News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Southern Illinois Notes

Started by 3467, October 26, 2019, 01:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winchester just closed the schools for a couple of weeks so.....

triplemultiplex

What's with the rumble strips between the lanes on the newly opened six lane portion of I-57 north of Marion?  What a dumb idea.  Now every lane change makes a shit load of noise for anyone living within a mile of the freeway.
It's especially dumb because lane departure warning is going to be a standard feature on all vehicles in a few years.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ilpt4u

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 03, 2020, 08:36:57 PM
What's with the rumble strips between the lanes on the newly opened six lane portion of I-57 north of Marion?  What a dumb idea.  Now every lane change makes a shit load of noise for anyone living within a mile of the freeway.
It's especially dumb because lane departure warning is going to be a standard feature on all vehicles in a few years.
I haven't driven that recently, but I'm guessing it relates to Distracted Driving issues

Is that really much different than "the rumble"  one gets out in Cali or Nevada with the Bott Dots?

The amount of Semis on that stretch of I-57, pretty sure there are already plenty of noises along that route

InterstateHistorian

Yes as far as distracted driving and falling asleep behind the wheel, that should wake you up pretty quick.
----------------------------------------------
So many states traveled, but still 24 more to go.
----------------------------------------------

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 03, 2020, 09:00:19 PM
I haven't driven that recently, but I'm guessing it relates to Distracted Driving issues

Is that really much different than "the rumble"  one gets out in Cali or Nevada with the Bott Dots?

The amount of Semis on that stretch of I-57, pretty sure there are already plenty of noises along that route

Considering how many people I see "migrating" over into other lanes, especially semis, I am all for it if it keeps people in their lane! It may not be feasible on an urban Interstate, but routes in Southern Illinois could benefit from this.

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 03, 2020, 03:49:09 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 03, 2020, 09:00:19 PM

Considering how many people I see "migrating" over into other lanes, especially semis, I am all for it if it keeps people in their lane! It may not be feasible on an urban Interstate, but routes in Southern Illinois could benefit from this.

Having fallen asleep on my motorcycle at speed, I am all for passive devices that increase alertness.

Something new for the area. IDOT  has IllInois 97 expressway up in Featured Projects. And I feel at home in many of these old studies it has its EA from 1997.
They did have to update this in 2017 and shows you just can't dust off an old study.
This section has over 10000 vpd  . The next section has a brand new 8 to 10 foot shoulder. For just under 6000. Looks like 10k is the current standard.

So we have dead projects
US 51
US 50
US 30

Not officially pulled like the others but would need a major rewrite or new study
Illinois 336 really killed by 24 instead.
Illinois 29
US 20 Discussed in Great Lakes thread
Continuing Construction
67 and 34

Under Study
Southwest Connnector
Peoria Bypass.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on February 14, 2021, 01:25:56 PM
Something new for the area. IDOT  has IllInois 97 expressway up in Featured Projects. And I feel at home in many of these old studies it has its EA from 1997.
They did have to update this in 2017 and shows you just can't dust off an old study.
This section has over 10000 vpd  . The next section has a brand new 8 to 10 foot shoulder. For just under 6000. Looks like 10k is the current standard.

So we have dead projects
US 51
US 50
US 30

Not officially pulled like the others but would need a major rewrite or new study
Illinois 29
Continuing Construction
67 and 34

Under Study
Southwest Connnector
Peoria Bypass.

As I responded elsewhere. IL-97 in Sangamon County exists to get people to Lincoln's New Salem and back. There are some people who commute into Springfield (like from Pleasant Plains) but enough to warrant a four lane west of Veterans Parkway?

I can't see where the volume is coming from.  The one constraint is the former CNW bridge, now the Sangamon Valley Trail. No shoulders today as it is. It would have to be replaced.

It carries over 10000 a day  what can I say?

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on February 15, 2021, 04:50:11 PM
It carries over 10000 a day  what can I say?

I don't doubt you, I just can't find a reason.

Part of it goes to Beardstown and the other part goes to Havana.

Both declining river cities.

Beardstown has JBS Meat Processing. But already has rail access, so its not like they are trucking down to transload.

The only other type of traffic I can come up with is Macomb based. Its out of the way to go I-74 via Peoria and I-72 via Quincy.

Havana is about to lose its longtime coal fired power plant.

There isn't any significant industry heading in/out of Springfield to the NW other than the New Salem park.

The general population shift in Springfield has been south (Chatham-Glenwood) or west (Washington Street/Old US 36)

I will have to look at the studies and see where the traffic is coming and going.

The pork plants don't use the railroads. Also 67 is just like 2900 south of Macomb. There is a lot of development in that part of Springfield. I suspect it's local but 125 is pretty busy. The next section is nearly 6000. They did a great repave  with 8 foot shoulder .

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on February 15, 2021, 08:38:38 PM
The pork plants don't use the railroads. Also 67 is just like 2900 south of Macomb. There is a lot of development in that part of Springfield. I suspect it's local but 125 is pretty busy. The next section is nearly 6000. They did a great repave  with 8 foot shoulder .

I looked at the presentation found here:

https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/IDOT-Projects/District-6/IL-97/documents/Presentation.pdf

It appears to be a mix of Beardstown traffic and New Salem traffic.

All new ROW once they replace the former CNW bridge (now Sangamon Trail).

I checked on what JBS Meats (Swift) uses the railroad for, they bring in corn sweeteners and raw soy product. But they don't ship any finished product by rail. Its all by refrigerated truck. So that explains most of the rest.

It's all online . Comments are open.
The drone is a new angle.
Btw the plans for the 67 reconstruction in Warren up. 5 foot shoukders. Complete reconstruction.3 million a mile.
Still wonder what they are doing for 3 million a mile from Macomb to Industry.

adt1982

Quote from: edwaleni on February 15, 2021, 03:29:36 PM

So we have dead projects
US 51
US 50
US 30

Illinois 29
Continuing Construction
67 and 34

Under Study
Southwest Connnector
Peoria Bypass.

As I responded elsewhere. IL-97 in Sangamon County exists to get people to Lincoln's New Salem and back. There are some people who commute into Springfield (like from Pleasant Plains) but enough to warrant a four lane west of Veterans Parkway?

I can't see where the volume is coming from.  The one constraint is the former CNW bridge, now the Sangamon Valley Trail. No shoulders today as it is. It would have to be replaced.

Go out and drive IL 97 from 7:00 AM on.  All it takes is one school bus or some slowpoke doing 10 under the speed limit to get a huge parade of cars putting along. There aren't many good passing zones.  The traffic count may not be that high, but most of that traffic is crammed into the morning and evening rush hour time slots. 

Oh I think it's warrented. . I just note that IDOT  thinks good shoulders and turn lanes are OK for 6000. Only US 30 had those volumes. All the other expressway studies are less or much less.

edwaleni

Quote from: adt1982 on February 17, 2021, 08:53:52 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on February 15, 2021, 03:29:36 PM

So we have dead projects
US 51
US 50
US 30

Illinois 29
Continuing Construction
67 and 34

Under Study
Southwest Connnector
Peoria Bypass.

Go out and drive IL 97 from 7:00 AM on.  All it takes is one school bus or some slowpoke doing 10 under the speed limit to get a huge parade of cars putting along. There aren't many good passing zones.  The traffic count may not be that high, but most of that traffic is crammed into the morning and evening rush hour time slots.

I read the initial study report online, they said its a mix of commuter, New Salem and commerical traffic.

Another road obit in today's the Match 3 federal register. The Peoria Bypass. The details of its passing in Illinois Notes.

Life returns to the U.S. 34 project. There is Supplemental EIS and public hearing on line it's under Projects  on the lower part of the poorly edited Featured Projects page.

Even if you don't care about the project the supplemental is worth a read on flood plain issues. Here they found a routing mostly outside the plain.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on November 14, 2021, 01:16:22 PM
Life returns to the U.S. 34 project. There is Supplemental EIS and public hearing on line it's under Projects  on the lower part of the poorly edited Featured Projects page.

Even if you don't care about the project the supplemental is worth a read on flood plain issues. Here they found a routing mostly outside the plain.

Is this the one between Burlington and Biggsville?

Yes it is. It's a little higher per mile than the average 4 lane it's 14 v 10 But 2 interchanges and a little floodplain.

Revive 755

IDOT is apparently having (or had?) a public meeting for keeping the corridor protecton for the IL 3 relocation around East St. Louis and the future full build out for the Stan Span/I-70 relocation:  https://idot.illinois.gov/projects/Relocated-Route-3_New-Mississippi-River-Bridge-Corridors-of-Protection.html

I tried to find where they had corridor protection but I can't find it online.

edwaleni

Quote from: 3467 on November 18, 2021, 09:32:55 AM
I tried to find where they had corridor protection but I can't find it online.

edwaleni

Here is the I-64 to Stan Span connector.

OK. Do they have a way to find other projects. I know it was cancelled on the Gateway Connector and Prairie Parkway.
I submitted comments to keep it on 67 never heard a thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.