News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cooper Tires recalled due to incorrect date code

Started by snowc, September 08, 2021, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

Cooper Tires just announced a MAJOR recall of tires
QuoteCooper Tire & Rubber Co. (Cooper Tire) is recalling certain Evolution H/T 245/70R16 tires. The Tire Identification Number (TIN) states the incorrect manufacture date of the tire. The correct code is 2317, and the subject tires are incorrectly marked with 1723. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 139, "New Pneumatic Radial Tires For Light Vehicles" and number 574, "Tire Identification & Recordkeeping."
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21T014&linkId=100000066235431
Looks like somebody messed up on the date codes!  :pan: :colorful:

snowc

@Alps @Scott5114 @SSOWorld do you guys think this should be moved to the Gen Highway Talk?
Still learning how to make posts.  :confused:

Max Rockatansky

Ha, I would be taking advantage of that screwup if I had those tires and wanted some new ones for free.  The date code being wrong though is such a minor thing that it's kind of silly to call it a "true"  potential safety issue. 

Takumi

They’re just trying to cover up the fact that the tires actually were made in 2023 and they just don’t want us to know that time travel is real.

I just wonder how it took four years to discover this.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 08, 2021, 12:15:47 PM
Ha, I would be taking advantage of that screwup if I had those tires and wanted some new ones for free.  The date code being wrong though is such a minor thing that it's kind of silly to call it a "true"  potential safety issue. 
Well, most tires made in 2017 have probably been on vehicles on the road for at least a couple years now. The tire shop I worked in (and probably most) had a rule that tires have a shelf life of five years before they can no longer be sold.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on September 08, 2021, 12:21:29 PM
Well, most tires made in 2017 have probably been on vehicles on the road for at least a couple years now. The tire shop I worked in (and probably most) had a rule that tires have a shelf life of five years before they can no longer be sold.

Yes, same for the shop I worked in also.  I'm just assuming overwhelmingly the majority of those tires are already past the tread west life span anyways. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 08, 2021, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: Takumi on September 08, 2021, 12:21:29 PM

Yes, same for the shop I worked in also.  I'm just assuming overwhelmingly the majority of those tires are already past the tread west life span anyways. 

Unless they have it as a spare.

I think the recommendation is 6 years of tire life, if mounted; and as Takumi said, 5 years if on a shelf. So in most cases, nobody is losing more than 20% of the tread/tire life, unless they unfortunately recently purchased a set of dusty tires. If a shady or unaware tire shop came into a set of tires and "sat on them" for a few years, they could claim they're new, and that's where there's big trouble.

Someone swapped out the dies that stamped the date code and it's funny how this never was noticed until recently. Now if they made a bunch with "1952" (whereby 5219 = last week of December in 2019), then it might be a little more noticable right away.

Scott5114

Quote from: snowc on September 08, 2021, 12:12:07 PM
@Alps @Scott5114 @SSOWorld do you guys think this should be moved to the Gen Highway Talk?

Things dealing with cars and not roads generally go in either Off-Topic or Travel. In this case, since it's about car maintenance and not use of the car for traveling, Off-Topic is more appropriate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

snowc

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 08, 2021, 07:26:26 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 08, 2021, 12:12:07 PM

Things dealing with cars and not roads generally go in either Off-Topic or Travel. In this case, since it's about car maintenance and not use of the car for traveling, Off-Topic is more appropriate.
Ok, thanks for the clearup!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.