News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Lakes Roads

HemiCRZ

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 16, 2020, 01:06:41 PM
https://www.wmar2news.com/news/national/hurricane-sally-leaves-section-of-three-mile-bridge-missing-in-pensacola

Well... that means another year or two of construction on this bridge...

I cannot believe that any contractor in their right mind left equipment out in the water with a hurricane approaching. Maybe this is standard practice in Florida, but I know in Mississippi, MDOT will order all equipment removed from any project site and any lane closures are to be suspended when a hurricane approaches.

Seems to me letting a barge destroy this bridge is negligence.
Interstate Highways that I've Driven On:
I-5, I-8, I-10, I-20, I-24, I-40, I-55, I-59, I-264, I-65, I-70, I-270, I-71, I-75, I-79, I-376, I-80, I-580, I-680, I-93, I-293

DeaconG

Quote from: HemiCRZ on September 16, 2020, 01:36:43 PM
https://www.wmar2news.com/news/national/hurricane-sally-leaves-section-of-three-mile-bridge-missing-in-pensacola

I cannot believe that any contractor in their right mind left equipment out in the water with a hurricane approaching. Maybe this is standard practice in Florida, but I know in Mississippi, MDOT will order all equipment removed from any project site and any lane closures are to be suspended when a hurricane approaches.

Seems to me letting a barge destroy this bridge is negligence.

I saw that and had flashbacks of Jeanne is 2004 when the westbound bridge on the Beachline over the Banana River was wrecked because of a barge left there by the owner. Oh yeah...that owner paid BIG TIME.

Hell, I've seen abandoned boats washed up at the Pineda Causeway get left there for MONTHS. It's Florida.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

I saw some of that footage today, and I thought, "Oh, Christ! Don't tell me I-10 got wrecked again!" I didn't know what bridge, or bridges were wrecked from this.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: HTM Duke on September 15, 2020, 10:55:30 PM
^
I can confirm that the bypass is now open, with some late stage construction work still ongoing at the southern tie-in to 301.  I got stopped at the train crossing on 90 west, and it was traffic on 90 alone providing the backup, as I saw maybe 2-3 cars come down 301 south.  This led me to wonder if the bypass was open, so I took a quick detour down 301 south, then picked up the bypass north back to 90.

An idea for FDOT: with the bypass now open, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to provide signage showing an alternate route for traffic on 90 when a train is passing through.  (i.e., 90 west: right at 301 north, left at 301 bypass south, right at 90 west; and vice-versa.)  Also would need a way to ensure the intersection of 90 and 301 remains clear to let traffic through.

Just out of curiosity, did FDOT put up any FL-201 shields with the US-301 Bypass shields?

HTM Duke

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 19, 2020, 12:29:31 AM
Quote from: HTM Duke on September 15, 2020, 10:55:30 PM
^
I can confirm that the bypass is now open, with some late stage construction work still ongoing at the southern tie-in to 301.  I got stopped at the train crossing on 90 west, and it was traffic on 90 alone providing the backup, as I saw maybe 2-3 cars come down 301 south.  This led me to wonder if the bypass was open, so I took a quick detour down 301 south, then picked up the bypass north back to 90.

An idea for FDOT: with the bypass now open, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to provide signage showing an alternate route for traffic on 90 when a train is passing through.  (i.e., 90 west: right at 301 north, left at 301 bypass south, right at 90 west; and vice-versa.)  Also would need a way to ensure the intersection of 90 and 301 remains clear to let traffic through.

Just out of curiosity, did FDOT put up any FL-201 shields with the US-301 Bypass shields?

No, I did not see any.

And if anyone's interested, some signage has been installed for the Gateway Expwy project in Pinellas County.  First is on FL-688 east approaching the future FL-686A interchange; the second on CR-611 south approaching the FL-686 interchange; lastly, new signage has been erected along FL-686 west approaching CR-611, over the future westbound lanes.  Also, it appears the abutments and piers have been built for the future flyover of CR-611, but I think any further work will happen once the FL-688 overpass is finished.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

jeffandnicole

Not sure if it's been mentioned here (or elsewhere), but the wonderful Starke Alt 301 bypass now features a 70 mph limit!

Rushmeister

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 16, 2020, 03:36:17 PM
Is there a modern version of this sign?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Photograph_of_a_road_sign_along_the_highway_in_Key_West,_Florida,_announcing_the_beginning_of_U.S._Route_1_to_Fort..._-_NARA_-_200542.jpg

What a great photo!  If I'm correct about the location of this photo, there is no modern version of that sign.  I believe the picture was taken very near 3500 N Roosevelt Blvd.  By the 1970s, the area south of the road had been completely filled in and well-developed with homes and businesses.  (I stayed in a hotel about a mile from there a year ago.  Wish I was there right now.)   
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

Stephane Dumas

I saw that video posted on Sept. 25 about the Selmon Expressway extension over Gandy Blvd along with some recents photos.
https://selmonextension.com/photos/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43a31olSdtY

roadman65

Quote from: Rushmeister on October 09, 2020, 10:24:12 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 16, 2020, 03:36:17 PM
Is there a modern version of this sign?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Photograph_of_a_road_sign_along_the_highway_in_Key_West,_Florida,_announcing_the_beginning_of_U.S._Route_1_to_Fort..._-_NARA_-_200542.jpg

What a great photo!  If I'm correct about the location of this photo, there is no modern version of that sign.  I believe the picture was taken very near 3500 N Roosevelt Blvd.  By the 1970s, the area south of the road had been completely filled in and well-developed with homes and businesses.  (I stayed in a hotel about a mile from there a year ago.  Wish I was there right now.)   

Now the salt pond is filled in with businesses to the right. My photo of its 1990 version has a car dealer to the right of it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Plutonic Panda

I've mentioned it before but I'll say it again, damn florida has tons and tons of Troopers along I-10 in the panhandle. I think this stretch of interstate has to be the heaviest patrolled I've ever experienced though I haven't really been north east or north west at all. But I've traveled I-10 in NW florida about 5 times now and each time I spot dozens of police driving, hiding out, or conducting a traffic stop. Is there a high rate of crashes here?

formulanone

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 20, 2020, 01:22:12 AM
I’ve mentioned it before but I’ll say it again, damn florida has tons and tons of Troopers along I-10 in the panhandle. I think this stretch of interstate has to be the heaviest patrolled I’ve ever experienced though I haven’t really been north east or north west at all. But I’ve traveled I-10 in NW florida about 5 times now and each time I spot dozens of police driving, hiding out, or conducting a traffic stop. Is there a high rate of crashes here?

Florida Highway Patrol and county Sheriffs just like to fleece speeders, find drunk drivers, and check truckers. Expect one speed trap every 30-45 minutes, or anywhere there might be construction.

(Psst...they can't write anything but a warning for 5 or less over the limit, unless it's a work or school zone.)

I think the only other place else with a high rate of patrolmen is the Indiana Toll Road.

Plutonic Panda

The thing I don't notice them so much on I-4, I-75 or I-95. Granted I've been as far south as I-4 connects to I-95 and I-75. In fact, rarely so I see them on I-4 at all but again I've only been in florida 5 times. Just bizarre to me how many I see on I-10 west of Jax. I mean I see more police on that stretch than I'll see on the entire rest of the trip from OKC to florida state line alone.

Brian556

I've mentioned it before but I'll say it again, damn florida has tons and tons of Troopers along I-10 in the panhandle. I think this stretch of interstate has to be the heaviest patrolled I've ever experienced though I haven't really been north east or north west at all. But I've traveled I-10 in NW florida about 5 times now and each time I spot dozens of police driving, hiding out, or conducting a traffic stop. Is there a high rate of crashes here?

Anytime I've driven through there, there were no cops to be seen. And everyone knew it , and was driving 90 MPH

bdmoss88

D-Dey65

While I was scanning through US BUS 1 in St. Augustine, I saw this interesting sign arrangement at the north end of the overlap with FL A1A.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9095502,-81.3204352,3a,75y,257.22h,90.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPnX_KtvyTCceM0JWmxGGgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I also saw an aerial shot of some construction there. Am I to believe this sign arrangement won't exist there anymore once the project is completed?

Edited for apostrophe.

CoreySamson

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 21, 2020, 05:08:33 PM
While I was scanning through US BUS 1 in St. Augustine, I saw this interesting sign arrangement at the north end of the overlap with FL A1A.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9095502,-81.3204352,3a,75y,257.22h,90.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPnX_KtvyTCceM0JWmxGGgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I also saw an aerial shot of some construction there. Am I to believe this sign arrangement won't exist there anymore once the project is completed?

Edited for apostrophe.

The BCH abbreviation for Beach looks like a cuss word.  :-D
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

UCFKnights

Quote from: formulanone on October 20, 2020, 05:47:23 AM

Florida Highway Patrol and county Sheriffs just like to fleece speeders, find drunk drivers, and check truckers. Expect one speed trap every 30-45 minutes, or anywhere there might be construction.

(Psst...they can't write anything but a warning for 5 or less over the limit, unless it's a work or school zone.)

I think the only other place else with a high rate of patrolmen is the Indiana Toll Road.
Florida has drastically cut down its speed traps the last couple years as speed traps have been found to be systemically racist. I used to remember cops sitting with laser guns on the side of the road all the time, and now, I honestly can't even remember the last time I've seen that. Now they're usually more in the "BOLO" stance without just staring at the number on a speed detection device and they don't seem to be pulling people over generally for 10 over anymore.... I mean you wiz by much faster then the rest of traffic they'll get you, but if you're 1-2mph faster then everyone else, much officers/departments seem to no longer care anymore. They're a lot more into drunk drivers and truckers now. My understanding is the previous incentive system based on number of tickets has been replaced by one based on number of DUIs

D-Dey65

Okay, there's something I have to bring up. On I-4 there was a sign approaching the eastbound Seminole County rest area telling motorists that it was the last rest area on I-4.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:EB_I-4;_Last_Rest_Area.jpg

But on my recent excursion into the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and Polk County, I found another sign like that approaching the eastbound Polk County rest area. Does that mean the eastbound Seminole County one will be closed permanently, or is this just a temporary measure while they rebuild the Seminole County one?

kevinb1994

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2020, 06:11:50 AM
Okay, there's something I have to bring up. On I-4 there was a sign approaching the eastbound Seminole County rest area telling motorists that it was the last rest area on I-4.

But on my recent excursion into the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and Polk County, I found another sign like that approaching the eastbound Polk County rest area. Does that mean the eastbound Seminole County one will be closed permanently, or is this just a temporary measure while they rebuild the Seminole County one?
AFAIK, it was supposed to be closed to motorists (that is, cars and trailers, not trucks, for whom the facility will be converted into a parking area/facility) at the beginning of this year. From what I understand, people who live in the surrounding area had been calling on FDOT to close the facility since at least three years ago.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 16, 2020, 06:58:00 AM

AFAIK, it was supposed to be closed to motorists (that is, cars and trailers, not trucks, for whom the facility will be converted into a parking area/facility) at the beginning of this year. From what I understand, people who live in the surrounding area had been calling on FDOT to close the facility since at least three years ago.
Well that sucks! So unless you're a trucker, I-4's quaint little pocket is officially dead!
:-(
I suppose they'll tear down the main building and provide no bathrooms just like SCDOT.

kevinb1994

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2020, 06:25:48 PM

Well that sucks! So unless you're a trucker, I-4's quaint little pocket is officially dead!
:(
I suppose they'll tear down the main building and provide no bathrooms just like SCDOT.
I'm afraid so. Shame, because I was surprised to see it close down like that. Oh well...

Wait, so it's been around a decade since SCDOT closed those rest areas? I hadn't known that prior to a Google search.

roadman65

:-(

Hey NJ did the same on I-80 and the only Rest Area on I-287. They said FU to cars  but Trucks are okay to have a parking facility for.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on December 17, 2020, 12:17:32 AM

:(

Hey NJ did the same on I-80 and the only Rest Area on I-287. They said FU to cars  but Trucks are okay to have a parking facility for.
I recall that happening on I-287, as that was how we'd visit in-laws out-of-state growing up. I-80 we rarely use, though my dad would've said something about hanging out on it while it was under construction.

I also recall that happening on I-295, as that was how I went to school at a certain point in my childhood.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.