News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

My friend Jeremy who is a DJ on 103.9 The Fox in Flint in the afternoon was filling in for Johnny Burke (the morning host) one day about two years ago and was going on with Aimee (Johnny's co-host who wasn't on vacation at the time) about how a hot dog is a sandwich. So they decided that they were going to have John Koegel of Koegel Meats who was going to be on the show that day decide on if a hot dog was a sandwich or not, fair enough. John said that it wasn't and Jeremy went on about how it's between two pieces of bread so therefore it's a sandwich.

I was at a Tigers-White Sox game about a month ago and they asked the question between innings so I texted Jeremy and told him that five people think that a hot dog is a sandwich and seven people think it's not a sandwich.

Scott5114

I don't eat hot dogs enough to keep hot dog buns around the house (they go bad before I use the whole package) so any time I eat hot dogs I use sandwich bread. The negative impact to my hot dog eating experience is negligible.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Buns last a lot longer if you put them in the fridge.

Anyway, I usually slice my hot dogs in half lengthwise, no matter what sort of bread I have them on.  At Five Guys, they do likewise and the bun is sliced all the way through:  in what way does that differ from a regular sandwich?

I also like to top my hamburger with a sliced hot dog.  If a hamburger is a sandwich, then so is that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 07:28:52 PM
Buns last a lot longer if you put them in the fridge.

Anyway, I usually slice my hot dogs in half lengthwise, no matter what sort of bread I have them on.  At Five Guys, they do likewise and the bun is sliced all the way through:  in what way does that differ from a regular sandwich?

I also like to top my hamburger with a sliced hot dog.  If a hamburger is a sandwich, then so is that.
You should actually freeze bread it becomes stall in the fridge if you leave in there too long.

kenarmy

- Britney Spears is the greatest singer ever and US 49 is better than your favorite highway, breathe if you agree.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

kurumi

If a tomato is a fruit, then ketchup (which has sugar) is a smoothie
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 04, 2021, 05:50:45 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 04, 2021, 08:40:04 AM
Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 05:13:47 PM
Po boy, actually.   :biggrin:

In that vein, I thought a sandwich had always to be made with sandwich bread. This is the usage of that word in Spain, a sub sandwich is a bocadillo instead.

In America you can make a sandwich out of anything, including cheese or fried chicken breasts.

there is a place here that will make you what i consider to be the ultimate grilled cheese:
hamburger patty with cheese inside (aka a 'juicy lucy') --- with two grilled cheese sandwiches as buns.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 02:51:28 PM
If you put your sandwich ingredients in a flatbread, or a pita, is it still a sandwich?  If the answer is yes, then how is a taco different?

Taco shell isn't bread.  It's crisp, more like a large tortilla chip.

noelbotevera

"Sandwich's sandwiches sandwich a sandwich" is a perfectly valid sentence

(Sandwich's (town) sandwiches (food) sandwich (verb) a sandwich (food again))

hotdogPi

My favorite (or favourite, considering the subject) is "British left waffles on Falkland Islands".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 1 on August 06, 2021, 10:12:16 AM
My favorite (or favourite, considering the subject) is "British left waffles on Falkland Islands".
British left (group) waffles (verb) on Falkland Islands - "the" is missing, but probably isn't necessary for the meaning (maybe that's a grammar error?)
British (noun) left (verb) waffles (noun) on Falkland Islands - still the same issue

hotdogPi

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 05, 2021, 09:42:08 PM
You should actually freeze bread it becomes stall in the fridge if you leave in there too long.

I've had bread get freezer burn, of sorts.  It gets hard on one side sometimes.  That doesn't tend to happen in the fridge.

Quote from: kurumi on August 06, 2021, 02:26:10 AM
If a tomato is a fruit, then ketchup (which has sugar) is a smoothie

The tomato is only a fruit botanically speaking.  So is zucchini, so are chickpeas, so are jalapeños, so are pea pods, so is okra, so are string beans, so are cucumbers–basically everything that's not a root or a stem or a leaf.  The distinction that makes tomatoes 'fruit' is meaningless in culinary usage.

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 02:51:28 PM
If you put your sandwich ingredients in a flatbread, or a pita, is it still a sandwich?  If the answer is yes, then how is a taco different?

Quote from: kkt on August 06, 2021, 08:28:43 AM
Taco shell isn't bread.  It's crisp, more like a large tortilla chip.

Hard-shell tacos are an American invention.  I'm talking about the kind of taco you might actually encounter in Mexico.  Tortillas are a form of unleavened bread.

In a similar vein, gorditas are slightly leavened and commonly stuffed with a filling.  As such, they're basically pita pockets–which are listed on Wikipedia under pocket sandwiches (as are hot dogs):  "Pocket sandwich is a sandwich which is made using a single piece of folded or hollowed bread, such as a pita, which is made from dough cooked with fillings inside."
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Quote from: kenarmy on August 06, 2021, 01:44:14 AM
- Britney Spears is the greatest singer ever and US 49 is better than your favorite highway, breathe if you agree.
- I am convinced this individual is a sockpuppet ... either it's Marf or tolbs17.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hotdogPi

Quote from: renegade on August 06, 2021, 02:04:21 PM
- I am convinced this individual is a sockpuppet ... either it's Marf or tolbs17.

Not a sockpuppet. kenarmy is an African-American living in Mississippi who has to deal with racism, and he speaks from experience. Neither of the two you mentioned would be able to pretend that this was the case.

kphoger

Breathe if you disagree.
Male pronouns, please.

renegade

Quote from: 1 on August 06, 2021, 02:14:25 PM

Not a sockpuppet. kenarmy is an African-American living in Mississippi who has to deal with racism, and he speaks from experience. Neither of the two you mentioned would be able to pretend that this was the case.
He speaks from experience about Britney Spears?

Thanks for butting in. 

kphoger

Britney Spears is the greatest singer ever and US 49 is better than your favorite highway ...

kenarmy is an African-American living in Mississippi who has to deal with racism, and he speaks from experience.

I'm a white guy from Kansas, but that doesn't mean I like Dennis Rader, the Dalton Gang, or Martina McBride.

No excuses.
Male pronouns, please.

frankenroad

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 05, 2021, 05:06:57 PM
My friend Jeremy who is a DJ on 103.9 The Fox in Flint in the afternoon was filling in for Johnny Burke (the morning host) one day about two years ago and was going on with Aimee (Johnny's co-host who wasn't on vacation at the time) about how a hot dog is a sandwich. So they decided that they were going to have John Koegel of Koegel Meats who was going to be on the show that day decide on if a hot dog was a sandwich or not, fair enough. John said that it wasn't and Jeremy went on about how it's between two pieces of bread so therefore it's a sandwich.

I was at a Tigers-White Sox game about a month ago and they asked the question between innings so I texted Jeremy and told him that five people think that a hot dog is a sandwich and seven people think it's not a sandwich.

Many years ago, I was in the process of negotiating a lease for a sandwich shop I was getting ready to open.   I wanted a clause in the lease that the landlord could not lease to any other restaurants whose primary product was sandwiches.   It took my attorney and their attorney too long (and too much $$) to determine if a hot-dog shop would violate that part of the lease.  The result was that, in that instance at least, a hot dog is NOT a sandwich.   Personally, I think both hot dogs and hamburgers, when served on buns, should be considered sandwiches.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2021, 02:32:35 PM

Britney Spears is the greatest singer ever and US 49 is better than your favorite highway ...

kenarmy is an African-American living in Mississippi who has to deal with racism, and he speaks from experience.

I'm a white guy from Kansas, but that doesn't mean I like Dennis Rader, the Dalton Gang, or Martina McBride.

No excuses.

kenarmy's most recent post here has nothing to do with my assertion that they're different people. I was replying to renegade's sock accusation, not the post quoted by renegade.

kphoger

Sorry.  Should have formatted my post appropriately.

[sarcasm]

No excuses.
[/sarcasm]

Male pronouns, please.

renegade

Quote from: 1 on August 06, 2021, 02:59:35 PM

No excuses.

kenarmy's most recent post here has nothing to do with my assertion that they're different people. I was replying to renegade's sock accusation, not the post quoted by renegade.
I didn't bring race into the discussion -- you did.  You're barking up the wrong tree.  Thanks again for butting in.

hotdogPi

I don't know how race became a forbidden subject entirely. I wasn't implying any racism in this thread; I was giving an example of something a sockpuppet couldn't replicate.

For another example of one of his posts a sockpuppet couldn't replicate (unless they're from the same area, which neither tolbs17 nor Marf is):

Quote from: kenarmy on June 29, 2021, 08:58:29 AM
The US route is never mentioned while it is concurrent with interstates in MS. My dad insists that there is a "49 North" and a "49 South" that aren't connected  :-D.
- "Highway 6" is used instead of US 278 while concurrent with MS 6.
- "Highway 80" is the most used while it is concurrent with US 11, but both are acceptable.
- There's a few people who still call I-110 "Highway 15". (Side note, google maps still shows MS 15 on the interstate even though it was truncated)
- A lot of people still think US 98 goes to Natchez with US 84. I heard a meteorologist say "... where US 98 and US 84 split" yesterday. A ton of maps also show this, and sometimes 98 is the primary route west of Bude.

formulanone

1000 mediocre opera singers before a Britney Spears.

Also, when I grow up, I'm going to re-design an airport with all of the worst qualities combined and shape the terminal like an extended middle finger from a fist.

Start with a good airport that just looked like it was 35 years old and expand it, make the distances between terminals longer and include only one escalator in each direction. Make sure people have far less room to sit than than the capacity of the aircraft, and include a lots of overpriced stores (like luggage shops!) that take up space. Make sure the moving walkways are clogged by a single 300-pound passenger and include a minimum of places to line up so that it further blocks passengers walking from one gate to another.

Wait, I'm an adult and all the airports are starting to be this crummy. 

renegade

Wait a minute ...

Quote from: 1 on August 06, 2021, 03:28:10 PM
I don't know how race became a forbidden subject entirely. I wasn't implying any racism in this thread; I was giving an example of something a sockpuppet couldn't replicate.

For another example of one of his posts a sockpuppet couldn't replicate (unless they're from the same area, which neither tolbs17 nor Marf is):

Quote from: kenarmy on June 29, 2021, 08:58:29 AM
The US route is never mentioned while it is concurrent with interstates in MS. My dad insists that there is a "49 North" and a "49 South" that aren't connected  :-D.
- "Highway 6" is used instead of US 278 while concurrent with MS 6.
- "Highway 80" is the most used while it is concurrent with US 11, but both are acceptable.
- There's a few people who still call I-110 "Highway 15". (Side note, google maps still shows MS 15 on the interstate even though it was truncated)
- A lot of people still think US 98 goes to Natchez with US 84. I heard a meteorologist say "... where US 98 and US 84 split" yesterday. A ton of maps also show this, and sometimes 98 is the primary route west of Bude.

Not talking at all about any of your quoted posts.  I referenced the Britney statement shown below.  You added kenarmy's backstory where it was not relevant: 

I bolded a couple important parts here.

Didn't know that.  Didn't need to for the purpose of this discussion.  Please do not attempt to put words into my mouth that I did not use.  kenarmy posts lots of "(x artist) is better than your favorite singer" and "if you would just listen to (y artist)'s (z song), it would become your favorite."  That's not how musical taste works for me.  If someone tells me that, experience tells me that artist/genre sucks hard.  Your mileage may vary.  Thanks for your input.  I'll be much more careful where I'll weigh in going forward.

:wave:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.