Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Born and raised a Pens fan.

One of these days I will get the 09 Cup parade page up.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on March 19, 2010, 09:48:27 PM
One of these days I will get the 09 Cup parade page up.

I should get some of mine posted as well.  Where did you setup?  I setup myself at the start of the parade and then made my way to the end.  I wasn't able to see the stage myself once I got there, I was able to setup where they had all of the buses parked for the Pens to get on.  And I did get some good shots of Crosby with the Cup there.

EDIT: A quick resize and protection of this picture. :)

PAHighways

I was at the corner of the Boulevard of the Allies and Smithfield Street, the same place I stood four months earlier (and 50 degrees colder) for the Steelers' parade.

BigMattFromTexas

Is it strange for a Texan to be a Pens fan?
BigMatt

PAHighways

Quote from: BigMatt on March 20, 2010, 01:48:22 AMIs it strange for a Texan to be a Pens fan?

No, there are Pens fans all over the place.  I know a guy who lives in Hawaii whose never been to Pittsburgh, but began following the Steelers in the 70s and then became a fan of the Penguins and Pirates as well.

algorerhythms

I have to admit feeling conflicted when seeing Sid the Kid defeat the U.S. team in the Olympics...

un1

Everyone here is a Penguins fan because of this guy, our hometown boy.  :sombrero: I realize there's three ''hometown boys'' but he seems to take all the fame away from the other two. But really I'm not a huge hockey fan as crazy as it sounds.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

rickmastfan67

Quote from: un1 on March 20, 2010, 10:33:13 AM
Everyone here is a Penguins fan because of this guy, our hometown boy.  :sombrero: I realize there's three ''hometown boys'' but he seems to take all the fame away from the other two. But really I'm not a huge hockey fan as crazy as it sounds.

Hehe, I got Jordan's autograph after a Pens game once during his rookie season. :)

CanesFan27

hey, BigMatt did you watch yesterday's Pens game?

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 21, 2010, 10:03:10 AM
hey, BigMatt did you watch yesterday's Pens game?
I was actually in Mexico, but I texted Google SMS for the score, y'all got lucky...  :ded:

*EDIT*
It has to be somewhat akward Jordan and Eric Staal playing each other Pens vs Canes...
BigMatt

PAHighways

Quote from: BigMatt on March 21, 2010, 04:24:13 PMIt has to be somewhat akward Jordan and Eric Staal playing each other Pens vs Canes...

No more awkward than when the Pens play the Rangers with Marc Staal.  The awkwardness was probably more pronounced last year during the Eastern Conference Finals.

CanesFan27

Quote from: PAHighways on March 21, 2010, 05:28:15 PM
Quote from: BigMatt on March 21, 2010, 04:24:13 PMIt has to be somewhat akward Jordan and Eric Staal playing each other Pens vs Canes...

No more awkward than when the Pens play the Rangers with Marc Staal.  The awkwardness was probably more pronounced last year during the Eastern Conference Finals.

Or when the Ruutu brothers play each other...or in the 80s and 90s when the Sutter brothers played each other.

BigMattFromTexas

Kinda like the Manning brothers... haha
BigMatt

CanesFan27

For those that may be interested, photos from yesterday's Carolina/Buffalo game:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15530177@N05/sets/72157623546897657/

TheStranger

With all this brother talk, don't forget Wayne and Keith Primeau fighting each other once in a game...
Chris Sampang

Scott5114

Maybe to get C.C. Slater to join the forum we should retitle this thread to "the goddam hockies".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: BigMatt on March 19, 2010, 05:04:27 PM
Quote from: osu-lsu on March 19, 2010, 04:32:24 PM
Marc-Andre Fluery, the best goalie ever?!?!???!?  :ded:
Yuh buddy
BigMatt

Better than Brodeur or Roy or Sauchuck? 
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

BigMattFromTexas

Dang'it Pens shut out 2-0 by the Lightning at the Igloo... :ded:

Dougtone

Quote from: cu2010 on March 17, 2010, 03:36:43 PM
Clarkson Golden Knights for me (in the same league as RPI and Union, already mentioned in this thread).  Unfortunately, we didn't have such a great year...we finished 12th in the ECAC standings for the first time in history.  Jim, you prolly remember that 11-2 disaster from earlier in the season over at Messa (though the game against Union at home wasn't much better...the Dutchmen scored twice within the first 40 seconds of the second period and our whole team lost it from there)...that was the lowpoint of our season (I was not there- the women's hockey team was at home losing to RPI that night...our PA announcer gave up announcing the score of the men's game after a while). Injuries plagued us all season, though we made a run at the end of the season, very nearly beating archrival St. Lawrence in the first round of the playoffs.

Good luck to the Dutchmen this weekend, especially Friday night against SLU.  I don't want SLU in the title game- I hate them so much.  Rooting for Brown in the other game- I also hate Cornell.

I'm also a Clarkson women's hockey fan...the team won my heart three years ago when I attended my first women's game.  They just finished their best season in school history...2nd place in the ECAC standings, made it to the ECAC title game (though lost), and made it to the NCAA tournament for the first time in history (though lost in OT).

Regarding the shootout rule, some conferences use them for regular season games only, but all playoff games use the multiple OT until someone wins rules.  The ECAC does not use the shootout- in the regular season, if the game remains tied after five minutes of OT, it is a tie.

Quote from: Jim on March 16, 2010, 06:48:23 AM
Union broke its own record for the longest game in NCAA history.  They had played (and also lost) the only other 5 OT game in history just 4 years ago when they lost to Yale in a first-round game. 

There have been two other 5OT games in NCAA history, both women's games...the one that was the longest until last weekend was a 1996 game between Providence and UNH, with UNH defeating Providence 3-2 about 5 1/2 minutes into the fifth overtime, and the second occuring just 2 1/2 weeks ago between Quinny and RPI, with RPI winning 3-2 about 4 1/2 minutes into the fifth OT.

College hockey is great. :D

In the NHL, the Detroit Red Wings, fan from birth.

Is George Roll still the head coach for Clarkson men's hockey?  He was the men's head coach for hockey at Oswego State when I was a student there.

Dougtone

For hockey, I'm a fan of the New York Islanders.  I grew up on Long Island, and do occasionally get back to the Island for Islanders games.  I've also attended NHL games in Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Chicago and Phoenix, and I will be attending a Devils-Islanders game in New Jersey next weekend.  Once, I checked out an NHL exhibition game between the Bruins and Devils in Providence.

I've also attended minor league games in Albany and Binghamton, and may check out a minor league game in Glens Falls next season.  I've also attended a bevy of college hockey games at Oswego State (my alma mater), Cortland State, Buffalo State, Plattsburgh State and an Union-RPI game in Schenectady.

I don't know what the status of the AHL is in Albany, since I just moved back and the current incarnation of the River Rats are moving to Charlotte.  I've heard that the Devils AHL team (currently in Lowell) may move back to Albany.  But I may just start following Union or RPI instead.

cu2010

Quote from: dougtone on April 03, 2010, 07:52:16 AM
Is George Roll still the head coach for Clarkson men's hockey?  He was the men's head coach for hockey at Oswego State when I was a student there.

Yes. Just finished his sixth season.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alps

Hockey's back.  Today brings news that Darcy Tucker is retiring.  So who are your favorite or least favorite enforcers in the sport?

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

CanesFan27

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Is Marc-Andre Fluery still the best goalie ever?  :hmmm:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.