News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: 74/171FAN on Today at 01:00:43 PM^Am I mistaken to assume that you have higher exit numbers in PA?

351 for I-95's exit on the Schooly D.
Northeast / Re: Pennsylvania
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 01:03:53 PM
^FYI, there is a separate thread specifically for PA Turnpike News.  (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=419.0)
^Am I mistaken to assume that you have higher exit numbers in PA?
General Highway Talk / Re: I'm so old that...
Last post by vdeane - Today at 12:48:55 PM
Not as old as most of you, but a few things I remember that our younger forum members wouldn't:
-When NY expanded its 65 zones from rural areas into more suburban/exurban areas (such as the eastern and western ends of I-490)
-The stub interchange between NY 204 and NY 33A
-The Stutson Street Bridge
-When NY 332 was a two-lane road through farm country
-Using the interchange that used to exist between ON 405 and Niagara River Parkway (since consumed by the expanded border facilities)
General Highway Talk / Re: I'm so old that...
Last post by Streetman - Today at 12:43:30 PM
...BGS on the Connecticut Turnpike were blue and service plaza signs were green.
...BGS on the Merritt and Wilbur Cross parkways were wooden with ragged edges. (Zigzag design on current Merritt signs pays homage to them.)
...I paid tolls at every toll plaza on those three highways.
...There were still a few, very few, yellow stop signs in the field.
...Traffic signals in NYC had only red and green lights. Red and green would come on together to indicate yellow.
Quote from: tdindy88 on June 11, 2024, 04:20:12 PMSpeaking of sound barriers, I notice there isn't any planned for Sunshine Gardens, a neighborhood just south and west of the massive I-465/I-69 interchange complex. I'd be curious to know what lead to the decision to not have one there.

Several things go into it. The new road must meet the threshold for absolute noise as well as change in noise for the adjacent land use. A noise wall must be cost effective (cost per receptor property), it must be technically feasible to build, including achieving a minimum sound reduction difference. If a wall will only provide 1 or 2 dB of sound reduction it is still not considered technically feasible even if it is constructable. There are also new rules that a majority of the affected property owners or renters must be in favor of the wall, and can veto its construction even if it is warranted by policy, cost effective, and technically feasible.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by thenetwork - Today at 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: countysigns on June 11, 2024, 11:45:59 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 11, 2024, 11:07:39 AMWasn't Interstate 280 a very substandard freeway when it was first constructed? It originally had at-grade intersections and even a traffic signal. It also had some interchanges that were later removed.

Extremely substandard! Until the mid-1980's, Curtice Road was a RIRO before the interchange at Woodville Road (OH-51) (Exit 6 A/B) was redesigned.  Basically, anything south of Woodville Road was an intersection.

Walbridge Road (now Exit 4) had the infamous traffic signal before the exit was built in the 1980's!  Here's an article about installing the traffic signal -> https://tinyurl.com/5n74br94

Lemoyne Road and Ayers Road intersected I-280.  OH-795 was an original exit (Exit 2).

Latcha and Hanley Roads intersected before the Bahnsen Road (Exit 1B) interchange was built to service the truck stops along I-280.  You can read about that here -> https://tinyurl.com/2jzv3zr3

If you wanted to see what I-280 looked like before the exits, take a look at OH-420 which begins/ends where I-280 begins/ends.  It still has crossroads, but I-280's median was a lot narrower, if I remember correctly.

Not to mention the old drawbridge over the Maumee River...thank goodness the Skyway was built, ending almost 50 years of aggravation  :banghead:

IIRC, before it was signed as I-280 in the 60s, it was signed as a SR-x20 (either it was a continuation of SR-120 from the north (Central Ave.) or SR-420 from the south (US-20/23).  So at the completion of the original expressway, it met all the standards of the day. 

When they turned it into I-280, it was expected to be upgraded to interstate standards in the future, but there was no rules at that time that it HAD so be officially signed as FUTURE I-280 as there were so many yet-to-be-built segments of interstates at that point. 
Southeast / Re: Complete NC 540 Project
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 12:11:43 PM
More fun with NC 55 Bypass ramp closures in anticipation of the opening of the next segment of NC 540:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-06-12-temporary-ramp-closures-540.aspx
My highest of 399 has been dethroned earlier. It is now 414 on I-40 in NC.

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: I-69 in KY
Last post by Rick Powell - Today at 12:02:58 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on Today at 06:34:06 AMI see this as preparation for the extension, and that I-69 has not been officially extended yet to Fulton.
Apparently, KYTC is as trigger-happy as Google Maps! But did notice that up and down future 69 from Mayfield to Fulton with the April 2024 street view, the Wingo KY 339 interchange approaches are the only place where official 69 shields appear, and the Purchase Parkway and Future 69 signs are still up everywhere else.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7214998,-88.6856943,3a,39.4y,245.83h,83.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slA_HZuDY231X-thV2_Jm4g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.