News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

I didn't know exactly where to put it and it sure is different...

bulkyorled

It looks way too large for what it has on it. The side with CA 1 on it needs to be smaller (not so much blank space) and the exit number tab looks huge.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

WillWeaverRVA

Yeah, I'd classify that as a "worst of" and not an error, but it looks pretty bad. That's not what a gore point sign should look like (just the "EXIT 414B" and maybe a CA 156 shield).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

myosh_tino

That CA-1/CA-156 sign is a carbon-copy of what used to be there.  The original sign had the same layout minus the exit "tab".  Beyond this exit, CA-1 narrows back down into a 2-lane conventional highway.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

D-Dey65

Quote from: corco on May 19, 2012, 10:53:18 PM
At the US-191 North/AZ-264 west roundabout northwest of Ganado

I remember Suffolk County Department of Public Works had signs on Nicolls Road where they reversed the colors on the NY 25 shields in their MGS's.

This was before the SPUI interchange, BTW.

agentsteel53

there are several in Citronella, AL, for no explicable reason

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

that 1/156 is a unisign take on an old Cal Division of Highways standard.

this is not gore point signage, but if it were gore point, it would look exactly like this.

there is a gore point split gantry like this one at the 5/99 split in Wheeler Ridge, but I do not have the photo offhand.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Florida still does it, even though it's not US 98.

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/7275882520/in/photostream

Here is one on FL 408, for the EB exit for FL 436 (as seen from nearby Lake Underhill Drive in Orlando, FL) that shows Andes Avenue leading to both FL 436 and Semoran Boulevard.   The actual ramp leads you to Lake Underhill Drive, that is a frontage road that connects to both Andes Avenue and FL 436/ Semoran Boulevard. 

Maybe the "TO" should be above both named roads and it would work, or replace Andes with Lake Underhill.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CentralCAroadgeek

This sign is supposed to say "Mather Field Rd," but omits the "Rd."

national highway 1

I'm not sure about the placing of the arrow, and I think the 'EXIT ONLY' shoukl be the below the legend. Maybe the legend doesn't need to be left-aligned...
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

vdeane

That's just typical CalTrans cramming.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

myosh_tino

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 27, 2012, 12:46:12 AM
Not sure if this qualifies as a true error because it's a carbon copy.  Here's the original sign from the AARoads Gallery...

Also note the new sign makes use of the existing sign structure to save money hence the odd layout.  With that said, I think "Mather Field" would have fit on the top line with the "EXIT ONLY" and arrow below.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

architect77

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 27, 2012, 11:26:37 AM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 27, 2012, 12:46:12 AM
Not sure if this qualifies as a true error because it's a carbon copy.  Here's the original sign from the AARoads Gallery...

Also note the new sign makes use of the existing sign structure to save money hence the odd layout.  With that said, I think "Mather Field" would have fit on the top line with the "EXIT ONLY" and arrow below.
Maybe there is an actual field. Do exit signs have to indicate the road or can it be an attraction or destination instead?

Scott5114

Well, yeah, you can have just a destination on there. Kansas does this several times on I-35 ("Andover", "Cattle Pens", "Homewood", etc.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Just did the required Google Fu.  Looks like there is in fact a Mather Field that Mather Field Road goes to.

But what's baffling to me is that eastbound the exit is signed as Mather Field Road, whereas the signs above are from the westbound side.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 27, 2012, 10:49:41 PM
Just did the required Google Fu.  Looks like there is in fact a Mather Field that Mather Field Road goes to.

But what's baffling to me is that eastbound the exit is signed as Mather Field Road, whereas the signs above are from the westbound side.
I noticed that too. I suspect that because the exit ramp was widened to two lanes (an exit-only and an option lane), the existing sign structure was too small to accommodate the additional arrow and EXIT ONLY plaque so the contractor replaced the sign structure with one that can hold a larger guide sign.

Central Avenue

It's hard to tell from this photo, but for some reason this sign is the fluorescent yellow-green intended for pedstrian signs, instead of just straight yellow.

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Ian

Quote from: Central Avenue on May 27, 2012, 11:17:27 PM
It's hard to tell from this photo, but for some reason this sign is the fluorescent yellow-green intended for pedstrian signs, instead of just straight yellow.

Not only that, but it's posted on the wrong side of the road!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

architect77

I hate that ugly fluorescent green btw.

vtk

A lot of municipalities seem to overuse FYG, perhaps to call "extra" attention to the hazard or condition or regulation.  They probably put "extra" effort into traffic enforcement, too.  They think it makes their town "extra" safe.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

Speaking of, it appears that in a lot of places, the yellow used for warning signs is brighter than it used to be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

^ In addition to the FYG color required for school and optional for other pedestrian-related signs, there is an allowable "fluorescent yellow" color that can be used on standard warning signs (which is definitely brighter than what we're used to).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Central Avenue

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 27, 2012, 11:55:48 PM

Haha, you're right! I knew something else seemed "off" about it...
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

HighwayMaster

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 27, 2012, 11:55:48 PM

North Canton has several NO PASSING ZONE signs posted the wrong way too. They're not FYG, though. I know there's two: one on Easthill and one on Schneider.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.