News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Montana is just a butt of a joke in NCAA

Started by Billy F 1988, September 20, 2019, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

Montana (Big Sky) taking on #15 Oregon (well, why the hell else, PAC-12). Montana gets creamed by 30! Most of the mistakes were on Montana anyhow, but that led me to thinking. Why should Group of Five schools play Power Five schools if a Group of Five School can't muster points, let alone wins against even ONE Power Five school?! This makes absolutely no sense. I mean, Montana just fell flat on its face against Syracuse in the NCAA basketball torneys, clobbered by Michigan in last season's tourney, and now it can't even take on the PAC-12. Let alone ONE GHANDI'S FLIP FLOP MEMBER of the PAC-12! Well, why should Montana play USC or UCLA if they can't compete against Oregon?! If Montana can't even muster a fraction of the points that Power Five schools pile on each other, then, that Montana shouldn't play ANY Power Five school, PERIOD!

Sadly, I like to think Montana as a long-forgotten also-ran. No sense in puttin' your fantasy points on this festering pile of hot garbage. Your better off just leaving Montana out of any fantasy lineup 'cause it ain't got shit against anything else, and that's sad coming from one who lives in this very state, not even a fan, not even a part of the fandom, but, yet, I hear of something like this, and that's all I can think of now.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

oscar

The Pac-12 conference has to be the weakest of the "Power 5". Don't even think about scheduling against the SEC, unless one of its teams needs a "cupcake" opponent and is willing to offer a lot of money to make that happen.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on September 20, 2019, 05:23:15 PM
The Pac-12 conference has to be the weakest of the "Power 5". Don't even think about scheduling against the SEC, unless one of its teams needs a "cupcake" opponent and is willing to offer a lot of money to make that happen.

The Tennessee Volunteers would beg to differ with you.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ce929wax

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2019, 08:53:06 PMThe Tennessee Volunteers would beg to differ with you.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

The Volunteers have to be the worst football team in the SEC.  They lose to Georgia State week one, who turns around and loses to WESTERN MICHIGAN of the MAC 57-10 week three.   I do believe that the Vols are probably going to go 0-8 (9?) in the SEC this year.  I would hate to still be living in Knoxville this year.  I'll never forget the year (2010, or 11, HB would know) that the Vols ended their consecutive winning streak against Kentucky.  I thought Knoxville was going to riot that year.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

nexus73

"Body bag" games are used to enhance revenue for the FCS teams and as schedule fillers for the FBS teams.  Every now and then the little guys beat the Big Guys.  Montana has defeated Oregon State before.  Portland State has won at Hawai'i.  Sacramento State beat Oregon State.  UC-Davis upended Stanford.

The biggest upset was Appalachian State beating Michigan when Appalachian State was FCS.  That was a ranked Michgan team which lost as a huge favorite.

Add in some close calls.  Sometimes you get a tough piece of meat to chew on!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ET21

Bolsters the schedule. NIU played Nebraska as a 50 point underdog two years ago, came out not only with a $750K check but a big upset win in Lincoln. This year they did the same but got clobbered. NIU also only was down 4 points to then #13 Utah at the half and lost 35-17.

We all who saw NIU go to the Orange Bowl a few years back knew immediately we were the reason why the NCAA redid the playoff/bowl setup. We came and upset the status quo  :bigass:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hbelkins

Quote from: ce929wax on September 20, 2019, 11:21:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2019, 08:53:06 PMThe Tennessee Volunteers would beg to differ with you.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

The Volunteers have to be the worst football team in the SEC.  They lose to Georgia State week one, who turns around and loses to WESTERN MICHIGAN of the MAC 57-10 week three.   I do believe that the Vols are probably going to go 0-8 (9?) in the SEC this year.  I would hate to still be living in Knoxville this year.  I'll never forget the year (2010, or 11, HB would know) that the Vols ended their consecutive winning streak against Kentucky.  I thought Knoxville was going to riot that year.

It was 2011 (I had to check, can't believe it's been that long) and what was remarkable about it was UK was playing a wide receiver as an option quarterback because both of its regular QBs were injured.

Of course, Tennessee had a subpar year last year, but they got well against UK in what was an absolutely dismal game for the Wildcats. I fully expect UT to win any time the Vols take the field agains tht eWildcats.

US 41

Montana is not a G5 school, they are an FCS (1AA) school. FCS schools play P5 opponents for the money and nothing else. Unless your NDSU, most FCS schools have no expectation of winning these games, especially against ranked FBS opponents. Most P5 schools pay out around $500K to host an FCS school, while most G5 schools will pay out $300K to host an FCS school.

There is also a scholarship difference between FBS (1A) and FCS (1AA). FBS gets 85, while FCS gets 63. Some FCS conferences have a lower limit than 63, and one conference (Pioneer League) doesn't offer athletic scholarships. (The Pioneer gives out academic to get around Title IX.) There is also an average attendance requirement of 15000 for FBS, while there isn't one in FCS. FCS also plays a 24 team playoff and those teams are not eligible for bowl games.

Ranked FBS schools have only been upset 4 times by FCS schools:
App State over #5 Michigan
James Madison over #13 Virginia Tech
Eastern Washington over #25 Oregon State
North Dakota State over #13 Iowa

Just this season Northern Iowa took #21 Iowa State to 3OTs but couldn't pull off the upset.

However Montana isn't as good as they used to be. North Dakota State and South Dakota State might have a lot to do with that. It seems like they are both sucking up all of the talent. I'm an Indiana State fan and we compete in the MVFC with both NDSU and SDSU. It continues to amaze me that they both haven't been added to the MVC for all sports.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on September 21, 2019, 12:22:23 AM
Don't forget the loss to BYU. :D

That was especially frustrating because USC went on to beat Utah, who had easily defeated their southern neighbors earlier in the season for the 9th time in a row.  :poke:

This is what happens to the Pac-12 every single year. I don’t think it’s too far off the other P5, but I think the issue is all in conference makeup. Most other conferences are dominated by a few really good teams and a bunch of shitty teams fill up the rest. The majority of the Pac-12 schools aren’t bad, but they’re inconsistent and all play at about the same level. As a result, the conference self-destructs every year and almost never produces any teams worthy of playoff consideration.

nexus73

Quote from: US 89 on September 23, 2019, 12:51:35 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 21, 2019, 12:22:23 AM
Don't forget the loss to BYU. :D

That was especially frustrating because USC went on to beat Utah, who had easily defeated their southern neighbors earlier in the season for the 9th time in a row.  :poke:

This is what happens to the Pac-12 every single year. I don't think it's too far off the other P5, but I think the issue is all in conference makeup. Most other conferences are dominated by a few really good teams and a bunch of shitty teams fill up the rest. The majority of the Pac-12 schools aren't bad, but they're inconsistent and all play at about the same level. As a result, the conference self-destructs every year and almost never produces any teams worthy of playoff consideration.

You hit the nail on the head regarding this season for sure.  Funny to see Cal as the last undefeated Pac-12 team!  How they beat UW in Seattle is beyond me.  8 of 12 decent teams is what we have this year.

Then look at the SEC this week.  5 teams in the Top Ten.  The only other conference with more than one team in the Top Ten is the Big Ten with two.  Oh if only Oregon played like Ducks instead of Sucks in the 2nd half vs Auburn.  That was the Pac-12's best chance to get a team into the CFP.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SP Cook

IMHO,

- "Power 5"  schools should play Power 5 and Group of 5 schools; Group of 5 should play Power 5, Group of 5, and I-AA (FCS, which is a stupid name) schools; I-AA should play Group of 5, I-AA and Div II schools.  No one should play more than one level up or down from their group or division. 

- People that criticize the SEC's current scheduling system have no understanding of just how great all the teams in the S.E.C. are.  The 7th place team in the S.E.C. would finish no lower than 2nd in any other conference most years.

- "Money games"  which is to say games where the visiting team is paid rather than receiving a return game, finance college sports for the smaller schools. 

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on September 23, 2019, 09:41:24 AM
IMHO,

- "Power 5"  schools should play Power 5 and Group of 5 schools; Group of 5 should play Power 5, Group of 5, and I-AA (FCS, which is a stupid name) schools; I-AA should play Group of 5, I-AA and Div II schools.  No one should play more than one level up or down from their group or division. 

- People that criticize the SEC's current scheduling system have no understanding of just how great all the teams in the S.E.C. are.  The 7th place team in the S.E.C. would finish no lower than 2nd in any other conference most years.

- "Money games"  which is to say games where the visiting team is paid rather than receiving a return game, finance college sports for the smaller schools.

The above is true not just in football, but basketball as well. I've never understood why UK schedules so many small-conference foes  (unless they have some sort of UK tie, such as being coached by a former player) instead of the OVC schools in-state. But Western has been out of the OVC for years and would probably want a return home game, and Murray has long wanted a return home game, so that's probably why UK doesn't play them in the regular season. They do play Morehead and Eastern occasionally, and I would expect that Northern will be on the schedule some now that they've jumped to Division I. But I would rather see UK play Northern Kentucky and keep that money in-state instead of playing Northern Arizona.

thspfc

tdindy88

One of the reasons I respect Notre Dame (besides geography, ethnicity and religion.) They have never played a team lower than Division 1. USC as well is the only other team that has done this.

I don't care too much for the Power 5 teams playing these small schools but if they have to they need to be very early in the season. None of this playing a small school the week before the last game of your season. Once you hit late September/early October you need to be playing your conference opponents exclusively (which the exception of games against D-1 independents, the aforementioned Notre Dame.) The NFL has a preseason and then start out with normal competition on week one of the season, the colleges should do the same as well.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tdindy88

I'm Irish, Catholic and from Indiana. That's what I meant. It's my ethnicity I was talking about.

Alps

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 25, 2019, 10:51:20 PM
I'm Irish, Catholic and from Indiana. That's what I meant. It's my ethnicity I was talking about.
How do you feel about schools that admit non-whites?

tdindy88

I'm fine with all schools. I'm sorry I said anything. Please I meant no disrespect with anything I said.

US 41

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 25, 2019, 10:01:33 PM
They have never played a team lower than Division 1.

FCS / 1AA schools are still Division 1.

texaskdog

IMHO,

- “Power 5” schools should play Power 5 and Group of 5 schools; Group of 5 should play Power 5, Group of 5, and I-AA (FCS, which is a stupid name) schools; I-AA should play Group of 5, I-AA and Div II schools.  No one should play more than one level up or down from their group or division. 

- People that criticize the SEC’s current scheduling system have no understanding of just how great all the teams in the S.E.C. are.  The 7th place team in the S.E.C. would finish no lower than 2nd in any other conference most years.

- “Money games” which is to say games where the visiting team is paid rather than receiving a return game, finance college sports for the smaller schools. 

No, power 5 should play power 5, group of 5 should play group of 5. 

texaskdog

Auburn has 4 top 10 opponents remaining.  Clemson only has #22 Wake Forest left.

US 41

Going back to Montana. They are now 4-1 and are ranked 8th in the latest FCS (1AA) top 25 poll. I'm not so sure that is a butt of a joke. Montana went on the road and beat a team (UC Davis) by 25 that North Dakota St (who has won 7 of the last 8 FCS nat'l titles) only beat at home by 11. I think Montana is pretty legit this season at their level.

thspfc

Resurrecting this thread because Montana just shocked Washington in their season opener 13-7. Washington was ranked in the top 25 and probably the second favorite to win the Pac-12 North after Oregon.

So maybe Montana isn't the butt of a joke after all?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: thspfc on September 05, 2021, 07:54:04 AM
Resurrecting this thread because Montana just shocked Washington in their season opener 13-7. Washington was ranked in the top 25 and probably the second favorite to win the Pac-12 North after Oregon.

So maybe Montana isn't the butt of a joke after all?

Nope.  UConn football is :) Lost to Holy Cross by double digits at home.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.