News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Random News on line needs checking by us

Started by roadman65, October 12, 2021, 03:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Recently a random news feed had a death of a Hollywood star who died over three years ago as recent news.   Yet no one until I shared here pointed out the truth.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KeithE4Phx

"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

roadman65

What the hell is this world coming too. I got it on random news event in social media.

Another reason why I don't trust the news.  Here posting old news.  I had no freaking clue the man was dead, and people on social media posting the old news.

If it were the Goog I would check dates, but this on social media thrown in.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

The damn thing won't let me remove either.
  I updated to new title and article instead. Hopefully it won't turn into the ongoing great political debate being the words fact check are used.

Sheryl Crowe

kalvado

Once you grow up, you may realize that official information is not bulletproof as well...

roadman65

Quote from: kalvado on October 13, 2021, 12:59:42 PM
Once you grow up, you may realize that official information is not bulletproof as well...

So I noticed.  That is why the net can be deadly too.

Sheryl Crowe

kalvado

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2021, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: kalvado on October 13, 2021, 12:59:42 PM

So I noticed.  That is why the net can be deadly too.
It is not about net. It is about people - even elected or appointed officials, who are still humans after all - being lost, having incomplete information, or plainly lying (or, worse, partially withholding information) to match their agenda. 

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2021, 12:47:49 PM
What the hell is this world coming too. I got it on random news event in social media.

Another reason why I don't trust the news.

You're blaming "the media", when you received the info from your social media network. Either the information came from another human in your network who just found that information out, or some algorithm spit it out based on...well, whatever it felt like churning out due to whatever it saw as a preference in your social media feed.

It's okay to take some "responsibility" on this one, not everyone remembers everything about everything, but I see no reason to flip out over it. It's not someone else's fault that you just learned about another actor's passing which happened three years ago. You were probably busy or took a day off from hearing about everything happening that day and lived your own life.

hbelkins

Had an interesting road-related thing happen to me along these lines last week.

Perusing last week's community newspapers in our area, I saw a press release I had sent out a year ago concerning a railroad crossing closure for repair/replacement work. Why the newspaper ran the release a full year later is beyond me. I certainly didn't do anything to trigger sending out another copy 12 months later. I even had a request from the newspaper where the closing happened to send them the release, since they had seen it in the adjoining county's paper and they hadn't gotten a copy. I explained to them that it was an old release from last year that had, for some reason, been printed by mistake.

In that same newspaper, they ran an outdated press release about a road closure that had been changed twice since the first copy went out. We had a closure scheduled for a certain day, but it got postponed, so i sent a release about the postponement. Then, when the new date was set, I sent that release out too. The paper had ample time to get the latest release but ran the first one with the old date.

On social media, i will occasionally see something reposted about an event that happened in a prior year. It's probably someone's Facebook memory being posted and shared.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.