News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How long do you like winter to last

Started by Hurricane Rex, December 16, 2017, 03:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long do you like winter to last?

YEAR ROUND!!!
Longer than currently
Just right
A little less than it currently is
First two storms than I'm done.
What's Winter?
0 seconds

Hurricane Rex

Just curious. Mine is longer than currently because I like a good long ski season.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

MNHighwayMan

Is this the next series of threads, in the vein of the "AARoads topics in..." series? "How much/how long/how [whatever] you like snow?" :rolleyes:

oscar

The nice thing about winter is that it means spring is on the way. (At least where I live now -- in San Diego, the joke was its four seasons are "early summer, summer, late summer, and next summer"). So I have no interest in prolonging winter.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

texaskdog

I moved just far enough south to see snow once every 3 years

TheHighwayMan3561

I wouldn't mind if it snowed every day from November through New Year's and then got no more the rest of winter.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 16, 2017, 04:07:04 AM
Is this the next series of threads, in the vein of the "AARoads topics in..." series? "How much/how long/how [whatever] you like snow?" :rolleyes:

Pretty much but didn't think of this that way. I was thinking about doing Summer too when June comes around.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

A little less. I don't mind snow around Chistmas but by March I need spring!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Not long, I like being able to drive roads in the high Sierras unabated.

kphoger

First two storms than I'm done.

Despite the spelling error and missing comma, this one nailed it on the head for me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jwolfer

I bitch and moan about winter in North Florida... I would rather live on the equator.

My friend is from Salvador, Brazil right near the equator.. he said he thought he would die from the cold in South Florida the first time it went down to the 50s when he first moved to the US. I would like Salvador's climate

Z981

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jwolfer on December 18, 2017, 06:12:39 PM
I bitch and moan about winter in North Florida... I would rather live on the equator.

My friend is from Salvador, Brazil right near the equator.. he said he thought he would die from the cold in South Florida the first time it went down to the 50s when he first moved to the US. I would like Salvador's climate

Z981

I don a pair of shorts when it hits 50 in the springtime...

jwolfer

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 18, 2017, 07:00:00 PM

Z981

The coldest day of winter here

Z981

Roadgeekteen

Z981

You would fit in at my high school.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 18, 2017, 08:58:59 PM

Z981

You would fit in at my high school.
I have a saying with the cross country team: Above freezing, coats and pants are for noobs. :bigass:

Running till I die.

GaryV

Where's the "week and a half" option?  From 2 days before Christmas to the day after New Years.  That's all the winter we need.

7/8

I like winter to start in early December. It sucks when the ski resorts have little to no snow during the Christmas break.

Before university, I wanted winter to end in late March, since my family would often go skiing during March break (which is a week off school in the middle of the month). Now that I'm in university, I would say early March, since universities don't have March break. Instead, we have Reading Week which is in February.

As much as I like skiing, it's also exciting to replace the winter jacket with a hoodie during the start of spring :).

Interstate 69 Fan

Officially, it Runs December 21 to March 20. IMO, it should run from around November 25 to March 10th.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

dvferyance

I like it when it holds off in December and doesn't start until January. That way you only have to dread 2 months instead of 3. At least then you can still look forward to the days getting longer. I can tolerate some snow in March before the month is half over. After that then it's like baseball's November world series. Something that goes too long.

slorydn1

Quote from: GaryV on December 19, 2017, 04:52:52 PM
Where's the "week and a half" option?  From 2 days before Christmas to the day after New Years.  That's all the winter we need.

+1 You nailed it for me right there. I wouldn't mind one good Lake Michigan style lake effect blizzard and then enough time to let it thaw slowly and then be right back to being able to swim and do other outside activities without a coat on again. A week and a half would be perfect, I think!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: slorydn1 on December 20, 2017, 03:15:16 AM
Quote from: GaryV on December 19, 2017, 04:52:52 PM

+1 You nailed it for me right there. I wouldn't mind one good Lake Michigan style lake effect blizzard and then enough time to let it thaw slowly and then be right back to being able to swim and do other outside activities without a coat on again. A week and a half would be perfect, I think!

In my opinion, that qualifies as first 2 storms then I'm done.

Running till I die.

cjk374

I work outside. I prefer cold to heat. I make my own heat when I start moving around (or after a Taco Bell meal). I don't wear a jacket when I work or I will sweat in the jacket & it will be too slimy to put back on. Winter is my friend, summer is not.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dcharlie

As I get older, about a day and a half would be good!   :-D

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 16, 2017, 10:31:08 PM
Not long, I like being able to drive roads in the high Sierras unabated.
How have the storms been in Sierras this year? LA is off to a very dry start this winter and I'm worried the snow pack hasn't been the greatest in the mountains this season.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.