News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 05, 2020, 09:46:27 PM
Friendly reminder: don't ever talk to cops.

Almost all of them I know aren't fans of enforcing quarantine rules and the prospect of potentially having. 

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2020, 09:53:34 PM

Almost all of them I know aren't fans of enforcing quarantine rules and the prospect of potentially having.
A big problem of all these restrictions. Not very clear legal standing; cops unwilling to interact with people - and potentially get infected, or infecting others; and overall question of what is really ok and what is not.
From my perspective, these orders are more an appeal to common sense and social responsibility, but too often it falls on deaf ears.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on April 05, 2020, 10:58:11 PM

A big problem of all these restrictions. Not very clear legal standing; cops unwilling to interact with people - and potentially get infected, or infecting others; and overall question of what is really ok and what is not.
From my perspective, these orders are more an appeal to common sense and social responsibility, but too often it falls on deaf ears.

Agreed. If you see a cop out there on a roadway stopping an out-of-stater, they're probably not doing it voluntary.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on April 05, 2020, 08:16:10 PM
Quote from: kalvado on April 05, 2020, 07:26:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2020, 11:54:50 AM
Airports in Mexico were doing checks back in February before things got all nutty here in the Americas.  The airport was the only place I heard anything about the Coronavirus during the trip aside from some beer jokes.  I would be curious to hear what flying domestically is like at the moment, I'd have to imagine that the FAA has mandated some sort of screening procedure.
Just asked a friend who travels for a living, even now.
No fever checks for domestic travel, only when arriving from a foreign destination.

Is Louisiana a foreign destination? ;)
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Travel-from-Louisiana-further-tightened-by-new-15180553.php

I point this out for other reasons normally, but it holds true here as well. Our states are generally larger than most other countries. Comparing to Europe, the single state of Texas would be larger than nearly every country on that continent. Even Louisiana is larger than many of Europe's countries.

So, is Lousiana a foreign destination? By the US's standards, no. But if we were to look at is from a European viewpoint, then yes.  This may be one of the reasons why some  European countries have contained the spread better than others.

RobbieL2415

My approach is always to let them figure it out.  You tell me what to do and I'll do it, but I don't have to talk to you.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 05, 2020, 11:19:53 PM

My approach is always to let them figure it out.  You tell me what to do and I'll do it, but I don't have to talk to you.

That approach never worked for anyone at a Border Patrol Checkpoint.  Lots of stupid people got defensive in Arizona and New Mexico who otherwise would have been fine had they just said they were a U.S. Citizen.  Beyond identifying yourself you have more of a reasonable stance of having nothing to say.  I would imagine a lot of people would end up being turned around at checkpoints in places like Florida if they refused to answer questions.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2020, 12:03:18 AM

That approach never worked for anyone at a Border Patrol Checkpoint.  Lots of stupid people got defensive in Arizona and New Mexico who otherwise would have been fine had they just said they were a U.S. Citizen.  Beyond identifying yourself you have more of a reasonable stance of having nothing to say.  I would imagine a lot of people would end up being turned around at checkpoints in places like Florida if they refused to answer questions.
Even at an inland checkpoint though you can refuse to answer questions.  They might detain you longer but you cannot be arrested for not answering.

I don't think it's constitutional to deny someone entry to a state.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 06, 2020, 12:47:32 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2020, 12:03:18 AM

Even at an inland checkpoint though you can refuse to answer questions.  They might detain you longer but you cannot be arrested for not answering.

I don't think it's constitutional to deny someone entry to a state.

If I recall correctly I don't think there has been anything where "technically"  there isn't a refusal of entry.  In Florida as an example some out of staters had to self quarantine for 14 days. 

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on April 05, 2020, 09:49:53 PM
Telecommuting will likely be a big cause a change in population distribution.  Right now, everyone is moving to large cities, whether they can afford to or not, because that's where the jobs are, and the jobs are there because companies like concentrating a ton of workers from their industry in one place to maximize the pool of people to hire from.  If more people start working from home, the need to do that is reduced.  As such, I would think that people who moved to the area because they like being in a large metro area would stay, but I could see the people who would prefer somewhere smaller/more affordable to move out if given the option to work from home.

This would likely have a side effect of making housing more affordable everywhere it currently isn't, since cities would no longer be able to rely on their employer base to attract residents, and property owners couldn't just raise rents as high as they want since people could just leave without having to look for a new job in a place with fewer employers.

It would also breathe new life into small towns that have been withering on the vine due to lack of jobs, like West Virginia coal country. All you need is a reliable Internet connection...which may be something a lot of those places lack. Hope they can get ahead of the curve on that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 06, 2020, 03:47:49 AM
Telecommuting will likely be a big cause a change in population distribution.  Right now, everyone is moving to large cities, whether they can afford to or not, because that's where the jobs are, and the jobs are there because companies like concentrating a ton of workers from their industry in one place to maximize the pool of people to hire from.  If more people start working from home, the need to do that is reduced.  As such, I would think that people who moved to the area because they like being in a large metro area would stay, but I could see the people who would prefer somewhere smaller/more affordable to move out if given the option to work from home.

This would likely have a side effect of making housing more affordable everywhere it currently isn't, since cities would no longer be able to rely on their employer base to attract residents, and property owners couldn't just raise rents as high as they want since people could just leave without having to look for a new job in a place with fewer employers.

It would also breathe new life into small towns that have been withering on the vine due to lack of jobs, like West Virginia coal country. All you need is a reliable Internet connection...which may be something a lot of those places lack. Hope they can get ahead of the curve on that.

The reliable high-speed Internet connection is the big issue in some rural areas.

The notion of relocating to a state with no state income tax has sometimes crossed my mind since I telecommute and my boss recently noted that we could pretty much live anywhere in the USA we want (although for practical reasons, the Eastern time zone is the most logical to be on the same time as the actual office). I don't think I'll be moving any time soon, though. Among other reasons, it would feel kind of like abandoning my mom in Northern Virginia less than a year after we lost my dad. It just wouldn't feel right to leave her here alone.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ixnay

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Now I'll never be able to convince my wife that we need a pet tiger.

US 89

Quote from: LM117 on April 06, 2020, 06:29:35 AM
A tiger at the Bronx Zoo tested positive...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tiger-nycs-bronx-zoo-tests-205150772.html

Now I know why we're having a nationwide test shortage. New York is stealing them all to test zoo animals.

LM117

Quote from: US 89 on April 06, 2020, 10:52:07 AM

Now I know why we're having a nationwide test shortage. New York is stealing them all to test zoo animals.

It's the only logical explanation.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

MikieTimT

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 06, 2020, 07:49:34 AM

The reliable high-speed Internet connection is the big issue in some rural areas.

The notion of relocating to a state with no state income tax has sometimes crossed my mind since I telecommute and my boss recently noted that we could pretty much live anywhere in the USA we want (although for practical reasons, the Eastern time zone is the most logical to be on the same time as the actual office). I don't think I'll be moving any time soon, though. Among other reasons, it would feel kind of like abandoning my mom in Northern Virginia less than a year after we lost my dad. It just wouldn't feel right to leave her here alone.

It's going to be a very different conversation in a couple of years as the Internet is just like electricity was about a 100 years ago.  Rural areas left behind because of a lack of profitability due to longer stretches of wire between customers.  The electric cooperatives were born of that era and now they are starting to string fiber on the poles they already own, at least in Arkansas.  I live in the woods west of Fayetteville, and have 1000Mbit up and down Internet, whereas people who live in the cities of Northwest Arkansas that had better Internet access and "competition" now have inferior options as our electric cooperative implemented fiber Internet in conjunction with their smart meter and pole replacement project.  Rural areas are about to be on an equal or even better footing than urban areas before too long.

webny99

No, New York just knows how to ramp up testing quickly, and they have done so to an extent that they have extra tests available for zoo animals. That's an other state problem, not a NY problem.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on April 06, 2020, 04:19:50 PM

No, New York just knows how to ramp up testing quickly, and they have done so to an extent that they have extra tests available for zoo animals. That's an other state problem, not a NY problem.

So does the Tiger get stuck in quarantine for 14 days and have to practice social distancing?  What about a mask if social distancing can't be avoided?

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2020, 04:46:59 PM

So does the Tiger get stuck in quarantine for 14 days and have to practice social distancing?  What about a mask if social distancing can't be avoided?
there are 8 sick tigers, and lack of tests allowed only one to be tested.

UPD:
Nadia, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo, has tested positive for COVID-19. She, her sister Azul, two Amur tigers, and three African lions had developed a dry cough and all are expected to recover.

https://newsroom.wcs.org/News-Releases/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/14010/A-Tiger-at-Bronx-Zoo-Tests-Positive-for-COVID-19-The-Tiger-and-the-Zoos-Other-Cats-Are-Doing-Well-at-This-Time.aspx

formulanone

The tiger can stay with Joe Exotic, he'll be in quarantine for a while.

NWI_Irish96

UK PM Boris Johnson now in Intensive Care. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on April 06, 2020, 05:10:47 PM

The tiger can stay with Joe Exotic, he'll be in quarantine for a while.

My world is a little darker for even knowing who that is.  Normally I would be out and active enough that TV water cooler talk wouldn't get to me.

briantroutman

Right now, everyone is moving to large cities, whether they can afford to or not, because that's where the jobs are, and the jobs are there because companies like concentrating a ton of workers from their industry in one place to maximize the pool of people to hire from...

It would also breathe new life into small towns that have been withering on the vine due to lack of jobs, like West Virginia coal country. All you need is a reliable Internet connection...

You would think so, but everything I've read about the rise of telework over the past 10+ years (of which I am a part) indicates that the opposite has happened–more or less.

I can essentially work from anywhere, and I could easily afford twice as much housing for half of what I'm currently paying if I moved somewhere like Akron or Wheeling. But that's not what I want, so the savings wouldn't be worthwhile to me. Likewise, I work with other people who already telework from Manhattan or the Bay Area or Seattle–not because they have to, but because that's where they prefer to live.

When people work from home in solitude all day, that heightens their desire to get out of the house, and be with people at neighborhood restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, etc. Therefore, they prefer to live in vibrant neighborhoods where those amenities are immediately adjacent. And where are those vibrant neighborhoods? In cities that are already flush with jobs and high wage earners.

The one exception to this has been "poverty with a view"  -type places–cities and towns at beaches, mountain retreats, etc.–where people might otherwise want to live for recreational opportunities or scenic value but decent-paying jobs are hard to find locally. I've encountered a number of such people in Florida, for instance, where my impression is that the local job markets frequently lag their counterparts in other states per-capita because of the number of retirees and the state's reliance on the tourism industry.

I'm sure there are some teleworkers who have relocated to the lowest cost place they could find just to pocket the savings, but everything I've read and observed suggests that they are in a small minority.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.