News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Commonly confused routes

Started by hotdogPi, November 27, 2013, 03:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Zeffy on December 04, 2013, 11:21:48 AM
I feel like the 6xx series of the New Jersey County Road system would be confusing to any out of staters - if you see a CR 601 shield in Somerset County, the 601 you just found over in Hunterdon County is not the same road. To add on to this confusion, sometimes the numbers change on the same road once you pass into the next county - Mercer CR 604 becomes Somerset CR 601 is an example of this.

Not dissimilar to Virginia's secondary routes and West Virginia's county routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

I can cite some Southern CA examples:

I-15 and CA 15
I-110 and CA 110
I-210 and CA 210
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Zeffy on December 04, 2013, 02:43:32 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 04, 2013, 12:05:50 PM
Sounds just like state highways in different states.

Pretty much - except you're still in the same state.

Right, but NE2's point was that these are county routes, not state routes.  So you should probably expect them to repeat from county to county, just like state routes repeat from state to state.

hotdogPi

All county routes look the same within a state, except for the number and sometimes the county name.

State routes usually look different between states, either by shape or by pattern.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: 1 on December 04, 2013, 04:05:12 PM
All county routes look the same within a state, except for the number and sometimes the county name.

State routes usually look different between states, either by shape or by pattern.

Unless you're in New England, land of the boring squares.  But still, point taken.

But I doubt two county routes in two different counties is what the OP had in mind... except you're the OP, so I'll just stop talking and go sit in the corner.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 04, 2013, 04:26:01 PM

Unless you're in New England, land of the boring squares.  But still, point taken.

But I doubt two county routes in two different counties is what the OP had in mind... except you're the OP, so I'll just stop talking and go sit in the corner.

I did not have it in mind. I don't think it will be confused unless someone travels on it, since most of them are obscure.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

cpzilliacus

In Washington, D.C., I-295, D.C. 295 and the southern end of Md. 201 (which connects to D.C. 295 at the Eastern Avenue overpass near Beaver Heights, Maryland) are frequently confused (even by traffic reporters) even though they are effectively one travel corridor.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

My family missed the exit from US 50 west to MD 201 south because we were looking for 295. (I assume the current sign with TO I-295 was not there.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jemacedo9

Who has that photo of the junction of US 11/15 and PA 17, with the added sign for "New York Route 17"?

vtk

Not true. Ohio has quite a menagerie of county route markers.  White squares and blue pentagons are the most popular, of course. Some counties use green squares.  Some attempt to use the shape of the county.  Many just put the county road number in small text under the name on blade signs.  Several put the county road number in normal size text on blade signs, because the road doesn't have any other name.  There's no statewide agreement at all.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: vtk on December 04, 2013, 10:22:00 PM

Not true. Ohio has quite a menagerie of county route markers.  White squares and blue pentagons are the most popular, of course. Some counties use green squares.  Some attempt to use the shape of the county.  Many just put the county road number in small text under the name on blade signs.  Several put the county road number in normal size text on blade signs, because the road doesn't have any other name.  There's no statewide agreement at all.
I've even seen multiple styles within the same county, and the signs look equally new.

roadfro

Quote from: Henry on December 04, 2013, 03:26:37 PM

I-15 and CA 15
I-110 and CA 110
I-210 and CA 210

I don't think these are commonly confused...the CA routes are essentially extensions of the Interstate using the same highway number, all envisioned as one contiguous highway (with contiguous exit numbering). 15 & 210 are eventually to be adopted into the Interstate system.

The Las Vegas Beltway with I-215 & CR 215 is equivalent. It is simply referred to as "the 215" and is understood to be one complete route.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

doorknob60

Quote from: Henry on December 04, 2013, 03:26:37 PM

I-15 and CA 15
I-110 and CA 110
I-210 and CA 210

True, but 99% of people don't need to know the difference. They're all part of one corridor, so when you say "the 210", it doesn't make a difference if you're referring to I-210 or CA-210. They numbered them that way to reduce confusion.

EDIT: Oh, roadfro beat me to the punch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.