News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 14, 2018, 09:55:49 PM
So far, only the Cape May and Bloomfield barrier tolls have been converted to full service only (that I've seen). With the elimination of the exact change lanes, they are switching to the MUTCD standard "FULL SERVICE" lane graphics at the plaza. Naturally the one (!) staffed lane at the Cape May plaza had a long line of cars at it.

"Full Service" is a complete NJTA thing. It's starting to pop up at the Turnpike plazas as well, complete with pictogram, in place of the older "Cash/EZ-Pass" signs.

NJRoadfan

Union toll plaza was being converted today.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 14, 2018, 08:18:44 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2018, 10:25:33 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/9TrgGFScyxB2 Is the Exit 7S gore sign with the SB GSP shield the only guide for the WB (or even EB as ditto for the other side) ACE for the Parkway South?

https://goo.gl/maps/MigV5tZfUG92
I am aware of that one, but there is no at exit guide here.  There used to be a left side Cape May Guide with a Parkway shield under it before the GSP crossing, but even that perished.  I assume that was gone when the ACE was six laned some time ago. 

PA at the Fort Indiantown Gap exit used to lack one as the sign bridge before the PA 934 ramp departed had a Next Right sign, but as we all know the MUTCD made it where an at exit sign must be present.  Heck PA, FL, and SC all had to nix the "Next Right" in favor of an arrow due to MUTCD compliances over the years.

Of course the ACE does not want to change signs and bring them up to date.  Most guides still use all upper case.  They did though used mix case going EB at US 9, but because that was added later after the change in guidelines, but other than that the whole ACE has old signage. 

You must agree that new overheads are needed there and with 3 lanes each way its time to adapt.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek2500

Over the summer, I was out on the water and decided to get some shots of the Great Egg Harbor Bridge construction.
I find it fascinating that they took the northbound bridge all the way down to the piles even though they don't look in that great a shape.

Here are the pictures
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

NJRoadfan

All that money spent just to have a two lane wide bridge with no safety shoulder.

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2018, 10:25:33 PM
(or even EB as ditto for the other side)
Eastbound, there is, what I think is intended to be the exit sign:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4235225,-74.5742414,3a,75y,122.28h,104.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siFS082IXjGkvDo3gerCMoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
Of course, that sign is all sorts of incorrect and a bit too far away from the exit, but it does mention the GSP.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 16, 2018, 12:21:34 AM
All that money spent just to have a two lane wide bridge with no safety shoulder.
Huh? All of the Parkway's new bridges are built to be expanded to 3 lanes wide with shoulders. Right NOW, no, because there's still construction.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: Alps on October 16, 2018, 06:04:28 PM
Huh? All of the Parkway's new bridges are built to be expanded to 3 lanes wide with shoulders. Right NOW, no, because there's still construction.
Yes but the northbound bridge that they are rehabbing is going to be just as wide as it used to be.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on October 16, 2018, 06:12:46 PM
Yes but the northbound bridge that they are rehabbing is going to be just as wide as it used to be.

Because the NB span was newer, they decided just to do a rehab. Considering what they're doing with it, it would've been nice to widen it for a 3rd lane to take advantage of the current lane configuration on the future SB side.

Roadsguy

Wait, are they rebuilding the whole northbound bridge as-is or were only a few of the segments totally replaced?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 16, 2018, 06:41:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on October 16, 2018, 06:12:46 PM

Because the NB span was newer, they decided just to do a rehab. Considering what they're doing with it, it would've been nice to widen it for a 3rd lane to take advantage of the current lane configuration on the future SB side.
Okay, I did not realize that at all. I'm surprised.

02 Park Ave

The Bergen toll plaza now has the Full Service lanes.
C-o-H

roadman65

In Florida we do not accept debit or credit cards, so I guess they cannot change the signs to full service.

If I understand this correctly it means cash, credit, or EZ Pass.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2018, 09:51:03 PM
In Florida we do not accept debit or credit cards, so I guess they cannot change the signs to full service.

Except neither Turnpike Authority facility takes credit or debit cards either...

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on October 16, 2018, 10:08:25 PM

Except neither Turnpike Authority facility takes credit or debit cards either...
Oh boy, as a former toll collector the toll collectors there are going to here it from the motorists who refuse to carry cash and rely on Mr. Debit.

Did I not here, though, that the Parkway and Turnpike do accept debit cards?  I do not know if it was here from another user or on an internet article I surfed recently, but I seen it someplace.  Maybe it was for another NYC metro roadway, but I do know one EZ Pass toll road does accept them now.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2018, 10:48:03 PM

Oh boy, as a former toll collector the toll collectors there are going to here it from the motorists who refuse to carry cash and rely on Mr. Debit.

Did I not here, though, that the Parkway and Turnpike do accept debit cards?  I do not know if it was here from another user or on an internet article I surfed recently, but I seen it someplace.  Maybe it was for another NYC metro roadway, but I do know one EZ Pass toll road does accept them now.

Probably not what you are talking about since its way down here, but the Dulles Toll Road has EZPASS and accepts credit/debit cards.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 16, 2018, 06:49:44 PM
Wait, are they rebuilding the whole northbound bridge as-is or were only a few of the segments totally replaced?

Every segment will be completely replaced. The only thing original will be the concrete piles.

02 Park Ave

Full servicein NJ means cash, exact change, or EZPass.

The Indiana East-West Toll Road accepts credit cards along with currency and EZPass.
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

The PA Turnpike accepts credit/debit cards.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 16, 2018, 11:52:48 PM

That is where I saw the acceptance. 

However, Full Service to me would mean everything accepted.

Sheryl Crowe

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on October 18, 2018, 11:27:58 PM

to me, "Full Service" means there's an attendant - which is consistent with how it is used at gas stations. it has nothing to do with accepted methods of payment.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on October 19, 2018, 10:03:10 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 18, 2018, 11:27:58 PM

to me, "Full Service" means there's an attendant - which is consistent with how it is used at gas stations. it has nothing to do with accepted methods of payment.

I wished they didn't go that way with the wording because it is a bit confusing.  'Cash' is very plain and simple.

Then again, I've seen people enter the 'EZ Pass Only' lanes, stop, and ask what it means. 

Tonytone

Whats the issue with tolls converting to debit & credit? Full Service sounds a lot like "we have & we accept everything"  & Wouldn't switching to toll less gantries solve everything ? Ezpass or they send the bill in the mail every month.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 19, 2018, 12:41:57 PM
Whats the issue with tolls converting to debit & credit?
iPhone

There's a credit card transaction fee of approximately 3% of the charge every time the card is used, usually paid by the company.  There's also equipment expenses, phone line expenses, receipt paper expenses, etc.   Toll agencies don't want to pay these fees and expenses.  They would rather motorists convert to EZ Pass.

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 19, 2018, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 19, 2018, 12:41:57 PM
Whats the issue with tolls converting to debit & credit?
iPhone

There's a credit card transaction fee of approximately 3% of the charge every time the card is used, usually paid by the company.  There's also equipment expenses, phone line expenses, receipt paper expenses, etc.   Toll agencies don't want to pay these fees and expenses.  They would rather motorists convert to EZ Pass.
Actually makes sense. Its their type of debit. Because you're card is hooked up to it.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.