News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

HOLY SHIT

HOLY SHIT

YES!

Takumi

I knew I shouldn't have gone to sleep after the 10th.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Was I the only one underwhelmed by Game 7? It just didn't have the electricity of the other games to me.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

It was pretty boring, but I can understand the lack of electricity. Game 6 had such a feeling of finality to it that it didn't feel like there should be baseball today. It would have only been electric if the Rangers won, I think.

Takumi

Yeah, I agree. It seems like the Rangers didn't have anything left in the tank after the first inning tonight.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Takumi on October 28, 2011, 11:53:58 PM
Was I the only one underwhelmed by Game 7? It just didn't have the electricity of the other games to me.

it did not have the electricity of game 6.  it was comparable to games 1-5.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

AsphaltPlanet

The last few innings of game 7 were kind of boring.  I am not upset with the outcome (didn't really care either way).  it was like Texas gave up in the late innings.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

PAHighways

The last visiting team to win a Game 7 remains the 79 Pirates.

That is the only way to connect the Pirate organization to anything World Series-related.

Alps

Speaking of base-ball, looks like the Astros are going to the AL after all, so you'll have two 15-team leagues. To balance them out and prevent still more interleague, I propose adding a 16th team to each league. I've received some interesting comments on other potential additions but I'm sticking by these anyway.

AL East: Red Sox, Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays
AL North: Twins, Tigers, White Sox, Indians
AL South: Rays, Astros, Rangers, Flyers - adding a Carolina team to a large, untapped market. Raleigh or Charlotte, doesn't matter.
AL West: Mariners, A's, Angels, Royals (someone has to do it)

NL East: Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Grays - mostly for historical sentiment, I'll admit, but I can't think of a better baseball city anyway.
NL North: Pirates, Reds, Brewers, Cubs
NL South: Braves, Marlins, Cardinals, Diamondbacks
NL West: Rockies, Giants, Dodgers, Padres

corco

You could also contract by two- drop the Rays and A's (perhaps move the A's to Colorado or Phoenix and drop the Rockies/D-Backs, just to preserve the A's name and history) and move Milwaukee back to the AL

Otherwise, I'd love to see expansion to Charlotte/Brooklyn/Montreal (Vive les Expos! Montreal is a good baseball town- bad ownership just ran the franchise into the ground)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/sports/baseball/20montreal.html

Takumi

While I'd like to see two new teams (Carolina and Montreal would be my picks too) I'm also one of the 3 people who don't mind interleague, so I'm fine with the official changes.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

corco

My only worry about the changes is that the end result of season-wide interleague play is the game-wide institution of the DH. I root for an AL club, so I'm not anti-DH, but I do like that both formats exist in the game and would be adamantly opposed to the NL adopting it (unless the AL dis-adopted it).

As a Mariners fan, though, I'm looking forward to having the Astros in our division because at least in the short term we won't be in last place anymore  :sombrero:

PAHighways

When I see the name "Grays" discussed in terms of baseball, I think the Homestead Grays.

DTComposer

The scenario in my head had expansion by two teams and kept everyone in their current league (Houston's upcoming move ruins that a little). And except for a couple of cases created a geographical interleague rival. I would revert the Angels' city name, and I figure eventually they'll approve the A's moving.

AL East: New York, Boston, Baltimore, Toronto
NL East: New York, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh

AL North: Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Minnesota
NL North: Colorado, Cincinnati, Chicago, Milwaukee

AL South: Kansas City, Texas, Tampa Bay, Charlotte
NL South: St Louis, Houston, Miami, Atlanta

AL West: Seattle, San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona
NL West: Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego

NWI_Irish96

Oakland, Miami, and Tampa are having major problems supporting existing teams, so I really don't see MLB expanding anytime soon.  Remember they were close to contracting two teams not too long ago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

corco

Those are also not coincidentally the three worst stadiums in MLB. We'll see how Miami rebounds with the new stadium, but I couldn't imagine paying actual money to see a baseball game at the Trop- the Coliseum isn't much better- both are awful places to watch a baseball game.

Takumi

I agree that a nice park greatly enhances the desire for me to see a game. Living in. (suburban) Richmond, the closest major league teams are the Nationals and Orioles, and the three minor league area teams are the local Flying Squirrels, the Norfolk Tides and Durham Bulls. I'd much rather travel to any of the other teams' games because their stadiums are nicer.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Takumi on November 23, 2011, 09:15:52 PM
I agree that a nice park greatly enhances the desire for me to see a game.

Our top-of-the-line ballpark (PNC Park), along with some fireworks nights, a "bobble-head night", and the occasional after-game concert (usually with some more fireworks), is enough of a draw itself to bring people to Pirates games, despite the fact they've now had 19 losing seasons in a row.

A day at a ballpark that nice offsets the fact that at least one of the teams on the field is gonna be the " 'Succos ".  (Their June-July stretch tease of actually appearing to be a good team this last summer notwithstanding.)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

AsphaltPlanet

I went to PNC park back in September to see the final two games of the season against the Reds.  The Park is beautiful and the atmosphere is really cool.  I found it impressive how dedicated Pittsburgh fans were given the recent history of the team.  I find there isn't the same pride for a team that doesn't have such a winning history in Toronto where I live.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Stephane Dumas

Speaking of baseball, here a funny baseball cartoon made by Tex Avery  We won't do any gags of these kinds today.

Stephane Dumas

I spotted a thread about the possibility then the Oakland A's might be relocated
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=198423

Takumi

There's been talk of moving the A's for years. They tried to move to Fremont a few years ago, but the Giants complained that it was in their territory.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

akotchi

Quote from: Takumi on March 26, 2012, 12:22:43 PM
There's been talk of moving the A's for years. They tried to move to Fremont a few years ago, but the Giants complained that it was in their territory.
As a long-suffering A's fan, this is nothing new to me. . .

Everything in the Bay Area outside Alameda County is Giants territory.  That is why it has been so hard to orchestrate a move to stay in the Bay Area.  Don't recall the history of the territorial agreement, but I think the organization dug their own hole.  As of now, I think they are the only MLB franchise playing in a multi-purpose stadium, and no one wants to play there because of all the foul ground.

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: akotchi on March 26, 2012, 12:51:09 PMAs of now, I think they are the only MLB franchise playing in a multi-purpose stadium, and no one wants to play there because of all the foul ground.

The Rays are still playing in that ugly multipurpose dome.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

AsphaltPlanet

The Blue Jays play in a multipurpose sports facility too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.