News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

While I still have yet to see one out on the road, License Plate News has confirmed plates in the 7AAA000 series. The current high is 7AAG016. Those plates are gonna look weird...

It took 5 years and about 8 months for the 6AAA000 series to run out.

OCGuy81

QuoteWhile I still have yet to see one out on the road, License Plate News has confirmed plates in the 7AAA000 series. The current high is 7AAG016. Those plates are gonna look weird...

D'oh! I just got plates for my new car and got a "late" 6 series.  Would've been cool to have a 7 series.  Oh well.

OCGuy81

I saw this courtesy of licenseplates.cc.  Does anybody know if Florida is actually planning on using 3 numbers and 4 letters for the new format?  That makes for a lot of possible combinations, one that likely lasts decades.  IIRC, only Ontario is issuing a similar format right now, and they just got to the "B" series after what? A decade?

agentsteel53

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on March 23, 2013, 11:54:49 PM
While I still have yet to see one out on the road, License Plate News has confirmed plates in the 7AAA000 series. The current high is 7AAG016. Those plates are gonna look weird...

I have a photo of 7ABF080.  Scott Broady spotted it in San Francisco.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

djsinco

I saw one of these the other day on a pizza delivery car :paranoid:... Not sure what to think

3 million miles and counting

signalman

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 02, 2013, 12:44:18 PM
I saw this courtesy of licenseplates.cc.  Does anybody know if Florida is actually planning on using 3 numbers and 4 letters for the new format?  That makes for a lot of possible combinations, one that likely lasts decades.  IIRC, only Ontario is issuing a similar format right now, and they just got to the "B" series after what? A decade?

Yes, this is Florida's current series.

kphoger

Quote from: djsinco on April 02, 2013, 01:54:37 PM
I saw one of these the other day on a pizza delivery car :paranoid:... Not sure what to think

A flat tire on that car might encourage racist jokes....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 02, 2013, 04:31:23 PM

I don't get it.

jake@aaroads.com

route56

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2013, 05:33:15 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 02, 2013, 04:31:23 PM

I don't get it.

Neither do I.  Must be a "Jersey Shore" thing.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: djsinco on April 02, 2013, 01:54:37 PM

will Colorado issue them for any ethnicity or affiliation?  I want an Alan-American plate.  how many signatures do I need to put together?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2013, 07:42:59 PM
I want an Alan-American plate.  how many signatures do I need to put together?
All you need is a bit of white-out.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on April 02, 2013, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2013, 07:42:59 PM
I want an Alan-American plate.  how many signatures do I need to put together?
All you need is a bit of white-out.

I was imagining him turning in a paper chain to some government office.
Male pronouns, please.

SP Cook

Teddy Roosevelt said

QuoteThere is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.
This is just as true of the man who puts "native"  before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.
But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.
The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.

Yep.

kphoger

At the risk of totally derailing this thread.....

I'm not too concerned about being a "good" American or even "not an American at all".  I've never understood the notion that one must be wholeheartedly allegiant to one nation alone.  Besides which, an Italian American's (TR would be happy that I omitted the hyphen) fealty may very will be to America alone, yet he retains the label because he's proud of his family, heritage, and cultural traditions; to suggest that he do otherwise even smacks of cruelty.  But, more to my original point, who cares if a person is loyal to two nations?

Back on the topic of license plate news.....

I just came across this on the LicensePlates.cc website:

Quote from: http://www.licenseplates.cc/story.php?headline=Euro-size-plates-in-Puerto-Rico
Jan 20, 2013 – Puerto Rico motorists now have the option to use Euro-size license plates measuring approximately 20¾ x 4½ inches.

The optional plate series was proposed in 2011 (see www.dtop.gov.pr/noticias.asp?cnt_id=1188), and the plates are now being issued in the "I" series, as shown here.

The yellow band at the left contains the island's current tourism slogan, "Puerto Rico does it better," in English at the top and in Spanish at the bottom ("Puerto Rico lo hace mejor").

The blue dot within the yellow band contains the message "Llévalos contigo siempre: Valores," or "Always take your values with you"--a motivational message being promoted in various public venues around the island.

Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

The yellow band at the left contains the island's current tourism slogan, "Puerto Rico does it better," in English at the top and in Spanish at the bottom ("Puerto Rico lo hace mejor").

The blue dot within the yellow band contains the message "Llévalos contigo siempre: Valores," or "Always take your values with you"--a motivational message being promoted in various public venues around the island.

I see potential here for at least six more catchphrases.

(seriously, is there any other jurisdiction which has more than one on their plates?)

jake@aaroads.com

CentralCAroadgeek

Well, as far as I can think of right now, Ohio is soon to have a plate made up entirely of slogans in its design. There was already a discussion on that plate on this thread.

vtk

Quote from: kphoger on April 03, 2013, 10:19:25 AM
At the risk of totally derailing this thread.....

I'm not too concerned about being a "good" American or even "not an American at all".  I've never understood the notion that one must be wholeheartedly allegiant to one nation alone.  Besides which, an Italian American's (TR would be happy that I omitted the hyphen) fealty may very will be to America alone, yet he retains the label because he's proud of his family, heritage, and cultural traditions; to suggest that he do otherwise even smacks of cruelty.  But, more to my original point, who cares if a person is loyal to two nations?

I'm a proud citizen of Earth.  Future developments in interplanetary travel and/or communication may prompt me to further generalize that statement.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

I'll be a proud citizen of Earth until such time as I see another planet's society to compare ours to.  At which time, I'll decide whether to be proud or not.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Alanland neither has, nor does not lack, Kardashians.

thus, I am a proud Alan-Alanlandian.

jake@aaroads.com

CentralCAroadgeek

I might be a license plate collector, but there is one thing concerning license plates that I don't really understand, and that is the stickers. What I mean is that all the month stickers are jacked up compared to when the plate was actually produced. For example, yesterday, I was out on the road and I saw a 6YOJnnn plate that had May 2014 stickers. Now I'm confused about this because the late 6Y series was issued in December and May obviously hasn't come yet. Any explanations for this?

corco

Yeah, date of production has nothing to do with date of issue. Say I'm DMV location x- I order 1,000 license plates numbered 1-1000. Halfway through DMV location x running out of license plates, DMV location y orders 1000 plates numbered 1001-2000. License plate 502 will probably get issued by DMV x at the same time as license plate 1002 is issued by DMV y.

The late 6Y series probably reached your area in late December, but maybe the DMV in, say, Redding had them as early as last May.

vtk

I was going to say the owner's birthday is in May, but I guess that's not the way they do it everywhere...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

corco

QuoteI was going to say the owner's birthday is in May, but I guess that's not the way they do it everywhere...

Whoa, vehicle registration expiration is tied to birthdays in some states? That seems like a privacy issue.

Speaking of that though, in response to CentralCARoadgeek's question- California is a state where the license plate stays with the car, not the owner, right? So if I have a car and trade it in, maybe I could transfer my registration to a new plate and have five months or so left on my registration, resulting in a weirdly monthed sticker?

brad2971

Quote from: corco on April 07, 2013, 10:53:35 PM
QuoteI was going to say the owner's birthday is in May, but I guess that's not the way they do it everywhere…

Whoa, vehicle registration expiration is tied to birthdays in some states? That seems like a privacy issue.

Speaking of that though, in response to CentralCARoadgeek's question- California is a state where the license plate stays with the car, not the owner, right? So if I have a car and trade it in, maybe I could transfer my registration to a new plate and have five months or so left on my registration, resulting in a weirdly monthed sticker?

South Dakota was the last state (in 2008) to set up a system in which the license plates stay with the OWNER, not the CAR. SD would likely have not made that change if LEOs from out of state weren't bothering SD's citizens about previously owned cars that still have the SD plates on them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.