News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interchange U-Turns that are Intentional/By Design (NOT Texas U-Turns)

Started by webny99, December 06, 2023, 08:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

This may be the inverse of what is being asked (or not really applicable at all), but WB I-376 (Parkway East) exit 78B is a ramp going directly only to PA-8 NB, with no direct ramp to US-30 East (Both utilize Ardmore Blvd in the area - US-30 joins the Parkway here, and it is the southern terminus of PA-8).
The first light encountered upon merging into PA-8/Ardmore has a little green sign indicating to make a U-turn to go the other way to Forest Hills (though the LGS doesn't mention US-30 east).

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DA4PF2n5gpA6iVyd8
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PurdueBill

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2023, 09:56:24 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2023, 02:05:24 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 06, 2023, 01:54:32 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2023, 01:02:48 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 06, 2023, 09:06:12 AM
US 1 in Peabody with an inexplicable traffic light. (This one is a Jersey freeway.)

What location specifically are you referring to here?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5290989,-70.9933762,18.33z?entry=ttu

Interestingly, US 1 NB also has its own ramps to I-95/128. Does this exist solely for the group of businesses north of the ramps?

Nevermind, I see now that it also serves Dearborn Rd, which connects to several other local roads. With that in mind, removing the jughandle isn't really an option. Although I agree the traffic light is inexplicable, I'm not sure what could reasonably replace it aside from an overpass that loops over US 1 or a partial interchange at Forest St/Winona St.

The Jughandle also gets reasonably heavy use from people going northbound to access Lake Street (next street southbound after the exit to 128) which serves  West Peabody and Lynnfield without having to go up to Lowell Street.  Lake Street was once part of Route 120, which has been gone for decades.

The Jughandle on Route 1 is well-known enough that traffic reports refer to it as just that--"the Jughandle".  I can hear Rich Kirkland right now on WBZ saying that Route 1 is backed up to the Lynnfield Tunnel from the Jughandle.  Everyone knew what he was talking about.  :P

ErmineNotyours

There's no left turn available from northbound Montlake Boulevard to westbound 520, so a sign clarifies that a U-turn on red is permitted.

After south US 101 merges onto east Washington 8 and the Washington 8 designation ends, there's a sign for an exit to allow access to each other route by U-turn.  https://maps.app.goo.gl/PC2uWc8viWhV1LFv8

webny99

Thanks everyone for the replies - there's been some good ones coming in.
Two trends I'm noticing are a lot of unsignalized/median U-turns, and a lot of LGS's as opposed to route shields.

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 11, 2023, 10:34:46 AM
A couple Pennsylvania examples that I think fit:

Yup - PA is great for pretty much any thread about road-related quirks/oddities/unusual configurations, and this is no exception!

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 11, 2023, 10:34:46 AM
- U-turn ramps are used for some movements at the PA 51/PA 837 interchange at West Elizabeth, PA: https://maps.app.goo.gl/qyVjFUA36nJu8eCs6

This is a really cool interchange design. Simple, compact, and clean.

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 11, 2023, 05:02:24 PM
This may be the inverse of what is being asked (or not really applicable at all), but WB I-376 (Parkway East) exit 78B is a ramp going directly only to PA-8 NB, with no direct ramp to US-30 East (Both utilize Ardmore Blvd in the area - US-30 joins the Parkway here, and it is the southern terminus of PA-8).
The first light encountered upon merging into PA-8/Ardmore has a little green sign indicating to make a U-turn to go the other way to Forest Hills (though the LGS doesn't mention US-30 east).

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DA4PF2n5gpA6iVyd8

It is odd that Forest Hills is signed but US 30 isn't, but this is otherwise a good one. Was about to comment that this U-turn could also be used to make the US 30 WB to I-376 EB movement before realizing there's already a ramp to make that movement (albeit an odd one!)

webny99

Quote from: PurdueBill on December 11, 2023, 06:37:26 PM
The Jughandle on Route 1 is well-known enough that traffic reports refer to it as just that--"the Jughandle".  I can hear Rich Kirkland right now on WBZ saying that Route 1 is backed up to the Lynnfield Tunnel from the Jughandle.  Everyone knew what he was talking about.  :P

Interesting that it's understood when referring to it that way, as that would definitely not work in NJ! :D
I guess I just figured jughandles were a bit more common than that in the Boston area/New England in general.

webny99

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 11, 2023, 07:04:37 PM
There's no left turn available from northbound Montlake Boulevard to westbound 520, so a sign clarifies that a U-turn on red is permitted.

After south US 101 merges onto east Washington 8 and the Washington 8 designation ends, there's a sign for an exit to allow access to each other route by U-turn.  https://maps.app.goo.gl/DSs3TWu1QHJpEY2W9

Wow. There's a lot going on here. The side road on the left is one-way, and the side road on the right has a "Local Access Only" sign heading away from the intersection and two "Do Not Enter" signs facing towards the intersection. And then it looks like left or U-turn on red is just randomly permitted here?? I have never seen that before. And if there's no traffic exiting either roadway, why would a red phase even exist on the main road?

My head is spinning just trying to figure out what the signal phasing is like at this intersection. Maybe as follows?

(1) green on the main road w/red left turn arrows
(2) green left turn arrows w/red on the main road

Also, you've got the same link twice so we're only seeing the U-turn on red sign.

fwydriver405

The closest example I can think off is near the Kelley Square area in Worcester. All traffic coming from I-290 South to Exit 17 must turn right at the interchange. To get to MA Route 122A South from I-290 South, one must turn right onto 122A North, then make a U Turn at the "peanut" roundabout to end up on 122A South.

--

New Hampshire used to have one near the Newington/Dover area before the widening of the Spaulding Turnpike, which was completed in 2020. Before the project, all traffic coming from Dover Point Road or US 4 East (Exit 6 area) had to enter the Spaulding Turnpike / NH 16 south. (Those on SB Dover Point Rd can access US 4 WB directly by going straight). Those who wanted to go northbound on the Spaulding Turnpike / NH 16 (or also access NB Dover Point Rd from US 4 East) had to reverse direction near the Exit 4 area, signed as such.

Before around 2006 or 07 ish, there used to be a LEFT Exit 4N, which was a freeway median U turn to allow those drivers to reverse direction northbound. You would cross the Little Bay Bridge south, keep left, then median U turn onto the northbound lanes. (1, 2, 3. Read more on AARoads here below the "4 East 16 South" header.)

That U turn ramp was closed around that time, as Shattuck Way (OLD RIGHT exit 4S, NEW RIGHT exit 4) was extended under Route 16. From 2006-07ish to 2020, you would use RIGHT exit 4 to Shattuck Way, go under 16, and re-enter the freeway going north.

The Exit 6 area has since been converted into a full diamond interchange, which eliminates having to do this roundabout manouvre, as there is now a direct route to 16 North or Dover Point Road North.

--

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 06, 2023, 09:13:45 PM
Exit 9B on I-295 North is specifically for I-295 South.  The U-Turn is a result of utilizing a partially built interchange for the cancelled I-84 from Hartford to Providence.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/W6azLGc31Fp8cLXQA

Add to the RI list, the US 1 and RI 138 interchange in North Kingstown. It's a full cloverleaf, but the western half of the road is not constructed at all (I believe it was a cancelled highway, but not certain on what it was). You can make a U-turn from the "leaves" if you want to:

- Go to US 1 South, if you already are on US 1 North.
- Go to US 1 North, if you already are on US 1 South. You exit US 1 South like you are continuing east onto RI 138, but then exit again to return to US 1 North.

ElishaGOtis

This interesting converted SPUI near Jacksonville, FL - US-90 @ SR-115

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2871076,-81.5590235,17.6z?entry=ttu

EDIT: Project info here https://nflroads.com/ProjectDetails?p=5260
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 11, 2023, 07:04:37 PM

Very interesting - not only is the sightline not the greatest, a big-ass sign informing the permission to turn on red further blocks the sightline!

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 12, 2023, 12:35:57 PM
Freeway/freeway example - I-81 south to I-88 east

Is this new? I recall I-88 being signed for Exit 6, which never made much sense as it required four turns including three left turns get to I-88 EB. Turning around via Exit 5 makes much more sense, although it doesn't seem to be signed consistently at the new roundabouts.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on December 12, 2023, 01:06:16 PM

Is this new? I recall I-88 being signed for Exit 6, which never made much sense as it required four turns including three left turns get to I-88 EB. Turning around via Exit 5 makes much more sense, although it doesn't seem to be signed consistently at the new roundabouts.
IIRC it's signed at both.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 12, 2023, 08:41:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 12, 2023, 01:06:16 PM

IIRC it's signed at both.

Interestingly, Google suggests it's about 2-3 minutes faster to take NY 12/12A. I view it as more of a toss-up, especially with how congested Hinmans Corners can be and with Exit 5 no longer having signals.

johndoe

GaryA

It's in Texas, but not a normal "Texas U-Turn" -- traffic on I-20 that wants to go EB on I-10 must merge into the I-10 WB mainline and take a left exit that U-turns onto I-10 EB before the I-20 split.  (Traffic from I-10 WB to I-20 could also follow this path, but they do have a direct ramp.)  https://maps.app.goo.gl/w7waAcSzSYJb2YJt6

webny99

Quote from: GaryA on December 17, 2023, 11:34:18 PM
It's in Texas, but not a normal "Texas U-Turn" -- traffic on I-20 that wants to go EB on I-10 must merge into the I-10 WB mainline and take a left exit that U-turns onto I-10 EB before the I-20 split.  (Traffic from I-10 WB to I-20 could also follow this path, but they do have a direct ramp.)  https://maps.app.goo.gl/w7waAcSzSYJb2YJt6

What's interesting here is that they installed a separate ramp for I-10 WB to I-20 EB when that movement could also be made from the U-turn ramp, much like the I-287/NJ 17 example mentioned early in the thread.

ErmineNotyours

I went on a long-delayed trip to San Francisco a few months ago, and thought I had missed all the California button copy signs, until I saw the first ones halfway down I-505.  I really got a chance to see them walking from Fisherman's Warf to Larkspur, and saw this one on the freeway entrance returning from the viewing area north of the Golden Gate Bridge.  They must have figured most of the people taking the viewing area would want to drive back to town so the biggest sign at the northbound 101 entrance was instructions on how to do that.

Also, the sign is missing on the most recent Street View, but by some miracle it was restored when I visited it.  Here's the next most recent Street View: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sEyuj9hqynxsHtEf6

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on December 18, 2023, 09:48:05 PM

What's interesting here is that they installed a separate ramp for I-10 EB to I-20 EB when that movement could also be made from the U-turn ramp, much like the I-287/NJ 17 example mentioned early in the thread.

I-10 WB ?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 19, 2023, 10:03:53 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 18, 2023, 09:48:05 PM

What's interesting here is that they installed a separate ramp for I-10 EB to I-20 EB when that movement could also be made from the U-turn ramp, much like the I-287/NJ 17 example mentioned early in the thread.

I-10 WB ?

Whoops, fixed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.