News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NM 2001

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 13, 2018, 03:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Back in 2012 I visited the New Mexico Museum of Space History via NM 2001.  At the time it didn't really occur to me how odd NM 2001 really was.  What I can confirm was that at least one NM 2001 shield was still present back when I visited. 

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/09/new-mexico-state-route-2001-and-new.html

NM 2001 is a strange route indeed. I dug up the latest (at the time) NMDOT State Highway Log from their website in 2015. There was no mention of NM 2001 anywhere. It might be a similar deal to Nevada's SR 8A, now only existing in "de facto" with the signs still up, but no longer recognized as a state highway. Ive also pondered the mystery of NM 99, which so far has only popped up on Steve's website.

VS988

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 707 on September 21, 2018, 04:07:09 PM
NM 2001 is a strange route indeed. I dug up the latest (at the time) NMDOT State Highway Log from their website in 2015. There was no mention of NM 2001 anywhere. It might be a similar deal to Nevada's SR 8A, now only existing in "de facto" with the signs still up, but no longer recognized as a state highway. Ive also pondered the mystery of NM 99, which so far has only popped up on Steve's website.

VS988

NM 99 is pretty much the all time western highway enigma...its almost like the Yeti, you see it but just out of the corner of your eye and blurred. 

Regarding NM 2001, its been a LONG time since 2012 since I've been to Alamogordo.  Chances are I won't be back any time soon, we'll likely need another poster to make the effort to swing by to see if shields are present if they happen to be on US 70 for some reason.

J N Winkler

I am pretty sure NM 2001 was originally supposed to receive a three-digit number starting with 2 (for then NMSHTD District 2) in the 1988 renumbering.  The number actually posted is a pretty obvious reference to 2001:  A Space Odyssey, which is fitting given that the highway is the access road to the Alamogordo space museum.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 22, 2018, 10:45:05 AM
I am pretty sure NM 2001 was originally supposed to receive a three-digit number starting with 2 (for then NMSHTD District 2) in the 1988 renumbering.  The number actually posted is a pretty obvious reference to 2001:  A Space Odyssey, which is fitting given that the highway is the access road to the Alamogordo space museum.

If you look at Steve Riner's site there is actually a pic of the 2001 shield that's on the drive up to the Space Museum.  Back in 2012 that shield was definitely still there and I believe it popped up on the most recent GSV image.  If I recall correctly there is another four digit state highway in the Sacramento Range that has some sort of convention with the telescope facility it served. 

oscar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 22, 2018, 12:08:11 PM
If I recall correctly there is another four digit state highway in the Sacramento Range that has some sort of convention with the telescope facility it served. 

That would be NM 6563 (wavelength of hydrogen light emissions), to the solar observatory atop Sacramento Peak. That highway is in the official state route log.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on September 22, 2018, 12:31:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 22, 2018, 12:08:11 PM
If I recall correctly there is another four digit state highway in the Sacramento Range that has some sort of convention with the telescope facility it served. 

That would be NM 6563 (wavelength of hydrogen light emissions), to the solar observatory atop Sacramento Peak. That highway is in the official state route log.

That's the one.  Used to have a picture of the shield but it seems it was a casualty of a 2013 hard drive failure. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.