News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ZLoth on June 08, 2024, 09:24:40 PMHigh winds. Although the next question is how it has been like that.

If high winds caused that, we're talking strong hurricane or tornado winds.

ZLoth

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 08, 2024, 11:13:48 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on June 08, 2024, 09:24:40 PMHigh winds. Although the next question is how it has been like that.

If high winds caused that, we're talking strong hurricane or tornado winds.

It probably occurred after August 2023 which is the latest streetview shot. It may also have been run over and put back up in the same place.
Don't Drive Distrac... SQUIRREL!

Flint1979

It happened within the last week.

wanderer2575

Are these people doing all the "I created this product" ads on TV really the inventors?

kurumi

"Unavailable" as a simple adjective is pretty much the same meaning as "not available".

Except:

"unavailable in all areas" has a different connotation from "not available in all areas"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Never saw a sign like that in Oklahoma so I don't think it was high winds. My guess is that an oversize vehicle smacked it good, such that the post was left standing but the signs got crunched up good.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ZLoth

From Chron:

Latest Texas kangaroo escapee seen hopping across busy highway
The kangaroo was one of two that escaped overnight from a nearby exotic animal farm

FULL ARTICLE HERE

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 10, 2024, 12:21:56 AM

Never saw a sign like that in Oklahoma so I don't think it was high winds. My guess is that an oversize vehicle smacked it good, such that the post was left standing but the signs got crunched up good.

Considering how mangled the sign is, the signpost would have almost certainly come down if it was hit any lower. But the top of the sign being hit by the side view mirror on a large vehicle seems like a possibility.

The argument for wind or another force of nature is that it looks like all the panels folded in the exact same direction.

Max Rockatansky

Pretty sure I broke my small toe on my left foot last night.  I've been pondering how to alter my workout routine for the next four weeks since I probably can't run.  I'll probably have to fire up my rower which involves buying a bunch of D batteries.

I might go for longer lifting sessions at the gym.  I'm bored with my current weight lifting routine and it probably is worth spending some dedicated time changing it up. 

kurumi

I remember fracturing my little finger years ago, and while it was healing in a cast, thinking "you don't really need your little finger for chinups, right?"

spoiler; yes, I do

(didn't re-injure, but realized chinups were still off the menu)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

The worst was when I had broken ribs associated with getting hit by a car in 2010.  You don't realize how much all those muscles lining your rib cage are part of literally every exercise until they break.  Even my broken left arm was easier to compensate for. 

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on June 10, 2024, 12:07:22 AM"Unavailable" as a simple adjective is pretty much the same meaning as "not available".

Except:

"unavailable in all areas" has a different connotation from "not available in all areas"

"Unavailable" creates just a little FOMO and desirability. Like you'll drive five states out of your way for a bite, or look for the item on the gray market.

ZLoth

From CNBC:

Amazon's ditching the plastic air pillows in its boxes
QuoteAmazon
 said Thursday it has removed 95% of the plastic air pillows from its packaging in North America and will replace them with paper fillers made from 100% recycled content.

It marks Amazon's largest plastic-packaging reduction effort and will help it remove nearly 15 billion plastic pillows annually.

"We are working towards full removal in North America by end of year and will continue to innovate, test, and scale in order to prioritize curbside recyclable materials," VP of Mechatronics and Sustainable Packaging Pat Lindner said in the announcement.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Finally!

JayhawkCO

Glad this is finally happening. I re-use probably 50% of the pillows that I get, but they still seem so wasteful.

snowc

Quote from: ZLoth on June 20, 2024, 02:09:32 PMFrom CNBC:

Amazon's ditching the plastic air pillows in its boxes
QuoteAmazon
 said Thursday it has removed 95% of the plastic air pillows from its packaging in North America and will replace them with paper fillers made from 100% recycled content.

It marks Amazon's largest plastic-packaging reduction effort and will help it remove nearly 15 billion plastic pillows annually.

"We are working towards full removal in North America by end of year and will continue to innovate, test, and scale in order to prioritize curbside recyclable materials," VP of Mechatronics and Sustainable Packaging Pat Lindner said in the announcement.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Finally!
Welp there goes popping them with my bare hands.
southeastern road geek since 2001.
here's my clinched counties https://mob-rule.com/user/snowc
and my clinched roads https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=snowc
i'm on kartaview as well https://kartaview.org/user/computer-geek
wikipedia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BryceM2001

Max Rockatansky

The X-Ray on my toe turned out negative.  Seems I just hyperextended the shit out of it.  Went back to distance running the last two days but my stride is all screwy from being sore.

ZLoth

From The Verge:

Redbox missed a multimillion-dollar payment it couldn't afford to miss
The DVD rental kiosk company was supposed to pay $16.7 million in three installments. After missing the first payment, there's a court order to pay the whole balance.
QuoteRedbox's financial situation continues to spiral out of its control. On Thursday, a Los Angeles court entered a $16.7 million judgment against the company in favor of NBCUniversal, after Redbox failed to pay a scheduled installment of a settlement the parties reached earlier in May.

The missed payment bodes ill for the DVD kiosk company, which now owes the remaining balance in full. More importantly, the missed payment suggests the company simply did not have the requisite money on hand, and the prospect of bankruptcy may be looming for Redbox and its deeply indebted corporate parent, Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I'm not sure if I should treat this as another nail in physical media's coffin or, from my perspective, the sad state of many of Hollywood's recent releases.

Max Rockatansky

Red Box stopped making payments to my employer about a year ago.  They have been a death spiral for a while.

mgk920

I don't know how long it has been since I bought (new or used) physical media.  Downloads, on-demand streaming or OTA radio for me.  I'll watch what is on the screens at the bars, too.  I'll also buy a CD from an interesting independent musician who I see perform.

Mike

elsmere241

It's been a long time for me too, but I'm holding on to what I've got.  If streaming continued to lose money, it will go away.

vdeane

I don't get DVDs/BluRays as much as I used to, but I do still fill in my collection, especially with respect to any movie I might want to re-watch on the regular, as movies are pretty ephemeral on streaming services when they aren't originals (and sometimes even then), often just staying for a month or two before moving to another service or becoming unavailable entirely.  Not as much with TV shows, both due to them having more staying power in streaming, and due to the amount of money and shelf space needed to buy complete series.  That said, I'm considering getting the Star Trek complete series sets due to the uncertainty of what's going to happen to Paramount.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

We've got a collection of DVDs and CDs.  Haven't touched them in a very long time.  And, when I did, somehow CDs left in cases still got scratched up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

I have a ton of DVD/Blu-ray. I also have nothing to play them with. Not sure why I continue to hold onto them.

kkt

I still watch, and buy, physical media.

Max Rockatansky

I buy my wife DVDs as gifts all the time.  She likes to collect them and occasionally binge watches them on the bedroom DVD.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.