News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What major-league baseball teams can you watch in states that don't have them?

Started by KCRoadFan, April 22, 2021, 07:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballfan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 23, 2021, 10:37:23 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 23, 2021, 10:27:39 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 23, 2021, 10:23:01 PM
I don't see where Vermont would have any ties to the Blue Jays. It's a New England state I would think the Red Sox dominate it.
Maybe the Expos had a following when they were still around.

Canadian fandom tends to end at the border.  Blue Jays games are not available in any part of the US (unless Rogers SportsNet is on any cable system in Western NY)  However, there is a strong contingent of Sox fans in the Maritimes from when TV-38 showed games (its available on most cable systems).  Only Expos contingent may have been in the Champlain Valley, but they certainly didn't become Nats fans after they moved.
With the Blue Jays playing in Buffalo last year and (likely) the remainder of this season, there might be a small but growing contingent of Jays fans in Western New York. Speaking of Canada, southwestern Ontario is Tigers country.

Some teams' territories may have to do with historical cable carriage of superstations in the 70s and 80s. For example, WPIX (the Yankees' flagship) was the only NYC-based station carried on cable in the Champlain Valley.

Flint1979

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 24, 2021, 01:53:53 PM
Nevada will probably fall off your list eventually. I think the A's grow tired of the "ought to be condemned"  Oakland Coliseum and yet another Oakland franchise is poached by Las Vegas.
I hate that stadium.

CoreySamson

This thread made me wonder about something: Is there a part of Texas that is not part of a Texan team's media market in any pro sport? (ditto for other states)
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Flint1979

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 24, 2021, 07:46:48 PM
This thread made me wonder about something: Is there a part of Texas that is not part of a Texan team's media market in any pro sport? (ditto for other states)
I would assume Fox Sports Southwest well now Bally Sports Southwest, I haven't caught on with their name change but anyway I would assume that channel covers most of Texas if it doesn't it's probably in the rural western part of the state that it doesn't.

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 24, 2021, 07:54:56 PM
I would assume Fox Sports Southwest well now Bally Sports Southwest, I haven't caught on with their name change but anyway I would assume that channel covers most of Texas if it doesn't it's probably in the rural western part of the state that it doesn't.
In Michigan, the Lions' market doesn't include the western Upper Peninsula (however, the other Detroit teams' markets do include the entire UP and some border areas of Wisconsin; Menominee/Marinette gets both Bally Detroit and Bally Wisconsin on cable while Ironwood/Hurley gets only Bally Detroit AFAIK).

Speaking of Texas, El Paso does get Bally Southwest, as well as (oddly) Spectrum Sportsnet, which carries the Lakers, on cable.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on April 24, 2021, 09:31:52 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 24, 2021, 07:54:56 PM
In Michigan, the Lions' market doesn't include the western Upper Peninsula (however, the other Detroit teams' markets do include the entire UP and some border areas of Wisconsin; Menominee/Marinette gets both Bally Detroit and Bally Wisconsin on cable while Ironwood/Hurley gets only Bally Detroit AFAIK).

Speaking of Texas, El Paso does get Bally Southwest, as well as (oddly) Spectrum Sportsnet, which carries the Lakers, on cable.
That's probably because if I recall it's Packers territory in the western U.P.

The Lions do have the luxury of having WJR for a flagship radio station though.

thspfc

Pretty sure we get the Cubs and Twins in Wisconsin, in addition to the Brewers.

thspfc

That's probably because if I recall it's Packers territory in the western U.P. .
There are Packers flags on every other house in Ironwood.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on April 25, 2021, 03:24:34 PM
Pretty sure we get the Cubs and Twins in Wisconsin, in addition to the Brewers.

The Twins share the Wisconsin part of the Twin Cities media market with Milwaukee, but (a thing created much frustration for me in college) the Twins do not have any claim to Superior and as such the Twins are not available there.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kevinb1994

Henry

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 24, 2021, 07:39:15 PM
Nevada will probably fall off your list eventually. I think the A's grow tired of the "ought to be condemned"  Oakland Coliseum and yet another Oakland franchise is poached by Las Vegas.
I hate that stadium.
Hang on, there is a proposal to build a new ballpark in Oakland, so the A's may not yet follow the Raiders out of town yet. We will see in 2024, though...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

Some of the territorial boundaries in the northeast do need to be re-drawn.  Here is what they should look like:

Red Sox: All of New England including Fairfield County, the Albany DMA, the Plattsburgh side of the Burlington DMA, Suffolk County LI

Yankees/Mets: All of NY state, all of CT, Berkshire County, MA, all of VT except Windham County, NJ except Camden, Gloucester, Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May Counties, PA northeast of a line that follows I-81, I-80, I-476, and I-78.

Phillies: Eastern PA (Philly, Scranton, Harrisburg, and the couple counties in the Washington DMA), NJ except Morris, Passaic, Bergen, Essex, Hudson, and Union Counties, all of DE, Cecil County, MD

O's/Nats: All of MD, DC, all of DE, Harrisburg and DC DMA counties in PA, all of VA, eastern WV.

The Pirates territory in PA needs to be trimmed a bit.  It shouldn't include anything east of the Susquehanna River up to SWB and I-81 north of there.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

OCGuy81

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 24, 2021, 07:39:15 PM
I hate that stadium.

The Coliseum is easily the worst of the NFL stadiums currently being used. Easy argument for any city wanting to poach the A's.

Big John

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 28, 2021, 07:39:59 PM

The Coliseum is easily the worst of the NFL stadiums currently being used. Easy argument for any city wanting to poach the A's.
Do you mean MLB stadiums as the Raiders left?

Flint1979

The White Sox have fans all over the country. I've bumped into several fellow Sox fans on my many road trips and we do exist. They are one of the charter American League teams and have an established following no matter who wants to believe it.

ftballfan

IMHO, here is how the MLB territories should be (by DMA; map of DMAs and radio markets can be found at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Arbitron/Market-Maps/Nielsen-Market-Map-Fall%202020.pdf):
Arizona: Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma/El Centro
Atlanta: Albany (GA), Atlanta, Augusta, Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston (SC), Charlotte, Chattanooga, Columbia (SC), Columbus (GA), Columbus/Tupelo/West Point, Dothan, Florence/Myrtle Beach, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, Greenville/New Bern/Jacksonville, Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Greenwood/Greenville, Gulfport/Biloxi, Hattiesburg/Laurel, Huntsville/Decatur, Jackson (MS), Jackson (TN), Jacksonville, Knoxville, Macon, Memphis, Meridian, Mobile/Pensacola/Fort Walton Beach, Montgomery, Nashville, Panama City, Raleigh/Durham, Savannah, Tallahassee, Wilmington
Baltimore and Washington: Baltimore, Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Harrisonburg, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Richmond, Roanoke/Lynchburg, Washington DC
Boston: Albany/Schenectady, Bangor, Boston, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Hartford/New Haven, Portland (ME), Presque Isle, Providence/New Bedford, Springfield (MA)
Chicago (both): Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Chicago, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Lafayette (IN), Ottumwa/Kirksville, Peoria/Bloomington, Quad Cities, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, Rockford, South Bend/Elkhart, Terre Haute
Cincinnati: Bluefield/Beckley/Oak Hill, Bowling Green, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston/Huntington, Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Evansville, Indianapolis, Knoxville, Lexington, Lima, Louisville, Nashville, Parkersburg/Marietta, Zanesville
Cleveland: Cleveland, Columbus (OH), Erie, Lima, Toledo, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown, Zanesville
Colorado: Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Billings, Butte/Bozeman, Casper/Riverton, Cheyenne/Scottsbluff, Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Denver, Grand Junction, Great Falls, Helena, Rapid City, Salt Lake City
Detroit: Alpena, Detroit, Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Lansing, Marquette, South Bend/Elkhart, Toledo, Traverse City/Cadillac
Houston: Alexandria (LA), Austin, Baton Rouge, Beaumont/Port Arthur, Corpus Christi, Houston, Lafayette (LA), Lake Charles, Laredo, McAllen/Brownsville/Harlingen, New Orleans, San Antonio, Victoria, Waco/Temple/Bryan
Kansas City: Columbia (MO), Des Moines, Joplin/Pittsburg, Kansas City, Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney, North Platte, Omaha, Ottumwa/Kirksville, St. Joseph, Sioux City, Springfield (MO), Topeka, Wichita/Hutchinson
Los Angeles (both): Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo
Miami: Fort Myers/Naples, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach/Fort Pierce
Milwaukee: Eau Claire/La Crosse, Green Bay/Appleton, Madison, Milwaukee, Wausau/Rhinelander
Minnesota: Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickinson, Des Moines, Duluth/Superior, Fargo/Grand Forks, Glendive, Mankato, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester/Austin/Mason City, Sioux City, Sioux Falls
New York (both): Albany/Schenectady, Binghamton, Buffalo, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Elmira/Corning, Hartford/New Haven, New York City, Rochester (NY), Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Syracuse, Utica/Rome, Watertown
Philadelphia: Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Philadelphia, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
Pittsburgh: Clarksburg/Weston, Erie, Johnstown/Altoona/State College, Pittsburgh, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown
San Diego: San Diego, Yuma/El Centro
San Francisco and Oakland: Chico/Redding, Eureka, Fresno, Medford/Klamath Falls, Monterey/Salinas, Reno, Sacramento/Stockton, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Seattle: Bend, Boise, Eugene, Idaho Falls/Pocatello, Missoula/Kalispell, Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma, Spokane, Twin Falls, Yakima/Tri-Cities
St. Louis: Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Columbia (MO), Evansville, Jackson (TN), Jonesboro, Memphis, Ottumwa/Kirksville, Paducah/Cape Girardeau, Peoria/Bloomington, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, St. Louis, Springfield (MO), Terre Haute
Tampa Bay: Fort Myers/Naples, Gainesville/Ocala, Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne, Tampa/St. Petersburg
Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, El Paso/Las Cruces, Fort Smith/Fayetteville, Little Rock, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Monroe/El Dorado, Oklahoma City, San Angelo, San Antonio, Sherman/Ada, Shreveport/Texarkana, Tulsa, Tyler/Longview, Waco/Temple/Bryan, Wichita Falls/Lawton

The Blue Jays would have all of Canada, as well as the Buffalo and Rochester (NY) DMAs. The Jays would share southwestern Ontario and Algoma District (Soo Ontario) with the Tigers.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ftballfan on April 28, 2021, 10:23:39 PM
IMHO, here is how the MLB territories should be (by DMA; map of DMAs and radio markets can be found at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Arbitron/Market-Maps/Nielsen-Market-Map-Fall%202020.pdf):
Atlanta: Albany (GA), Atlanta, Augusta, Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston (SC), Charlotte, Chattanooga, Columbia (SC), Columbus (GA), Columbus/Tupelo/West Point, Dothan, Florence/Myrtle Beach, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, Greenville/New Bern/Jacksonville, Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Greenwood/Greenville, Gulfport/Biloxi, Hattiesburg/Laurel, Huntsville/Decatur, Jackson (MS), Jackson (TN), Jacksonville, Knoxville, Macon, Memphis, Meridian, Mobile/Pensacola/Fort Walton Beach, Montgomery, Nashville, Panama City, Raleigh/Durham, Savannah, Tallahassee, Wilmington
Baltimore and Washington: Baltimore, Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Harrisonburg, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Richmond, Roanoke/Lynchburg, Washington DC
Boston: Albany/Schenectady, Bangor, Boston, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Hartford/New Haven, Portland (ME), Presque Isle, Providence/New Bedford, Springfield (MA)
Chicago (both): Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Chicago, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Lafayette (IN), Ottumwa/Kirksville, Peoria/Bloomington, Quad Cities, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, Rockford, South Bend/Elkhart, Terre Haute
Cincinnati: Bluefield/Beckley/Oak Hill, Bowling Green, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston/Huntington, Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Evansville, Indianapolis, Knoxville, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Parkersburg/Marietta, Zanesville
Cleveland: Cleveland, Columbus (OH), Erie, Lima, Toledo, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown, Zanesville
Colorado: Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Billings, Butte/Bozeman, Casper/Riverton, Cheyenne/Scottsbluff, Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Denver, Grand Junction, Great Falls, Helena, Rapid City, Salt Lake City
Detroit: Alpena, Detroit, Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Lansing, Marquette, South Bend/Elkhart, Toledo, Traverse City/Cadillac
Houston: Alexandria (LA), Austin, Baton Rouge, Beaumont/Port Arthur, Corpus Christi, Houston, Lafayette (LA), Lake Charles, Laredo, McAllen/Brownsville/Harlingen, New Orleans, San Antonio, Victoria, Waco/Temple/Bryan
Kansas City: Columbia (MO), Des Moines, Joplin/Pittsburg, Kansas City, Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney, North Platte, Omaha, Ottumwa/Kirksville, St. Joseph, Sioux City, Springfield (MO), Topeka, Wichita/Hutchinson
Los Angeles (both): Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo
Milwaukee: Eau Claire/La Crosse, Green Bay/Appleton, Madison, Milwaukee, Wausau/Rhinelander
Minnesota: Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickinson, Des Moines, Duluth/Superior, Fargo/Grand Forks, Glendive, Mankato, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester/Austin/Mason City, Sioux City, Sioux Falls
New York (both): Albany/Schenectady, Binghamton, Buffalo, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Elmira/Corning, Hartford/New Haven, New York City, Rochester (NY), Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Syracuse, Utica/Rome, Watertown
Pittsburgh: Clarksburg/Weston, Erie, Johnstown/Altoona/State College, Pittsburgh, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown
San Francisco and Oakland: Chico/Redding, Eureka, Fresno, Medford/Klamath Falls, Monterey/Salinas, Reno, Sacramento/Stockton, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Seattle: Bend, Boise, Eugene, Idaho Falls/Pocatello, Missoula/Kalispell, Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma, Spokane, Twin Falls, Yakima/Tri-Cities
St. Louis: Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Columbia (MO), Evansville, Jackson (TN), Jonesboro, Memphis, Ottumwa/Kirksville, Paducah/Cape Girardeau, Peoria/Bloomington, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, St. Louis, Springfield (MO), Terre Haute
Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, El Paso/Las Cruces, Fort Smith/Fayetteville, Little Rock, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Monroe/El Dorado, Oklahoma City, San Angelo, San Antonio, Sherman/Ada, Shreveport/Texarkana, Tulsa, Tyler/Longview, Waco/Temple/Bryan, Wichita Falls/Lawton

The Blue Jays would have all of Canada, as well as the Buffalo and Rochester (NY) DMAs. The Jays would share southwestern Ontario and Algoma District (Soo Ontario) with the Tigers.
Could Vancouver be shared with Seattle?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ftballfan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 28, 2021, 10:25:45 PM
Cincinnati: Bluefield/Beckley/Oak Hill, Bowling Green, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston/Huntington, Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Evansville, Indianapolis, Knoxville, Lexington, Louisville, Nashville, Parkersburg/Marietta, Zanesville

That is a possibility. Also, Alaska and Hawaii wouldn't be in any MLB team's territory

OCGuy81

Quote from: Big John on April 28, 2021, 07:45:18 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 28, 2021, 07:39:59 PM

Do you mean MLB stadiums as the Raiders left?

Yes. LOL!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ftballfan on April 28, 2021, 10:28:14 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 28, 2021, 10:25:45 PM

That is a possibility. Also, Alaska and Hawaii wouldn't be in any MLB team's territory
Alaska could be Mariners and Hawaii could be Giants or Dodgers.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

The Nature Boy

Cincinnati: Bluefield/Beckley/Oak Hill, Bowling Green, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston/Huntington, Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Evansville, Indianapolis, Knoxville, Lexington, Lima, Louisville, Nashville, Parkersburg/Marietta, Zanesville
Tampa Bay: Fort Myers/Naples, Gainesville/Ocala, Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne, Tampa/St. Petersburg

I realize that the Nats have made little inroads down there but I'm not sure I agree with assigning Raleigh-Durham to Atlanta. That's too far north for my taste and seems to artificially limit the Nats's ability to expand south. DC is substantially closer than Atlanta.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 28, 2021, 11:01:17 PM

I realize that the Nats have made little inroads down there but I'm not sure I agree with assigning Raleigh-Durham to Atlanta. That's too far north for my taste and seems to artificially limit the Nats's ability to expand south. DC is substantially closer than Atlanta.
The Braves have a much larger fanbase in the South due to being around for longer.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 28, 2021, 11:07:47 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 28, 2021, 11:01:17 PM

The Braves have a much larger fanbase in the South due to being around for longer.
The Braves have a large following due to being on the TBS Superstation for years and they were good for many years too.

I-55

Fort Wayne, IN has no dominant team in any pro sport other than football (Colts, which never gets blacked out up here). You could argue that the Cubs and Pacers are frontrunners, but no one team sticks out too much, as we're right in between several major sports markets. We have a good following for the Chicago, Detroit, Cincy, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh markets. I personally consider Northeast Indiana to be the Switzerland of American Pro sports.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.