Interchanges converted to at-grade intersections

Started by SkyPesos, April 20, 2021, 11:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

With the conversion of the trumpet interchange at US 22 and OH 126 into an at-grade roundabout in Cincinnati underway, this got me thinking, are there other examples of interchanges converted into a roundabout?

Edit: decided to include interchanges converted to at-grade intersections in general, to make this thread more inclusive.

JoePCool14

Are you referring specifically to freeway-to-freeway type interchanges? Or things like standard diamonds being converted to dumbbells or dogbones?

Here's one example of a diamond becoming a pair of roundabounts: CTH-Y and I-43 in New Berlin, WI
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9332295,-88.1606037,16.62z

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SkyPesos

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 20, 2021, 11:33:55 PM
Are you referring specifically to freeway-to-freeway type interchanges? Or things like standard diamonds being converted to dumbbells or dogbones?

Here's one example of a diamond becoming a pair of roundabounts: CTH-Y and I-43 in New Berlin, WI
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9332295,-88.1606037,16.62z
Sry that I wasn't clear in the op. I originally meant converted from an interchange an at-grade roundabout, but I suppose we can include conversions to dumbbells/dogbones here too, as I think my example is very rare, that the thread would die off instantly.

Though is a conversion from a diamond to dogbone an increase or decrease in capacity in the interchange? I'm still stuck on that thought.

ran4sh

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 20, 2021, 11:44:39 PM

Though is a conversion from a diamond to dogbone an increase or decrease in capacity in the interchange? I'm still stuck on that thought.

It depends on how many lanes, whether the diamond intersections had stop signs/traffic lights, traffic counts in each direction, amount of truck traffic, etc.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

froggie

It's not a roundabout.  But in the same vein, the former trumpet interchange connecting US 42 to the Ohio Turnpike was converted to a T-intersection a few decades ago.

TheHighwayMan3561

The US 2/US 51 interchange in Hurley, WI is at the end of its life and will be rebuilt into a roundabout  this construction season.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 89

The junction of US 89, US 180, and I-40 Business in eastern Flagstaff, AZ used to be a trumpet interchange. It is now a simple traffic light.

Ned Weasel

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Y25Y7WCaLVuurXA26

Old US 56 and K-7/Lone Elm Road used to be a standard diamond, with US 56 being an undivided quasi-expressway at the time.  But it was converted long ago to a standard four-way intersection.  And US 56 was re-routed long ago to have more concurrency with I-35, because that's the way Kansas likes to do things.

Now that intersection is being converted to a continuous-flow intersection.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/community/joco-913/article250612999.html
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

thspfc

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 21, 2021, 01:22:00 AM
The US 2/US 51 interchange in Hurley, WI is at the end of its life and will be rebuilt into a roundabout  this construction season.
Why? The trumpet interchange might be slightly overbuilt, but it's fine as it is.

hbelkins

Quote from: thspfc on April 21, 2021, 08:34:26 AM
Why? The trumpet interchange might be slightly overbuilt, but it's fine as it is.

I asked the same question somewhere. The answer was that the bridge needs to be totally replaced, and it's cheaper to build a roundabout, and that's more in line with traffic volumes and a full grade-separated interchange is overkill.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MCRoads

Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2021, 11:49:16 AM
Quote from: thspfc on April 21, 2021, 08:34:26 AM

I asked the same question somewhere. The answer was that the bridge needs to be totally replaced, and it's cheaper to build a roundabout, and that's more in line with traffic volumes and a full grade-separated interchange is overkill.
That's going to be interesting, wonder if they will keep the slip-ramps, and just remove the flyover and attached ramps.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

mgk920

About 20 or so years ago, the former trumpet at the WI 29/124 interchange in Chippewa Falls, WI was replaced with a roundabout, this after WI 29 bypass was completed.

Mike

TheStranger

California examples:

- I-280 at 4th Street in San Francisco, originally one offramp off of northbound 280, now a full at-grade intersection of King Street and 4th Street
- Tower Bridge Gateway (former Route 275/former US 40 and 99W) at 5th Street in West Sacramento, formerly a partial diamond interchange, now a full at-grade intersection
- Oxnard Boulevard (former Route 1) at Channel Islands Boulevard Pleasant Valley Road in Oxnard, converted to intersection in the early 2000s as part of the move of Route 1 to Rice Avenue corridor (which now has an interchange here)
Chris Sampang

Bitmapped

The 1960-ish folded diamond interchange that was previously at US 42/US 250 E/SR 96 in Ashland, OH was replaced with an at-grade intersection. The overpass was due for replacement and ODOT just decided it was better to remove the interchange entirely as US 42 has little through traffic anymore. https://goo.gl/maps/aPtxwHRbtgjk4LUJ8

At Williamstown, OH, old US 30 had a short 4-lane section that included an overpass going over US 68. An earlier iteration of US 30 was used as a connector. When the new US 30 alignment was built in the 2000s, the bridge over US 68 was ripped out and the junction was converted to an at-grade intersection.  https://goo.gl/maps/fVVan4pfmi7o8Er36

Revive 755

Illinois
* Old US 66 at IL 17
* US 34 at US 30/Hill Avenue
* IL 58/Golf Road at IL 59 (the ramps in to/from EB IL 58 used to use this bridge

Missouri
* The southern US 63/US 160 intersection
* Forest Park Parkway at Kingshighway in St. Louis.
Streetview with interchange
Streetview of the intersection that replaced it
* The intersection of Vandeventer Avenue with the little spur off US 40/  The spur used to continue on to Chouteau Avenue and have a 3/4 diamond with Vandeventer with the WB entrance being via a slip ramp from the Gratiot Street/St. Benards Lane intersection.

Iowa
* IA 415 at NE 66th Avenue:  Streetview has the interchange,  Google Earth shows the replacement intersection.

brad2971

DJ Particle

US-20/NY-5 at NY-96A was an interchange until about 1993 or so.

roadman65

US 130 and NJ 33 near Hightstown, NJ used to be a directional interchange before NJDOT tore the US 130 bridge over NJ 33 westbound and the old PRR ROW for the current T intersection.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: DJ Particle on April 22, 2021, 11:57:44 PM
Some discussions occuring to downgrade 96A from four to two lanes.  Doubt that will add up to much in the short term.

Wonder why the four lane section is there, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 12:28:16 AM
Some discussions occuring to downgrade 96A from four to two lanes.  Doubt that will add up to much in the short term.

Wow, I had no idea that used to be a full interchange at US 20/NY 5.

NY 96A carries more long-distance traffic than you might think because it's the main route between Rochester and Ithaca. I also wouldn't be surprised if the four-laning has something to do with the presence of the Seneca Army Depot.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on April 23, 2021, 10:10:37 AM

NY 96A carries more long-distance traffic than you might think because it's the main route between Rochester and Ithaca. I also wouldn't be surprised if the four-laning has something to do with the presence of the Seneca Army Depot.
AADTs don't require four lanes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 04:34:28 PM

AADT is 9.2k as of 2019, so it's not totally absurd. Presumably volumes have fallen in the past few decades, and/or were never as high as expected (as the interchange removal would suggest).

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on April 23, 2021, 05:35:40 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 04:34:28 PM

AADT is 9.2k as of 2019, so it's not totally absurd. Presumably volumes have fallen in the past few decades, and/or were never as high as expected (as the interchange removal would suggest).
Yep, time for the four lanes to go.

SkyPesos

I checked NY's AADT map, and it seems like if a 4 lane expressway is needed for access to Ithaca/Cornell, it would be NY 13 between Ithaca and I-81 in Cortland. It has the highest traffic counts for the highways into Ithaca, with at least 10k AADT the entire way between those two points.

In Ohio, most rural highways with above 10k AADT are 4-laned or under consideration for it. Not sure if NYSDOT have a similar threshold or not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.