License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer78

I always thought they could/should combine the window sticker. Nothing stopping them from having an inspection or inspection/emission sticker (modified however necessary)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Flyer78 on February 11, 2016, 08:12:42 PM
I always thought they could/should combine the window sticker. Nothing stopping them from having an inspection or inspection/emission sticker (modified however necessary)
Massachusetts has done such for decades; although most vehicles (less than 15 years old) are required to undergo an emissions test every 2 years regardless of which county the vehicle is registered.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: briantroutman on February 11, 2016, 02:56:04 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 11, 2016, 12:48:18 PM
Effective Jan. 1, 2017; PennDOT will no longer be issuing registration stickers for license plates.

Perhaps now, residents of the Delaware Valley won’t have to worry about marauding bands of thieves with tinsnips cutting off the corners of their license plates.

I didn't think this was much of a thing for the past decade.

There is a thing though where, for a small fee, some unscrupulous inspection stations will sell you a sticker without having the actual testing done.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 12, 2016, 09:02:24 AM
Effective Jan. 1, 2017; PennDOT will no longer be issuing registration stickers for license plates.
Perhaps now, residents of the Delaware Valley won't have to worry about marauding bands of thieves with tinsnips cutting off the corners of their license plates.

Moving the spot for the registration sticker from the lower-left (upon original issue) to the upper-left of the plate (when PA first adopted the tri-color scheme with a URL address on the bottom) plus most newer vehicles no longer have the mountings for rear-license plates located in such a way where one can easily get at one corner (not without a struggle anyway) have indeed cut the number of plate clippings and/or sticker thefts down.  Of course, one can always steal the entire plate; but such can still happen plate sticker or no plate sticker.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 12, 2016, 09:02:24 AMThere is a thing though where, for a small fee, some unscrupulous inspection stations will sell you a sticker without having the actual testing done.
Such practice only applied towards the windshield stickers; not plate stickers.  To quote the Frontier Airlines slogan, that's a whole different animal.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jwolfer

[http://www.towleroad.com/2016/01/gay-florida-man-complains-receiving-gay-license-plate-auto-dealership-video/

So this gay man is upset because his Volvo got a general issue tag with GAY W13.  He got all butt hurt and complained to channel 9 news in Orlando.  Really a non-issue the tax collector would change it out for him no charge, or he could have opted for one of the myriad of specialty tags

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

jwolfer

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 12, 2016, 08:51:57 AM
Quote from: Flyer78 on February 11, 2016, 08:12:42 PM
Massachusetts has done such for decades; although most vehicles (less than 15 years old) are required to undergo an emissions test every 2 years regardless of which county the vehicle is registered.

Back in the days of the sheet-metal plates which were supposed to be used for two years (with a legend such as "MASS 64" or "66 MASS"), the second year was validated by a white windshield sticker, placed top center (see below).  So, every other year, you had two windshield stickers.  Plate stickers didn't show up until after they started using the reflectorized aluminum plates in 1967.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on February 19, 2016, 11:40:12 AM
I probably mentioned similar earlier in this thread; but given that it's now 37 pages long, I'll repeat it here.  The last of the windshield registration stickers were the square blue 69 stickers.

Growing up, I remember seeing many older cars that either still had this sticker on in tact or traces of it where the service station attendant scraped it off.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Nature Boy

Coincidence that North Carolina would begin issuing a standard plate that says "First in Freedom" during the tenure of Ohio-born Governor Pat McCrory? Sneaky Ohio sneaky.

(Yes, NCDOT is treating that a standard issue plate and not charging extra. You can still get "First in Flight" though.)

SteveG1988

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 12, 2016, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 12, 2016, 09:02:24 AM
Perhaps now, residents of the Delaware Valley won't have to worry about marauding bands of thieves with tinsnips cutting off the corners of their license plates.

Moving the spot for the registration sticker from the lower-left (upon original issue) to the upper-left of the plate (when PA first adopted the tri-color scheme with a URL address on the bottom) plus most newer vehicles no longer have the mountings for rear-license plates located in such a way where one can easily get at one corner (not without a struggle anyway) have indeed cut the number of plate clippings and/or sticker thefts down.  Of course, one can always steal the entire plate; but such can still happen plate sticker or no plate sticker.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 12, 2016, 09:02:24 AMThere is a thing though where, for a small fee, some unscrupulous inspection stations will sell you a sticker without having the actual testing done.
Such practice only applied towards the windshield stickers; not plate stickers.  To quote the Frontier Airlines slogan, that's a whole different animal.

In smog states it is easy to get a "pass" If i am buying a used car i would trust a state run inspection for NJ than a private facility. Where on a pre 1996 car all they would have to do is smog test a car that passed, and feed that data into the computer.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

corco

New Wyoming plates started appearing last month for 2-year registrations. One year registrations will wait another year for the new plates.

Not too bad - we'll see how they age.

Interestingly, two digit counties will return to being stacked so that toll roads will understand them.
http://sundancetimes.com/new-license-plates-revealed/

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on March 03, 2016, 09:08:13 AM
Iowa bill would eliminate front license plates

Quote from: ArticleUnder House Bill 540, only one registration plate would be issued and attached to the rear of a vehicle. The plan could save the state nearly $500,000 annually.]Iowa lawmakers have proposed a bill that would eliminate front license plates.

Under House Bill 540, only one registration plate would be issued and attached to the rear of a vehicle. The plan could save the state nearly $500,000 annually.
Broken link in 2nd part of above-quote intentionally fixed.

Sounds like Iowa's doing what Massachusetts did during the mid-to-late 70s with their green-on-white plates (some of which are still around).  Like Massachusetts, there's already some opposed to such in Iowa as mentioned further down in the article:

Quote from: ArticleHowever, members of local law enforcement agencies say there are benefits to having two plates, like easier identification of cars headed their way.

"If we have an attempt to locate vehicle, if it's someone who's maybe having a medical problem, maybe a subject that's wanted in a crime, maybe a reckless driver complaint, if we're sitting in the median and we can see that front plate, we have the description of the vehicle, we confirm it," said Trooper Dan Loussaert.

Loussaert, though, says the Iowa State Patrol is neither opposed nor in support of the bill.

In short: same stuff/different state.  Let's see what happens 10 years down the road.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

Should Iowa license plates drop the county name? Never!

A story covering the history of county names being added to Iowa license plates and opinions on whether or not they should still be displayed. Personally I like seeing the county name on license plates, so hopefully they stay.

thenetwork

Quote from: Alex on April 01, 2016, 01:43:46 PM

A story covering the history of county names being added to Iowa license plates and opinions on whether or not they should still be displayed. Personally I like seeing the county name on license plates, so hopefully they stay.

Ohio used to have the county name ala Iowa, but changed to a permanent numbered sticker (which corresponded to a specific county) that was affixed to the back of the plate around 2000.  So usually, Ohioans can tell who their "neighbors" are in the wild, but those unfamiliar with the county number system are most likely clueless.

SP Cook

Nebraska has an issue.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/License-Plate-Adjustment-Announced-374330071.html

New plates were to use "the sower" an allegorical statue of a Roman farmer.  However the designer used a picture of the version at Michigan State U., not the one at Nebraska's capitol.

jwolfer

Florida has the option for County names, but most people opt for generic "Sunshine State" or ' In God We Trust"( except Miami-Dade which does not offer County name).. Not to mention one if the hundreds of specialty tags. The canceled 2012 redesign of tags did not have Counties..

People like the privacy of no County... And back in the 1990s there were some tourists murdered in Miami.. There were rumors gangs were killing people with non Dade tags..

Funny thing those "I want privacy" types have stickers showing their hobbies, kids schools, sports played, names, church,causes etc.. But God forbid someone knows I live in Duval County!

Darkchylde

I saw a car with a new Louisiana plate while riding around the other day in KC. Had to have been general issue, it was three letters then three digits. I figured they would have quit doing the bicentennial plate by now, but I couldn't fully read the new design at freeway speed. Anyone got news on this?

vdeane

NY also allows people to pay extra for county plates (along with the hobby/profession designs).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 03, 2016, 02:58:43 PM
NY also allows people to pay extra for county plates (along with the hobby/profession designs).

New York has a boatload of alternative designs. There are very few county plates publicly available, most being regional. Saratoga, Schenectady, and Washington are the only 3 counties I know of with dedicated plates.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on April 03, 2016, 03:20:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 03, 2016, 02:58:43 PM

New York has a boatload of alternative designs. There are very few county plates publicly available, most being regional. Saratoga, Schenectady, and Washington are the only 3 counties I know of with dedicated plates.
The DMV website listed all of them the last time I looked.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Doctor Whom

Quote"And law enforcement says it helps them identify when somebody is out of place."
That's an excellent reason not to have it.

kkt

Quote from: Doctor Whom on April 04, 2016, 10:01:27 PM
Quote"And law enforcement says it helps them identify when somebody is out of place."

:clap:

Isn't there a song lyric about a corrupt small-town cop that goes something like "I'd like to see 'em try to get by me with their outta state license plates!".  Google fails, but I remember it pretty well. 

Putting the county on the plate just extends the same opportunity for favoritism to local law enforcement.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kkt on April 05, 2016, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: Doctor Whom on April 04, 2016, 10:01:27 PM

:clap:

Isn't there a song lyric about a corrupt small-town cop that goes something like "I'd like to see 'em try to get by me with their outta state license plates!".  Google fails, but I remember it pretty well. 

Putting the county on the plate just extends the same opportunity for favoritism to local law enforcement.

Such also means that if someone moves within the sate but to a different county; they may (since I've never resided in a state that places county names on plates, I'm only speculating) be forced to change their license plate(s) to one(s) that bears their present county residence.  An additional hassle IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.