News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Facebook Shenanigans

Started by Plutonic Panda, June 20, 2024, 11:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Does anyone else get bombarded with friend request from people that are clearly fake? I mean, I get friend request left and right from these women that are absolutely beautiful like there's something out of a vogue issue. I feel really bad for any desperate man that fall through this crap.

I also get comments on my photos about these women telling me how they've been searching for people like me my whole life and they've scrolled through my comments and think that i'm just their soul mate. I report every one of these to facebook and every single time i'm told they don't violate code of conduct.

And like today I responded to a post from New Yorker About a tragic fall that occurred on the subway Where the person miraculously survived. I was subsequently bombarded by about 4 different comments claiming here's the tragic video. I reported every single one of them and facebook said they are not taking them down.

Why is facebook refusing to do anything about the constant scamming. One can only wonder how much money people are making by scamming this way.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 20, 2024, 11:04:28 PMDoes anyone else get bombarded with friend request from people that are clearly fake? I mean, I get friend request left and right from these women that are absolutely beautiful like there's something out of a vogue issue. I feel really bad for any desperate man that fall through this crap.

I also get comments on my photos about these women telling me how they've been searching for people like me my whole life and they've scrolled through my comments and think that i'm just their soul mate. I report every one of these to facebook and every single time i'm told they don't violate code of conduct.

And like today I responded to a post from New Yorker About a tragic fall that occurred on the subway Where the person miraculously survived. I was subsequently bombarded by about 4 different comments claiming here's the tragic video. I reported every single one of them and facebook said they are not taking them down.

Why is facebook refusing to do anything about the constant scamming. One can only wonder how much money people are making by scamming this way.

I used to get a bit more of that, but for some reason, it's been a couple of years. It's always fun to see which mutual friends are clearly lonely fellas who aren't very bright.

LilianaUwU

Facebook will allow the bots but how dare anyone post actually pertinent content to pertinent groups. That's where they draw the line.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 20, 2024, 11:30:37 PMFacebook will allow the bots but how dare anyone post actually pertinent content to pertinent groups. That's where they draw the line.
But my question is why what does Facebook gain from this?

Rothman

Nope.  Keep my stuff private.

You want your page to be public, you pay the price of the public coming to it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Someone gullible enough to be scammed by a Facebook bot probably shouldn't be on social media to begin with.

tchafe1978

Keep your profile set to private and your posts to friends only. I almost never have a problem with bots and spammers on my profile and posts. I see them all over public posts, whether they're posts by friends who post everything publicly or they're on public pages like the news stations, sports teams, etc. If you respond to one of those bots on a public page or take them seriously, you should just delete your account.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 20, 2024, 11:04:28 PMWhy is facebook refusing to do anything about the constant scamming.

Because Facebook is itself a scam.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SectorZ

Facebook allowing the creation of fake sub-accounts has only made this situation explode almost overnight. It was already bad but now it's outright unmanageable.

SEWIGuy

Hold on...these women are fake??? 

GaryV

What about the friend requests my wife gets from dead people. They're not fake, right?
 :hmmm:

bing101

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 20, 2024, 11:04:28 PMDoes anyone else get bombarded with friend request from people that are clearly fake? I mean, I get friend request left and right from these women that are absolutely beautiful like there's something out of a vogue issue. I feel really bad for any desperate man that fall through this crap.

Expect spamming to continue given that we are in an election year. These spammers are connected to the various campaigns.  Most likely the people spamming your facebook accounts and linkedin profiles are coming from there. 

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/sick-of-political-text-messages-heres-how-to-stop-them/

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/22/political-campaign-texts-election-2024

https://www.fcc.gov/rules-political-campaign-calls-and-texts

epzik8

I've dealt with this for years on TWFKAT, and have more recently noticed an uptick of it on Instagram.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

Quote from: epzik8 on June 21, 2024, 03:41:24 PMI've dealt with this for years on TWFKAT, and have more recently noticed an uptick of it on Instagram.

I get random followers on Twitter, but not messages.

Road Hog

I got a friend request from a longtime co-worker and friend a couple of months ago. After a brief hello, he started to sell me on Americorps in an extended series.

That clued me in and I'm reluctant to add friends ever since, even folks I've known for years.

bandit957

It's been going on for years now.

Facebook also refuses to fix its broken notifications, or getting the same e-mails about the same posts in our groups over and over again.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

TheHighwayMan3561

I shut off friend requests to anyone who has no mutual friends with me. Unfortunately there was one time where some dummy on my friends list accepted a bot to their page, so I still got a bot request.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

J N Winkler

It's been quite a while since I got the last friend request from an account with a glamour photo, since I typically report and block them.  I also use FB Purity and try to restrict my Facebook usage to desktop Firefox to keep my experience filtered and clean.  Unfortunately, just in the past few days hundreds of "Sponsored" posts have been making their way through.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CNGL-Leudimin

One more reason why I refer to that social network as Fakebook. I now say it is either pink or Hollister at the Discord server, since one of the bots there will reply pukes whenever either word is used :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hbelkins

Quote from: GaryV on June 21, 2024, 09:47:58 AMWhat about the friend requests my wife gets from dead people. They're not fake, right?
 :hmmm:

That sounds more like someone spoofing or cloning the account of someone who is deceased, and they peruse the deceased's friend list for people who whom they send friend requests. It happens here pretty often, and although the loved ones of the deceased often go "how cruel can they be?" they don't realize that it's nothing personal, the spoofer/cloner has no idea that they've spoofed/cloned a dead person's account, and the dead person wasn't being singled out.

Quote from: tchafe1978 on June 21, 2024, 12:29:00 AMKeep your profile set to private and your posts to friends only. I almost never have a problem with bots and spammers on my profile and posts. I see them all over public posts, whether they're posts by friends who post everything publicly or they're on public pages like the news stations, sports teams, etc. If you respond to one of those bots on a public page or take them seriously, you should just delete your account.

And keep your friend list private as well. Not only do I limit my posts to "friends only," I have them set to exclude certain friends from seeing some of my posts. OIRI do I ever set a post to be visible to the public, or to all my friends, and even then I have a "restricted" list that never sees anything I post.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.