News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which malls should be demolished?

Started by tolbs17, August 15, 2019, 08:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

The Mall. So we can have a full set of Capitol Streets, with the missing West Capitol Street replacing it :bigass:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 18, 2019, 03:18:33 PM
The Mall. So we can have a full set of Capitol Streets, with the missing West Capitol Street replacing it :bigass:.

That actually happened in Fresno with Fulton Mall being reopened as Fulton Street in recent years.  Some of the signage in the parking garages in downtown still say "Fulton Mall."    The pedestrian plaza mall type over former roadways was in large part a giant disaster in cities out west that ended implementing it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 18, 2019, 03:21:49 PM

That actually happened in Fresno with Fulton Mall being reopened as Fulton Street in recent years.  Some of the signage in the parking garages in downtown still say "Fulton Mall."    The pedestrian plaza mall type over former roadways was in large part a giant disaster in cities out west that ended implementing it.

I'm pretty sure that no other city in the US has DC's style of "mall".
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on August 18, 2019, 04:16:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 18, 2019, 03:21:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that no other city in the US has DC's style of "mall".

Not really, I was trying to steer it back to retail oriented malls that were once through streets. 

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 17, 2019, 10:46:46 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 17, 2019, 09:32:00 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 17, 2019, 08:58:41 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 17, 2019, 06:21:58 PM
Mall of America
And why is that? Because malls are pointless and need to turn them into mixed use development?
Methinks you are missing the joke.

It's also somewhat not a joke. Many natives, myself included, consider the Mall of America highly overrated.

But isn't it mainly intended to be a tourist destination moreso than just a retail establishment?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: hbelkins on August 18, 2019, 08:06:34 PM
Mall of America
And why is that? Because malls are pointless and need to turn them into mixed use development?

It's also somewhat not a joke. Many natives, myself included, consider the Mall of America highly overrated.

But isn't it mainly intended to be a tourist destination moreso than just a retail establishment?
It was a ballpark at one point.

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on August 16, 2019, 05:05:15 PM
Quote from: ET21 on August 16, 2019, 04:29:50 PM
Ford City Mall that borders Chicago and Burbank

Why?  It's got a lot of stores, even if one anchor is empty.

Since when? Granted I haven't seen it in 3 or 4 years but last I checked it was not looking good for the mall. There were many articles and stories about how it was losing tenants and went through many hands to try and redevelop the space
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

PHLBOS

IMHO, the Tri-State Mall in Claymont, DE.  Such has been largely a ghost town for years.  Many of the smaller stores that were once in the mall moved over to an adjacent strip mall.

Lol, GoogleMaps apparently thinks that Claymont is in PA... NOT!
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2019, 01:53:04 PM
IMHO, the Tri-State Mall in Claymont, DE.  Such has been largely a ghost town for years.  Many of the smaller stores that were once in the mall moved over to an adjacent strip mall.

Shhh! If PA Department of Revenue gets wind of that, they'll force merchants in the mall to collect PA sales tax.  Just ask the architects of Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua why the corner of Macy's is irregularly shaped.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 19, 2019, 02:45:29 PM

Shhh! If PA Department of Revenue gets wind of that, they'll force merchants in the mall to collect PA sales tax.  Just ask the architects of Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua why the corner of Macy's is irregularly shaped.
For the moment, I'll assume that you were being sarcastic with your post; but in case you weren't, you're comparing apples & oranges.  The Tri-State Mall & its parking lot is all inside Delaware.

The strip-mall plaza north of it (where Service King Collision & Sid Harvey's are located) OTOH has a portion of its parking lot in PA (Lower Chichester Township, Delaware County).  PA could (not sure if such is already being done) tax the owner of that plaza for that piece of parking lot.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

ctusal

It's the JCPenney, not the Macy's: https://goo.gl/maps/xnmxcVofatjVEzQC7
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Flint1979

It's actually JCPenney. But yup that would be the reason. If that wasn't like that it would force the entire mall to have to collect Massachusetts sales taxes.

mgk920

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 19, 2019, 06:59:01 PM

It's actually JCPenney. But yup that would be the reason. If that wasn't like that it would force the entire mall to have to collect Massachusetts sales taxes.

Does that little patio area on the Buffalo Wild Wings extend over the state line and if so, is that considered to not be a part of its main building?

Also the Sears store just to the east comes right up to the state line, but does not cross it.

Mike

jp the roadgeek

I'm surprised the BWW  chose to open in the mall rather than down the street in MA.  NH has a restaurant and hotel tax of 9%, while MA has the general sales tax rate of 6.25%.  It explains why all the retail establishments around there are on the NH side of the border (no sales tax), while most of the restaurants are in MA.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cjk374

Pecanland Mall in Monroe, LA. Why you ask?

1. The mall isn't dead yet. In fact, there are many businesses that have opened around it and they too are doing quite well. But at night, the mall becomes "ghetto".

2. Monroe's tax rate is at or very near 10%! I deem this as absolutely rediculous!

3. The mall is nearing 40 years old. For its age, it isn't "ugly"...but it's an eyesore to probably just me because....

4. A large grove of pecan trees was lost building this mall (hence the name "Pecanland"). There are still many pecan trees still standing around it, but I hate losing "country land" for the ever encroaching "cityscape".
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ftballfan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 20, 2019, 12:28:12 AM
I'm surprised the BWW  chose to open in the mall rather than down the street in MA.  NH has a restaurant and hotel tax of 9%, while MA has the general sales tax rate of 6.25%.  It explains why all the retail establishments around there are on the NH side of the border (no sales tax), while most of the restaurants are in MA.

NH might have less restrictive blue laws than MA

dvferyance

Tanglewood Mall Roanoke VA. Roanoke is too small to support 2 malls. Everyone goes to Valley View. I can't believe Lafayette Square in Indianapolis is still open. The last few years I have driven by on I-65 the place looks so dead you would think it's already closed. Richmond Town Square in suburban Cleveland is another one that comes to mind. No anchor stores basically dead everyone in the area goes to Beachwood. Closer to home I would say Forest Mall in Fond Du Lac is done.

webny99

Mall of America

I'm not even a local, and I agree that it's overrated. Besides the amusement park, it's basically just like any other mall with more people and more stores. Flyover America is cool to do at least once, but other than that, there's nothing particularly amazing at MOA that can't be found elsewhere.

tolbs17

Golden East Crossing would also be ideal to demolish and rebuild. There's nothing there, really.

tchafe1978

Kennedy Mall in Dubuque, IA. It's probably at only 50% capacity. There is nothing left in the food court. Two of the original 3 anchors, Sears, and Younkers, are closed, and JC Penney is on life support. The former Sears is still empty, and the former Younkers has been turned into a Vertical Jump trampoline bouncy house arcade type place. Half the people in the mall at ay one time seem to just be mall walkers, and you better not get in their way! Gets more depressing each time we're in there and we see another store has closed.

amroad17

Eventually, all but maybe 10-15% of the malls we have now will be demolished.  Many consumers like the "town center", open air concept.  Plus, I believe leases aren't as high at a town center verses an enclosed mall, however, don't quote me.  I would have to do some research to find this out.

Also, with the proliferation of online shopping, both enclosed mall owners and town center owners will be facing more competition and will be dealing with less traffic in their stores.  While quickly reading some articles on leases and concepts, I read one particular article on how malls are "evolving" by having different types of businesses in them instead of just shops.  We will have to see. 

What could happen is that there could be one dominant "mall" in an area (see Syracuse, NY) that ends up closing 2-5 other malls in the area.  The other malls are either going to just close (and sit there for Dead Mall fans to go through and document) then be demolished with either a town center or business park put up in its place.  This has been happening regularly since the 1990's.

There are so many different variables that can end a mall's run: poor management, high leases, a change in demographics in the area, anchor stores going bankrupt (everybody's favorite whipping business--Montgomery Ward included here; the "death knell" of a mall), a change in shopping tastes, and online shopping.  Some malls have survived, more malls have not.   Some of these lots that malls were on have now become nice looking town centers (Tower Mall in Portsmouth, VA now Tower Place; Crestview Hills Mall in Crestview Hills, KY now Crestview Towne Center).  Others are business parks, a car dealership (Penn-Can), empty lots, dying, or still looming like the crazy uncle no one wants to see, but can't help it anyway.

When malls were first built in the 1960's and 1970's, it fit a niche at that time.  It was a way for suburban people to go shopping without having to go "downtown".  But, just like a majority of things in life, people's tastes, people's income, and the technology available for people change.  In this case, it has led to dying and dead malls.

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

thenetwork

Quote from: dvferyance on August 21, 2019, 06:01:57 PM
Richmond Town Square in suburban Cleveland is another one that comes to mind. No anchor stores basically dead everyone in the area goes to Beachwood.

Richmond earned an extra few years of life after Euclid Square died.  But when Sears and Penney pulled out, that was the mall's last gasp.

mgk920

Quote from: amroad17 on August 31, 2019, 10:41:04 PM
Eventually, all but maybe 10-15% of the malls we have now will be demolished.  Many consumers like the "town center", open air concept.  Plus, I believe leases aren't as high at a town center verses an enclosed mall, however, don't quote me.  I would have to do some research to find this out.

Also, with the proliferation of online shopping, both enclosed mall owners and town center owners will be facing more competition and will be dealing with less traffic in their stores.  While quickly reading some articles on leases and concepts, I read one particular article on how malls are "evolving" by having different types of businesses in them instead of just shops.  We will have to see. 

What could happen is that there could be one dominant "mall" in an area (see Syracuse, NY) that ends up closing 2-5 other malls in the area.  The other malls are either going to just close (and sit there for Dead Mall fans to go through and document) then be demolished with either a town center or business park put up in its place.  This has been happening regularly since the 1990's.

There are so many different variables that can end a mall's run: poor management, high leases, a change in demographics in the area, anchor stores going bankrupt (everybody's favorite whipping business--Montgomery Ward included here; the "death knell" of a mall), a change in shopping tastes, and online shopping.  Some malls have survived, more malls have not.   Some of these lots that malls were on have now become nice looking town centers (Tower Mall in Portsmouth, VA now Tower Place; Crestview Hills Mall in Crestview Hills, KY now Crestview Towne Center).  Others are business parks, a car dealership (Penn-Can), empty lots, dying, or still looming like the crazy uncle no one wants to see, but can't help it anyway.

When malls were first built in the 1960's and 1970's, it fit a niche at that time.  It was a way for suburban people to go shopping without having to go "downtown".  But, just like a majority of things in life, people's tastes, people's income, and the technology available for people change.  In this case, it has led to dying and dead malls.

Biggest, though, IMHO, is that today's younger crowd is not into hanging out at the mall like they were a couple of generations ago.  Many malls have been actively discouraging that kind of activity in more recent years, too.  It's not the 1980s any more.

Oh well....

Mike

ET21

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 31, 2019, 09:23:59 PM
Kennedy Mall in Dubuque, IA. It's probably at only 50% capacity. There is nothing left in the food court. Two of the original 3 anchors, Sears, and Younkers, are closed, and JC Penney is on life support. The former Sears is still empty, and the former Younkers has been turned into a Vertical Jump trampoline bouncy house arcade type place. Half the people in the mall at ay one time seem to just be mall walkers, and you better not get in their way! Gets more depressing each time we're in there and we see another store has closed.

Yeah it's so different compared to 10 years ago. Not looking good
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Flint1979

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 31, 2019, 09:23:59 PM
Sounds simular to Courtland Center in Burton, MI. Just a JCP for an anchor. I guess if you count Dunham's Sporting Goods as an anchor then they have two. I would say that the inside of the mall is about 75% vacant and the only people there seem to be mall walkers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.