News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Large universities not served by Interstate

Started by Dirt Roads, December 31, 2020, 09:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 17, 2022, 05:35:07 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 01, 2021, 01:08:15 AM
UMass Amherst was historically a little off the beaten path (I-91) until the Coolidge Bridge was widened and MA 9 four-laned through Hadley.

Even with the MA 116 freeway, most people still just drove MA 9 to University Drive to get to the Southwest dorms.

Yes, as a UMass alum, I have many fond memories of using many side streets in Hadley to avoid Route 9 back in the days before it was widened.
They've since put speed humps and the like between West Street and 47.  Speed enforcement on Rocky Hill has also been stepped up from what was already aggressive to militant...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

SkyPesos flagged Virginia Tech as being one of the top universities located more than 7 miles off of the Interstate system.  I should point out a quirk of the Interstate System (capital S, in this case) whereby Virginia Tech operates the Virginia Smart Road (also known as the Smart Highway).  The Smart Road is a proving ground for vehicle technologies, pavement, tire friction, advanced communications systems and other things that budding Roadgeeks can get their hands on.  The two-lane Virginia Smart Road is technically the western end of construction for I-781 (now part of future I-73), and therefore part of the Interstate System (capital S).  Of course, that is not connected to the Interstate system (lower case s), and may never be connected.

Even back when I was in Blacksburg in the early 1980s, there was a big push to convert Ellett Road into the co-called Ellett Valley Expressway.

golden eagle

Southern Illinois University is about 20 miles of I-57, but there's a four-lane highway that leads to I-57.

Roadgeekteen

The Indira Gandhi National Open University, with over 3 million students, is served by no interstates. In fact it's online so no interstates serve it even in my plans  :bigass:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

DandyDan

Quote from: Thing 342 on January 17, 2021, 03:32:51 PM
Using NCAA Division I FBS membership as sufficient criteria for being "large", and "an interstate passes through the county/equivalent in which it is located" as sufficient criteria for being "served by", we have the following list:

School, County, State
Appalachian State, Watuauga, NC
Central Michigan, Isabella, MI
Coastal Carolina, Horry, SC
Colorado, Boulder, CO
East Carolina, Pitt, NC
Georgia, Athens-Clarke, GA
Liberty, City of Lynchburg, VA
Mississippi State, Oktibbeha, MS
Mississippi, Lafayette, MS
Ohio, Athens, OH
Oregon State, Benton, OR
Texas A&M, Brazos, TX
Troy, Pike, AL
Washington State, Whitman, WA

Adding in state-flagship universities:
New Hampshire (FCS), Strafford, NH
South Dakota (FCS), Clay, SD
Idaho (FCS), Latah, ID
Alaska (DII), Fairbanks North Star, AK*

* - not including the on-paper Alaska interstates
Vermillion, where the University of South Dakota is, is only 8 miles from I-29 and has a 4 lane divided highway connecting the two. It's safe to say everyone from Sioux Falls uses it to go there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ilpt4u

Quote from: golden eagle on March 17, 2022, 02:20:42 PM
Southern Illinois University is about 20 miles of I-57, but there's a four-lane highway that leads to I-57.
15 miles is pretty much the distance from campus to I-57 along IL 13 in Marion. About 24 miles if taking US 51 south, mostly a 2 lane road here, to reach I-57 south of Anna

It is actually a 6 lane highway, for almost all of its length between Carbondale and Marion. The penultimate 4 lane section is currently in the midst of a multi-year widening project near the Reed Station Rd Intersection/Stoplight on IL 13 on the eastern approach into Carbondale, and the final section will be from the Williamson/Jackson County line to Cambria - this is the hardest/most expensive section, as this is where IL 13 crosses over parts of Crab Orchard Lake. The route that the current version of IL 13 takes, only has a few short bridges over the northern fingers of the lake, but all of them will need widened.

Once east of the Crab Orchard Lake birdges, IL 13 is 6 lane to east of I-57. And it is 6 lane into Carbondale

The old routing of IL 13, of which the driveable portions are still called and signed as "Old 13"  and IDOT-maintained, but not shielded as a regular state route, has a decent portion of which that is at the bottom of Crab Orchard Lake. There are marinas/boat ramps at both the Carbondale side of Old 13 and the Carterville side of Old 13, where the roadway ends at Crab Orchard Lake

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.