National Boards > Bridges

What bridge closure would cause the most chaos/disruption?

<< < (3/24) > >>

dlsterner:
At least for the MD/DC/VA area, I would think that the Woodrow Wilson Bridge would be at or near the top of the list.  (For the non-locals, the I-95/495 bridge across the Potomac).

sprjus4:
Any of the three Hampton Roads crossings, though more notably the interstate ones.

US-17 JRB, I-664 MMMBT, I-64 HRBT

MCRoads:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on May 15, 2021, 12:27:00 AM ---Any of the three Hampton Roads crossings, though more notably the interstate ones.

--- End quote ---

All 3 were closed simultaneously in 2009, evidently that was a shitstorm of epic proportions.

If anyone has seen the newest 24 series, the GWB was the subject of a truck bombing. Honestly, I think that is a very scary thing that, if it happened, would have effects on a regional, or possibly national, scale. I believe that they have truck inspections entering the bridge to avoid this, but I can think of many busy/important bridges that donít. Itís scary to think that someone with bad intentions could cripple an entire regionís transportation network.

Roadgeekteen:

--- Quote from: MCRoads on May 15, 2021, 12:50:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: sprjus4 on May 15, 2021, 12:27:00 AM ---Any of the three Hampton Roads crossings, though more notably the interstate ones.

--- End quote ---

All 3 were closed simultaneously in 2009, evidently that was a shitstorm of epic proportions.

If anyone has seen the newest 24 series, the GWB was the subject of a truck bombing. Honestly, I think that is a very scary thing that, if it happened, would have effects on a regional, or possibly national, scale. I believe that they have truck inspections entering the bridge to avoid this, but I can think of many busy/important bridges that donít. Itís scary to think that someone with bad intentions could cripple an entire regionís transportation network.

--- End quote ---
I would imagine that I-287 would get crazy if the GWB was closed, same with the two tunnels.

michravera:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 14, 2021, 10:48:42 PM ---Any of the Bay Area Bridges would be a disaster.

--- End quote ---

We had the Bay bridge closed for several weeks after the Loma Prieta earthquake. It wasn't fun, but, since the BART tube came through it OK, life wasn't impossible. We also have CASR-92, I-580, CASR-84, -237, and -37 to get you around or over The Bay. We have I-280, -580, -880, and -980 as alternates for each other.  We have quite a bit of built in redundancy such that, once the immediate problem is resolved (people get off of the Bridge that had the initial problem), long term people can work around most closures. For example, CASR-99, I-5, and US-101 (and to a certain extent US-395 and CASR-65 where built can, if you know about a problem far enough in advance, be used in place of each other. Same goes for US-50 and I-80. Same goes for CASR-41, -46, and -58. Also, CASR-25, -152, and -156. Now, I won't say that we have a lot of excess capacity to deal with any single failure, but people would be able to get where they want to go.

My hunch is that there is a bridge over some gully along either I-8, -10, or -15 around which it might not be possible easily to work. Once again, as long as it were only one gully on one of these roads, before long people would figure a way around it (possibly using one of the others mentioned), but, off hand, it looks like there would be serious diversions for those who are unprepared.

If you want to cause the most inconvenience to the most people for the longest period of time, find a heavily populated island group with water that is too shallow to take ocean-going vessels. So, my guess is that you might find such a bridge in the Florida Keys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version