News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Skype and Discord

Started by tolbs17, March 18, 2021, 05:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

I use those for gaming, and they are pretty fun. Do those platforms suck these days? This is a question cause gaming has fallen over last year. Many say discord is better for gaming and they usually have different sections where you can chat in. Skype has only one group that you can chat in, and all the stuff (such as photos) will have to be accessed in there.

if you guys use any. fell free to add me

discord: Tolbs#2947

JoePCool14

AFAIK, Skype has been effectively dead for several years, at least when it comes to gaming. The last time I used Skype was probably about five or six years ago now.

Discord is still very relevant, although I don't use it super often right now. I prefer using forums like this one where I can actually keep track of what's going on as opposed to chatrooms.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

tolbs17

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 18, 2021, 06:55:02 PM
AFAIK, Skype has been effectively dead for several years, at least when it comes to gaming. The last time I used Skype was probably about five or six years ago now.

Discord is still very relevant, although I don't use it super often right now. I prefer using forums like this one where I can actually keep track of what's going on as opposed to chatrooms.
flash games have died.

SkyPesos

I never used skype before, and from what it seems, it's pretty much dead as I've seen no one use it as a video chat program during covid (it's mostly zoom, google meet, discord and microsoft teams),

I have a discord, and am pretty active on it.

ozarkman417

I ditched Skype the moment my friend group at school discovered discord. I cannot count the times I couldn't join the Skype chat due to errors that were not present in discord.

An unofficial AAROADS discord exists, but has *never* been used since it was created in 2017.

SM-G965U

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 18, 2021, 07:01:53 PM
I never used skype before, and from what it seems, it's pretty much dead as I've seen no one use it as a video chat program during covid (it's mostly zoom, google meet, discord and microsoft teams),

I have a discord, and am pretty active on it.
my discord is Tolbs#2947 I use it sometimes but not all the time.

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 18, 2021, 07:35:14 PM
I ditched Skype the moment my friend group at school discovered discord. I cannot count the times I couldn't join the Skype chat due to errors that were not present in discord.

An unofficial AAROADS discord exists, but has *never* been used since it was created in 2017.

SM-G965U

Add me to the chat if you can. I wanna check it out

ozarkman417

SM-G965U

Add me to the chat if you can. I wanna check it out
[/quote]
I can't. I recently left most of the discord servers I was in, including that one. Why? There is nothing to see there. Also, sending a message there for the first time in four years isn't a good idea.

ET21

Discord is def more relevant than Skype these days. I would have imagined Skype would have gotten a boost with working from home and virtual calls but it seems like they were left in the dust behind all the other video call programs
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

stormwatch7721

I use discord now. My user is stormwatch7721#5052

Takumi

I don't use Discord. I'm very surprised Skype didn't take advantage of the pandemic.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

tolbs17

Quote from: Takumi on March 19, 2021, 11:05:17 PM
I don't use Discord. I'm very surprised Skype didn't take advantage of the pandemic.
in summer 2020 it was very active.

Scott5114

Quote from: Takumi on March 19, 2021, 11:05:17 PM

Skype hasn't taken advantage of 40 years of software design best practices, what makes you think they'd take advantage of a pandemic?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kenarmy

From what I see, Skype has been declining since the microsoft acquisition.. and Discord seems to be doing fine, and in fact I'd say that it has increased in popularity recently. But Skype isn't completely in the dumpster, it had a spike in users due to covid.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Ned Weasel

Skype is so bad, AIM would have been better had it stayed around.  I prefer Telegram for instant messaging.

Any chance we can bring this back to life?  If there's a way to add me, too, I'm SpazzyWeasel#3056 on Discord.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ozarkman417

It appears that for the short two and a half weeks I left the server, someone finally posted on it.

For those interested, here is the link from the original discord thread in 2017:

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 21, 2017, 01:32:36 PM
https://discord.gg/bNcuVFp

It would not be a bad idea to go to your profile -> change nickname -> change it to your forum username, or put it alongside your existing discord name.

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 24, 2021, 05:55:40 PM
It appears that for the short two and a half weeks I left the server, someone finally posted on it.

For those interested, here is the link from the original discord thread in 2017:

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 21, 2017, 01:32:36 PM
https://discord.gg/bNcuVFp

It would not be a bad idea to go to your profile -> change nickname -> change it to your forum username, or put it alongside your existing discord name.
Too inactive.

JoePCool14

Who even owns this 2017 server?

tolbs17

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 24, 2021, 11:12:59 PM
I assume one of the mods/admins do?

By the way, Skype and Discord have free-for-all discussions about anything you wanna talk about.

ozarkman417

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 09:44:23 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 24, 2021, 11:12:59 PM
I assume one of the mods/admins do?
No, they do not. JoePCool14 asked the question again in the discord server, so I answered it there instead.

Forum user TheArkansasRoadgeek is the owner/creator/admin of the discord server. It is not even an official server.

Roadgeekteen

I joined the AAroads discord
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

SectorZ

What is the point of an AA Roads forum discord server when the forum is more or less covering its function?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on July 28, 2021, 08:36:02 AM
What is the point of an AA Roads forum discord server when the forum is more or less covering its function?
For more casual discussion that wouldn't fit well on the forum.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 01:18:37 PM

I guess they discuss c0v1d, Mary Hannah, DST, and forum posting statistics there.  :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 01:18:37 PM

Yeah that makes sense, but there's clearly not enough interest in this community for that. And as I have said before, as for me, I prefer forum discussion since I can keep track of what's going on and actually respond to older comments.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.