Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

DX'ing?

(1/11) > >>

TravelingBethelite:
I had seen the thread on how far away you can receive your local radio stations. By extension, I was wondering if anyone else here engaged in long-distance listening (especially on FM).

Anyway, last night there was a great opening to the east. Where I currently am in east-central Texas, I was picking up stations from Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and even Gulfport, MS. Easily surpassing my previous record (201 miles) by nearly double (471 miles).

Life in Paradise:

--- Quote from: TravelingBethelite on March 27, 2020, 12:45:19 PM ---I had seen the thread on how far away you can receive your local radio stations. By extension, I was wondering if anyone else here engaged in long-distance listening (especially on FM).

Anyway, last night there was a great opening to the east. Where I currently am in east-central Texas, I was picking up stations from Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and even Gulfport, MS. Easily surpassing my previous record (201 miles) by nearly double (471 miles).

--- End quote ---
I haven't DX'd FM so much as I have the AM band and television.  Television isn't as fun anymore with the digital signals as compared to the old analog.  From my area near Evansville, IN I had picked up Cuba on a very strange day (1100+ miles), another day UHF stations from Chicago (300 miles away), and yet another day Regina, Saskatchewan (about 1200 miles).  Alas, I've become older and don't have as  much fun as before.

CNGL-Leudimin:
I love DXing. Why listen to a local station when you can listen to another station of the same network hundreds of (km/miles, pick what you like more) away. There are two main ways to do this on the FM band: Tropospheric ducting, which happens when there is a temperature inversion (gotta love foggy days :sombrero:); and Sporadic-E or E-skip, which happens when a layer of the ionosphere, the E layer, becomes densely ionized and reflects signals back and happens mostly during Summer. Last year I picked up a Moroccan station this way.

ftballfan:
From Manistee, MI, I have gotten tropo-enhanced stations from as far away as Kearney, Nebraska (nearly 700 miles!) with just a portable radio with its included whip antenna. I've gotten stations from as far away as El Paso, TX and Miami, FL via E-skip.

Lake Michigan (and the other Great Lakes) can also affect signals dramatically. At times, stations from Green Bay, Milwaukee, Wausau, Escanaba, Marinette, and Marquette can come in very strong. On multiple occasions, I've received a 250 watt translator from Wausau, WI that is on an adjacent frequency to a station three miles away.

nexus73:
Back when I was a teen, 2m propagation was taking place on a simplex frequency in this area.  Coquille OR was the receiving location.  Crescent City CA was where the transmission came from.  It was static-filled but readable.  The distance covered would be about 120 miles.  Power levels were likely 25W or less with the antennas being vertical ones instead of steerable yagis, so this was not taking place with optimum equipment and power levels.

Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version