Do mods have the permission to modify a user's signature?

Started by geek11111, November 23, 2023, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geek11111

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Dlaoooooooooooooooooooooo

hotdogPi

I assume you're referring to several users that have mojibake from what happened two months ago? Or are you "asking for a friend"?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

geek11111

Quote from: 1 on November 23, 2023, 09:01:14 PM
I assume you're referring to several users that have mojibake from what happened two months ago? Or are you "asking for a friend"?

I just felt that my signature has been modified for no reason

Quillz

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: geek11111 on November 23, 2023, 11:53:38 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 23, 2023, 09:01:14 PM

I just felt that my signature has been modified for no reason

I "Sssssssupect" that there was.

GaryV

Given that moderators have "permission" to delete you, I'm sure they can edit your signature.

TheHighwayMan3561

If it was legitimately offensive I would think they would just delete it rather than changing it to something silly. Or would PM you a warning giving you a chance to change it yourself before they do it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

What did it say previously?

I'd recommend changing it back to what it was and see what kind of response you get.

If the mods did change it, they at least owe you the courtesy of an explanation.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

The problem is that the OP would often open placeholder threads and posts that he would edit later.  He would typically use "sssssssssssssssss" as dummy text prior to editing.  His signature has been like this for awhile and he's only just noticing.

Scott5114

To my knowledge, mods do not have the ability to do this. Administrators do, however.

It is a matter of general courtesy among the staff that whenever a change like this is made that a message is sent to the other staff members informing them of what is being done and why (and in general, unless it is an issue that clearly demands immediate action, we tend to discuss any action affecting a specific user before making it, so everyone has a chance to weigh in first). A quick search finds no such message from any administrator proposing a change to your signature, nor informing the other staff that a change has already taken place (in fact, your username turns up no discussions of that type at all).

I suppose it's possible that one of us made a change they deemed to be so minor as to not be worth bothering to notify everyone else (including me, which would mean that it was so minor I have no memory of even making it). What do you believe was changed about your signature?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Another possibility is that whatever geek11111 wants to be in his signature populates in the signature box, but does not display once saved due to exceeding the 300-character limit. I've never tried a signature longer than 300 characters myself, so I don't know how the software handles it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on November 25, 2023, 09:01:39 PM
I've never tried a signature longer than 300 characters myself, so I don't know how the software handles it.

Anything after the 300th character is immediately deleted in the text box. You can try it yourself without saving.

Note that this limit is pre-processing, meaning before word filters, adding https to links, adding closing tags, etc. If your signature is below 300 pre-processing but above 300 post-processing, it will be fine, but you'll want to save a copy elsewhere as you'll be working with the 300-character-truncated version the next time you try to change it.

Characters outside the Basic Multilingual Plane, such as emoji, count as two.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

geek11111

Max Rockatansky

Rothman

For some reason, an admin removing one "s" a week from the signature until the user notices brings a smile to my face.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Scott5114

Quote from: geek11111 on November 26, 2023, 12:11:06 AM
I just feel that the s's are shortened one day

If you had an excessive number of them, it's possible an admin removed some of them to save space on the screen. Any more than two consecutive letter Ss are semantically identical in English, after all.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 26, 2023, 03:56:47 PM
Quote from: geek11111 on November 26, 2023, 12:11:06 AM
I just feel that the s's are shortened one day

If you had an excessive number of them, it's possible an admin removed some of them to save space on the screen. Any more than two consecutive letter Ss are semantically identical in English, after all.

Thisssssss isssss sssssupicioussssss and sssssoundsssssss like ssssssssomething a sssssssneaky sssssssnake would ssssssay!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Instead of dropping some Ss, how about mixing in some Hs in between the Ss?
Think of it as an old Hungarian trick.  :poke: :spin: :-D
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

dlsterner

geek11111, you *could* always try changing the signature back to what you thought it was.

Then, if you get a purple-text message from a mod/admin ripping you a new one, you have your answer :)

(I'm being a bit ssssssssssarcastic with that ssssssssssuggestion)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jlam

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 25, 2023, 08:58:40 AMTo my knowledge, mods do not have the ability to do this. Administrators do, however.

Just to add:  as a global moderator I have the ability to delete avatars, but must ask an admin to delete or modify a signature.  I have done these things only once, and that was in respect of an infrequent user whose avatar and signature fell out of compliance when we updated the forum guidelines to prohibit political content in account personalization features.  I did PM him to let him know what I had done.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Molandfreak

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 29, 2023, 07:13:20 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 25, 2023, 08:58:40 AMTo my knowledge, mods do not have the ability to do this. Administrators do, however.

Just to add:  as a global moderator I have the ability to delete avatars, but must ask an admin to delete or modify a signature.  I have done these things only once, and that was in respect of an infrequent user whose avatar and signature fell out of compliance when we updated the forum guidelines to prohibit political content in account personalization features.  I did PM him to let him know what I had done.
That was a nice change.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.