News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiaman

In New Mexico,  it is legal  to use the same plate  to pile on annual stickers. Some are from the mid 90's (the balloon style plate) and many are barely legible. The owner is  required to pay for a new plate if the car is ticketed for an illegible plate.  This is not right, the state  should not  allow any plate to extend over ten years, that is the shelf life of the average plate.  We have three general  plates in current use  now   (not counting vanity plates), red on gray, red on yellow and the newest , yellow on turquoise.

OCGuy81

Quote from: sandiaman on May 28, 2015, 06:55:48 PM
In New Mexico,  it is legal  to use the same plate  to pile on annual stickers. Some are from the mid 90's (the balloon style plate) and many are barely legible. The owner is  required to pay for a new plate if the car is ticketed for an illegible plate.  This is not right, the state  should not  allow any plate to extend over ten years, that is the shelf life of the average plate.  We have three general  plates in current use  now   (not counting vanity plates), red on gray, red on yellow and the newest , yellow on turquoise.

Re: plates over 10 years.  Come to California.  I think any plate from the mid 50s through today is technically still valid. :-)

swbrotha100

How many states print the license plate number on the registration sticker? I know both Arizona and Texas do this.

catch22

Quote from: swbrotha100 on May 29, 2015, 06:50:35 PM
How many states print the license plate number on the registration sticker? I know both Arizona and Texas do this.

Michigan does.

Big John

thenetwork

I want to say that Ohio kind of did.  If you got your tags renewed by mail, your renewal sticker would have the plate number -- if you renewed in person at the license bureau, it would be a generic sticker number.

allniter89

Florida does
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

gonealookin

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 29, 2015, 01:03:28 PM
Quote from: sandiaman on May 28, 2015, 06:55:48 PM

Re: plates over 10 years.  Come to California.  I think any plate from the mid 50s through today is technically still valid. :-)

Nevada's Assembly has passed AB 484, which would require that the DMV reissue license plates every 8 years.  Because of the additional fee required at the time of reissuance, this bill requires a 2/3 vote in both the Assembly and Senate to become law.  It squeaked by in the Assembly (actually it didn't get 2/3 on the first vote, but it came up for a second vote and got 2 more Ayes), no idea what might happen in the Senate or on the Governor's desk, but we'll know soon because the legislative session is just about over.

mvak36

Missouri does (at least I'm pretty sure they do. I remember seeing it on a friend's license plate).
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

slorydn1

NC does.

Oh and effective as of this week, NC is doing away with the dual sticker (1 for month, 1 for year) in favor of a single sticker system (month/year on one). I haven't seen any yet but we have been instructed to place them in the upper right hand corner of the tag.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jwolfer

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 30, 2015, 12:29:24 PM

Quote from: SP Cook on April 30, 2015, 07:00:59 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on April 30, 2015, 12:28:08 AM

I think it's funny the same type of person  who does not want county name on tag here in Florida will have bumper stickers, stick families and their kids name and sports all indicated on their car. 

Work made me go to a "personal safety" class a couple of years ago.  Lot of it was common sense, lot of it was BS, but one thing they said that I had not considered was about the stick families.  Don't do it.  You are giving out too much information.  And generally identifying Mom's car (as opposed to Dad's). If not giving away the names of your kids.  And, probably where they will be at a certain time (Ashlee 8 mentioned in the softball logo will probably be waiting for you to pick her up at the softball field).   Also bad is anything that identifies the driver as a single female, such as the "whatever state/college Girl" stickers or school logos in pink.   Also "branch of service Wife".  Probably means husband is not home for long periods that can probably be figured out in most area with a little work. 

Just keep your car, especially female's cars, as generic as possible. 

As to bumper stickers, I maintain that 95% of people with more than 3 bumper stickers are generally nuts.  Either politically or religiously, or both, in one direction or the other.  In any event, first, be courteous and take the election stickers off, win or lose, by December 1.  And why make yourself a target?  Maybe the cop on random tax duty isn't so random?  Maybe he targets people with democrat stickers, or Clemson fans, or Mets fans, or people with Jesus fishes, or people with those "gay" equal sign stickers, or whatever.   Or maybe you have a breakdown in the hood and they don't like your candidate's plan to take away their life of idle.   Just keep it under your hat.

I agree–one needn't carry oneself as if continually compelled to inject one's political bent into everything.
There will still be the "creative" people who put the sticker wherever they want
Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 30, 2015, 12:09:48 PM
I have a Boston Red Sox sticker on my car. I just hope I never run afoul of any angry Yankees fans.

Quote from: allniter89 on May 29, 2015, 09:38:50 PM
Florida does

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 02, 2015, 01:39:52 PM

NC does.

Oh and effective as of this week, NC is doing away with the dual sticker (1 for month, 1 for year) in favor of a single sticker system (month/year on one). I haven't seen any yet but we have been instructed to place them in the upper right hand corner of the tag.

vtk

Quote from: thenetwork on May 29, 2015, 07:08:01 PM
I want to say that Ohio kind of did.  If you got your tags renewed by mail, your renewal sticker would have the plate number -- if you renewed in person at the license bureau, it would be a generic sticker number.

Actually, renewing in person, one gets a sticker with the plate number and exact expiration date. (I'd post a photo of my shiny new sticker but I don't have an easy way to upload photos directly from this device.) Apparently they print them on demand. Only the county stickers come on big pre-printed rolls.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brandon

Quote from: catch22 on May 29, 2015, 06:58:22 PM

Michigan does.

Illinois does this as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

PHLBOS

MA and PA do not.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

Quote from: vtk on June 03, 2015, 04:18:45 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on May 29, 2015, 07:08:01 PM

Actually, renewing in person, one gets a sticker with the plate number and exact expiration date. (I'd post a photo of my shiny new sticker but I don't have an easy way to upload photos directly from this device.) Apparently they print them on demand. Only the county stickers come on big pre-printed rolls.

OK, that might have changed from the olden days 10+ years ago when I last had plates from there.

BTW, in the days when the county stickers were spelled out in full and you would affix them to the bottom center of the plate, the spacing between letters would vary (Erie vs Montgomery Co., for example).  My county had too much space between letters, IMO, so I used to splice my county stickers to make the spacing look neater.  I also put a Chief Wahoo sticker over the state imprint which divided the letters and numbers, since I was an Indians fan. Never had any problems.

Big John

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 03, 2015, 05:29:54 PM
MA and PA do not.
WI does not either

The Nature Boy

I wonder if CT drivers with pre-07 plates ever get pulled by overzealous out of state cops who see a 2007 registration sticker and jump to the conclusion that someone has a REALLY out of date plate.....

Scott5114

Oklahoma stickers have a serial number on them unrelated to the plate number. The stickers come on big sheets with perhaps 25 stickers on them, and the tag agent detaches one sticker for you and logs the sticker number in their computer.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

democraticnole

I'm new to the site and haven't read through the whole thread (did read first couple of pages), but I'm surprised by how much bitching some people do about the front license plate. Pretty much the entire world uses front and black plates and 31/50 states do, taking up the vast majority of the U.S. population do so. When growing up for several years, I don't remember anyone's lives being negatively impacted because of a front license plate. I wish Florida had front and back plates.

I was reminded about the safety side of having front plates about 11 years ago when driving on 95 in Broward County. There was a car passing cars in the breakdown lane next to the center jersey barrier. This car proceeded to do it to the car behind me, which caused this car to swerve left, then right, then back left again and slammed into the jersey barrier at 70 mph, crushing the vehicle. The car passing then immediately got over to the right and exited. Because he had no front plate, I was unable to report that to FHP when I called in the accident.

There's also the revenue side of the equation. As much of the country unfortunately forgets history and embraces toll roads, having front plates greatly increases the likelihood of collecting the toll revenue. The Texas A&M Transportation Institute did a study on this. Colorado estimated that 34% of their tolls would be lost on E-470 without front plates.

SP Cook

The "rest of the world"  does lots of stupid crap.

Front plates are ugly and ruin the looks of most cars.

37.25% of the population lives in a state with the enlightened logic to only have rear plates.  Thus less than 2/3rds is far less than "the vast majority".

Collecting of tolls by plate recognition is a stupid way to collect tolls.  Hire some toll takers and get an ez pass like system.  Places that won't do that deserve to be cheated.

There is no study that front plates have any positive effect on law enforcement.

democraticnole

Quote from: SP Cook on June 05, 2015, 10:28:28 AM
The "rest of the world"  does lots of stupid crap.

37.25% of the population lives in a state with the enlightened logic to only have rear plates.  Thus less than 2/3rds is far less than "the vast majority".

Collecting of tolls by plate recognition is a stupid way to collect tolls.  Hire some toll takers and get an ez pass like system.  Places that won't do that deserve to be cheated.

There is no study that front plates have any positive effect on law enforcement.

How does the front plate really ruin the look of the car? I could maybe let that argument slide for some kind of really expensive sports car like a Ferrari, but 99.9% of the cars it really makes no difference on. The TTI study also gets into this as well. Advertising in the US typically shows vehicles without the front plate, while elsewhere in the world, such as Europe, the front plate bracket has to be shown in the advertising. If you saw car ads with the front plate bracket, you probably wouldn't even notice a difference.

Take a visit to frontplate.org. They have some information on some of the numbers. Police reports indicate that front plates helps with 20% of their cases involving a motor vehicle.

SP Cook

frontplate.org belongs to 3M. 

WHICH MAKES THE PLATES. 

Thus, if the states that represent the 37.5% population that are currently enlightened can be fooled into this unneeded expense, 3M stands to make $$.   This is just a variant on the common "astroturf" move by a big company.

As to the rediculious idea that unneeded front plates do not ruin  the looks of cars, you probably need an eye test.   Front plates are ugly.

swbrotha100

How often have states changed from a one-plate state to a two-plate state? Or vice versa?

democraticnole

Quote from: SP Cook on June 05, 2015, 01:05:44 PM
frontplate.org belongs to 3M. 

WHICH MAKES THE PLATES. 

Thus, if the states that represent the 37.5% population that are currently enlightened can be fooled into this unneeded expense, 3M stands to make $$.   This is just a variant on the common "astroturf" move by a big company.

As to the rediculious idea that unneeded front plates do not ruin  the looks of cars, you probably need an eye test.   Front plates are ugly.

Just because 3M happens to have an incentive in advocating for the plates doesn't mean that the arguments themselves are not valid.

We can agree to disagree on the aesthetics of it. I could show you numerous cars where I don't think it's an issue. You do however illustrate the passion that some people have about the issue. It's always surprised me.

myosh_tino

Quote from: SP Cook on June 05, 2015, 10:28:28 AM

Not sure about the EZPass system(s) but the only way California's FasTrak system does toll enforcement is by capturing a license plate using a camera and sending the registered owner a toll violation notice.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.