News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on April 12, 2023, 04:39:56 PM
(i.e. anything under 50% is grounds for a ban)

It's not. What I said was "If it was up to me, I'd ban anyone with a majority of their posts there." But in the end, it's not up to me (i.e. none of the other staff members agree with that position so far as I know), so that is not actual grounds for a ban. Thus why there's no mention of it in the forum rules.

(Though I did use the word "majority", in actuality I'd probably set the threshold higher than 50%. I post what I'd consider to be a "typical" amount in Off-Topic, and that's 31% of my posts, so doubling that would be about 60%, and I could see arguments for setting it higher than that.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

I'm not certain when or if I've seen a genuine soap box, much less someone ranting atop of one.

Hobart

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 14, 2023, 05:34:48 PM
I'm not certain when or if I've seen a genuine soap box, much less someone ranting atop of one.

I've seen soap boxes, but only the little ones my Irish Spring comes in. I feel like the expression stuck around longer than the object.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

formulanone

Quote from: Hobart on April 16, 2023, 02:32:45 AM

I've seen soap boxes, but only the little ones my Irish Spring comes in. I feel like the expression stuck around longer than the object.

It's not Irish Spring unless you can cut it with a pocket knife, which in retrospect...seems like a weird thing to do to soap, and an even less appealing idea if it's body wash.

jeffandnicole

Or an actual ice box, rather than a fridge.

kurumi

In the same manner, I've seen wrecking balls only in children's books. The demolition practice now seems to be explosives or excavators with the "thagomizer" attachment (jackhammer or claw).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

J N Winkler

Quote from: kurumi on April 16, 2023, 02:00:04 PMIn the same manner, I've seen wrecking balls only in children's books. The demolition practice now seems to be explosives or excavators with the "thagomizer" attachment (jackhammer or claw).

While it notes that wrecking balls are nowhere near as popular as they were in the 1950's and 1960's, the Wikipedia article does have a photo of one and video of another in action demolishing a feed mill in Germany.  It also says they are still used when lead or asbestos is a concern.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ZLoth

This past weekend, I was at Microcenter picking up a 256GB SSD drive as a promotional freebie. This was a house brand SSD with a selling price of $20 and it got me thinking of how much SSDs have changed. My first SSD purchased was a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD about ten years ago for my Core 2 Duo system, and at the time, it cost me $200. A year and a half later, it would be transferred over to my i7-4790K system as part of a new build. That drive would later be replaced with a PNY CS2211 960 GB SSD in 2016, and would be in continuous use until my i7-4790K died earlier this month. I recycled it for my replacement home theater PC. At 50,759 hours (just over 2,114 days) and still at 95% life, it is going to last me a few years. While it is slower in transfer speeds compared to a m.2 drive, it is still quite fast enough for the needs of that system.

Just for fun, I checked the pricing at NewEgg for 250-256GB SSD drives, and the pricing for the lower end drives start now at $16. If you just double the capacity to 500-512GB, then the prices start at $23. Double again to 1TB, and the drives start at $38. We won't even go into USB flash drives. Still, it is absolutely amazing the technological improvement when a 256GB SSD, in ten years time, goes from a $200 premium purchase to a giveaway part.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

Yes.  One of the things I love about my car is that the sound system plays files off a USB flash drive.  I've got thousands of hours of music and misc. recordings on there.  In the "where is AM radio going" thread, this is really the answer to what to listen to when no FM station is in range.

kphoger

Quote from: Hobart on April 16, 2023, 02:32:45 AM

Well, the proverbial soapbox that someone gets down from after preaching their message would be a wooden crate like this:

I don't believe I've ever seen one of these either, unless it was at an antique store or in someone's house as decoration and I just didn't notice.

However, I personally own one of these, which is indeed a soapbox but quite useless for standing on:

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Today at Texas Roadhouse, the music was behaving strangely. I was able to see a music video TV from my seat.

Normal when we came in.
Texas Roadhouse theme song. (In normal times, this is a cue for the servers to get ready to line dance. They started doing so.)
Footloose. Cut off early.
Texas Roadhouse theme song.
God Blessed Texas. Cut off early.
Footloose. Cut off early, but later than the first time. This is the one the servers were dancing to, although we did get waited on during it, so it wasn't everyone.
God Blessed Texas. Cut off early.
One or two normal songs.
The same song twice in a row, with an incorrect description on the TV (but the correct music video) at one point late in the first cycle.
About 30 minutes of normal music.
Texas Roadhouse theme song, except the music video didn't change and was still showing the previous song.
(I left the table at this point because I was done with my meal. I could no longer see the TV.)
Shivers by Ed Sheeran, which isn't a country song. At this point, I think the music went into default mode. I left the building in the middle of this song.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2023, 10:21:14 AM
Well, the proverbial soapbox that someone gets down from after preaching their message would be a wooden crate like this:

[snip]

When I was growing up, we had a wooden crate like that, but it was for beer, not soap. Nice sturdy box, though, that we filled with all sorts of random crap. The inside of the lid had a chessboard painted on it, and we had a bag of chess pieces of the appropriate size that we kept in the box.

Flint1979

Updated Michigan construction map.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's just unfortunate that you will have to drive through plenty of it to reach the areas shaded in blue. ;)

But despite all I've seen in the US, there's nowhere else I'd rather be but by the Great Lakes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

That map is inaccurate.

The Gordie Howe Bridge crosses an area shaded in blue.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Flint1979

Quote from: vdeane on April 18, 2023, 10:17:05 PM
That map is inaccurate.

The Gordie Howe Bridge crosses an area shaded in blue.
And the Mackinac Bridge crosses an area shaded in blue and that bridge is constantly under construction.

kurumi

How many lasers are in active use in your household? The answer was likely zero a few decades ago; and might have peaked in the early 2000s with CD and CD-ROM use.

(Having said that, there might be a wider variety of uses now.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on April 24, 2023, 08:20:38 PM
How many lasers are in active use in your household? The answer was likely zero a few decades ago; and might have peaked in the early 2000s with CD and CD-ROM use.

(Having said that, there might be a wider variety of uses now.)

I always have a laser pointer on me at work, and it gets used about 1-10 minutes in day.

Not sure if too many other of our household items have lasers in them. Maybe the robotic vacuum, but I'm entirely sure of the technology behind the proximity sensors.

kphoger

The DVD/Blu-ray player
The kids' laser pointers

Golly, could that be all of them?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ZLoth

Lets see here... the BluRay and 4K players (but no CD players), the two BluRay drives on one of my computers, the Powerpoint presenter remote that I carry around, a color and b&w laser printer, and a infrared thermometer where the laser is intended to help locate where you are pointing.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Scott5114

I have a laser printer because I got sick of inkjet cartridges drying up on me between uses.

The annoying garage door sensors probably have lasers in them too. 

kkt

Let's see. 
bluray players, 2.
computer multipurpose disc playsers, 2.
optical mice, 1
printer, 1
cd player, 1

I think that's the lot.

zachary_amaryllis

Spooky action at a distance.

Me and a friend are constantly one-upping each other, to see how far away we can make something physically happen.

We can all turn our lights on from [wherever] but...

I remote-desktopped one of my co-worker's computers ... in India ... and ejected his optical drive. Pretty sure that's about as far as one can get from Colorado and still be on the same planet.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.