idea, they would have to find their own Parkway sign...which is Green instead of white & black (and besides they cannot use the Thruway emblem as their logo...they are not "New York's team", and neither are the other two teams that share the state with the Sloppy Sabres).
Hope everyone is safe!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: mgk920 on October 24, 2013, 01:29:05 PM
I wonder of the Sabres might usurp that idea....

:hmmm:

Mike

Maybe the Sabres could use the QEW sign as an idea even if it ends technically at Fort Erie. ;)

Now if the Sabres and the Bills could find a way to end the Buffalo sports curse who affect only the major sports teams.... the minor leagues team (baseball) or sports not as popular as hockey and football (lacrosse) are not hit by some curse or jinx.

From http://fans.sabres.nhl.com/community/topic/45122-curse-of-buffalo-why-do-we-continue-to-suffer/
Why must we continue to suffer?

Are we really cursed?

We have pondered this perplexing subject and have found a possible answer to the WHY. It can be linked to a major event that took place in the city of Buffalo over one hundred years ago.

http://www.buffalocurse.com/

ALSO:
The Buffalo NY Sports Curse. Fact or Fiction?...

I was recently told by a co-worker of mine that there was a curse placed on all Buffalo NY based Major League (currently NHL & NFL) Sports teams. This is why the Buffalo Bills have never won a Super Bowl and this is also why the Buffalo Sabres have never won a Stanley Cup. Consider the championship history our 2 teams have had and this curse legend seems to make sense, at least it does to me. I think the fact that Buffalo once had a NBA team here and lost it applies to this curse as well. I dont consider indoor lacrosse, football, soccer or triple A baseball to be major league sports teams.
Supposedly this curse was initiated by a lone Indian runner who was participating in a sanctioned foot race in the Buffalo area. This race was held in the early part of the 20th century,
somewhere around the 20's and 30's.

Legend has it that this lone Indian runner, who was racing against a field of white/caucasian competitors, was purposely tripped and couldnt finish the race. Upon being tripped the Indian immediately placed a curse upon on all the major league sports teams in the Buffalo area stating that they would never win a championship unless they were Indian owned and operated.
http://voices.yahoo.com/buffalo-ny-sports-curse-8660845.html?cat=14

amroad17

Didn't the Bills win consecutive AFL Championships in 1964 and 1965? :hmmm:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: amroad17 on January 07, 2014, 07:20:34 PM
Didn't the Bills win consecutive AFL Championships in 1964 and 1965? :hmmm:

Yes, but according to the webmaster of that website http://www.buffalocurse.com/bills.htm

Quote....The Bills, to their credit did win two AFL titles in 1964 and 1965 but little attention was given to the new fledgling league.

Stephane Dumas

Canada won the hockey gold medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics.  :sombrero: :bigass:

Brandon

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 23, 2014, 09:23:52 AM
Canada won the hockey gold medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics.  :sombrero: :bigass:

Congrats.  They (under Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock) played better as a team than the lackluster US team.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Does that mean we're stuck with Justin Beiber here in the US?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ET21

Quote from: US71 on February 23, 2014, 10:08:02 AM

I think every American should get a chance to punch him in the face. 318 million face punches  :)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Pete from Boston

Quote from: ET21 on February 24, 2014, 02:40:14 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 23, 2014, 10:08:02 AM

I think every American should get a chance to punch him in the face. 318 million face punches  :)

Deportation works just fine.  Can't we just exchange him and get Loverboy back?

Stephane Dumas

The St.Louis Blues and the Buffalo Sabres did a big trade.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444922

Desert Man

As a Ducks fan, I congratulate Teemu Selanne for helping Finland win bronze in the Winter Olympics. The US got a rock...but the US team played with class. The Ducks beat the Blues the other day, then comes the big trade: will the Blues be affected? Stay tuned.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

mjb2002

The Olympics ending = lots of chippy plays. There have been a lot of ejections in the NHL since the Olympics ended. I don't know if you can embed tweets on here, but the twitter account SportEjections has about a half dozen ejections since that time from the league from things like boarding to fight instigator within the last five minutes of the game.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mjb2002 on March 07, 2014, 03:02:53 PM
I don't know if you can embed tweets on here

Sorry, but that isn't possible.  You can only post a link to the tweet.

1995hoo

"The team will make the playoffs, as I promised, 10 to 15 years in a row. There is a 10 to 15 year horizon."
–Ted Leonsis, July 2011

:verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

Minnesota's playoff plan: injure everyone on the opposing team  :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

I saw that video of a goaltender for the Columbus Cottonmouths of the SPHL acting as a cheerleader.

cpzilliacus

Is this going to make the Capitals a better team in the playoffs?  If they ever get back there, that is.

General Manager George McPhee, Coach Adam Oates will not return to Capitals

QuoteNeither George McPhee nor Adam Oates will return to the Washington Capitals next season, owner Ted Leonsis announced Saturday two weeks after the team failed to reach the postseason for the first time in seven years.

QuoteAfter 17 years at the helm in Washington, McPhee, 55, was the third longest-tenured general manager in the NHL behind New Jersey's Lou Lamoriello (27 years) and Carolina's Jim Rutherford (20 years) but unlike those two his teams have never won a Stanley Cup.

QuoteThe Capitals reached the playoffs 10 of the 16 seasons with McPhee calling the shots but advanced beyond the second round only once, in his first year as general manager. He had also hired five different first-time NHL head coaches during his tenure, including a carousel of three from November 2011-June 2012, with none able to produce a successful postseason team.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Desert Man

The 2014 NHL Playoffs are on! The Kings-Ducks series in the second round is the first postseason matchup of two southern CA teams. The Kings got past the Sharks (also in CA) and Ducks defeated Dallas in the first round. I have game 7 on at 3rd period: Kings 5, Ducks 1 (not good for the Ducks). The Ducks would have to pull off an impossible strategy to win the series to advance to the western conference (looks like the Kings can do it).   

Alps

For the first time in 20 years, the NY Rangers are in the Cup finals!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on May 29, 2014, 11:17:00 PM
For the first time in 20 years, the NY Rangers are in the Cup finals!

Which makes it at least 21 and counting for the $&@€Â£%# Knicks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.