News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 23, 2024, 05:53:04 PMI buy my wife DVDs as gifts all the time.  She likes to collect them and occasionally binge watches them on the bedroom DVD.

How quaint. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 23, 2024, 05:53:04 PMoccasionally binge watches them on the bedroom DVD.

"Not tonight, honey. I'm in the middle of watching 'Happy Days'".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on June 24, 2024, 07:37:10 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 23, 2024, 05:53:04 PMoccasionally binge watches them on the bedroom DVD.

That was more my dad's thing.  He never lived past the era where Happy Days wasn't commonly broadcasted in syndication. 

Rothman

Ron Howard having a mustache in the final episode threw me off as a kid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: GaryV on June 24, 2024, 07:37:10 AM

God sends his spaceships to America, the beautiful.
They land at six o'clock and there we are, the dutiful—
Eating from TV trays, tuned in to "Happy Days,"
Waiting for World War III while Jesus slaves
To the mating calls of lawyers in love.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ZLoth

When I was young (pre-driving), I had a fantasy of having a Class A license which meant that I could drive anything with four or more wheels plus a Class D license which meant motor-driven cycles. Of course, reality took place, and I never had anything more than a Class C license.

Anyone else have the same fantasy?
Don't Drive Distrac... SQUIRREL!

Max Rockatansky

Never had any ambitions to drive a vehicle exceeding 26,001 pounds growing up.  Nothing I've seen in my adult life has suggested my assessment was off the mark.

mgk920

Quote from: ZLoth on June 25, 2024, 02:24:31 PMWhen I was young (pre-driving), I had a fantasy of having a Class A license which meant that I could drive anything with four or more wheels plus a Class D license which meant motor-driven cycles. Of course, reality took place, and I never had anything more than a Class C license.

You cold be a driver for the Mackinac Bridge Authority - they have a service where one of their people will drive the vehicle of anyone who is to scared to drive it across the bridge by themselves.  CDL with all of the possible endorsements.  (imagining a burly, otherwise fearless OTR driver tucked safely away in the sleeper while the Authority's driver takes the rig across.)

:nod:

Mike

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ZLoth on June 25, 2024, 02:24:31 PMWhen I was young (pre-driving), I had a fantasy of having a Class A license which meant that I could drive anything with four or more wheels plus a Class D license which meant motor-driven cycles. Of course, reality took place, and I never had anything more than a Class C license.

Yes, although I never went through with it, admittedly to few regrets. However, the corrective lenses restriction I have does get to me sometimes, even though I wouldn't dream of driving without them.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

snowc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 23, 2024, 05:17:36 PMI have a ton of DVD/Blu-ray. I also have nothing to play them with. Not sure why I continue to hold onto them.
I learned that the library is a very good place to get movies that are recent.
southeastern road geek since 2001.
here's my clinched counties https://mob-rule.com/user/snowc
and my clinched roads https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=snowc
i'm on kartaview as well https://kartaview.org/user/computer-geek
wikipedia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BryceM2001

ZLoth

Quote from: snowc on June 26, 2024, 12:43:50 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 23, 2024, 05:17:36 PMI have a ton of DVD/Blu-ray. I also have nothing to play them with. Not sure why I continue to hold onto them.
I learned that the library is a very good place to get movies that are recent.

Most of the movie/tv show collection at my local library is in the 480i DVD format rather than the 1080p BluRay format. Having said that, my library card also has free access to the Kanopy streaming service as well as Hoopla and Overdrive for audiobooks and ebooks.
Don't Drive Distrac... SQUIRREL!

D-Dey65

A year and a half ago, I discovered a link with evidence of a formerly proposed parkway from Wildwood State Park in Wading River, New York to Mattituck, New York.
https://liparks.com/history/wildwoodstatepark/

As it turns out, that website has a whole slew of recommended links to news articles at the time, and one of them is the one that includes the proposed Wildwood Parkway, along with numerous other proposed highways and parkways;
https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/?a=d&d=cour19250409-01.1.6&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN----------

However, there's one non-road related article that has left me with a great deal of suspicion. It's an article about some popular 17-year-old girl from Cutchogue who died suddenly. She also had another sister who died a year earlier for no apparent reason.

Now, why would a popular 17-year-old girl suddenly die, especially just a year after one of her sisters also dies? My guess is that one or both of her parents were disturbed over how popular their daughters were, assumed they were sluts, thought of them as embarrassments, then bumped them off and covered up the real causes of their deaths.

kkt

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 29, 2024, 12:22:36 PMA year and a half ago, I discovered a link with evidence of a formerly proposed parkway from Wildwood State Park in Wading River, New York to Mattituck, New York.
https://liparks.com/history/wildwoodstatepark/

As it turns out, that website has a whole slew of recommended links to news articles at the time, and one of them is the one that includes the proposed Wildwood Parkway, along with numerous other proposed highways and parkways;
https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/?a=d&d=cour19250409-01.1.6&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN----------

However, there's one non-road related article that has left me with a great deal of suspicion. It's an article about some popular 17-year-old girl from Cutchogue who died suddenly. She also had another sister who died a year earlier for no apparent reason.

Now, why would a popular 17-year-old girl suddenly die, especially just a year after one of her sisters also dies? My guess is that one or both of her parents were disturbed over how popular their daughters were, assumed they were sluts, thought of them as embarrassments, then bumped them off and covered up the real causes of their deaths.

Sad, but causes of death other than murder seem much more likely.  Suicide, carelessness with guns, car accidents...

Hunty2022

The top 5 highest and top 5 lowest temps I recorded *when typing* in the "What's your weather currently?" thread (all in F):

HIGHEST:
1. 97 - 9/05/23
2. 96 - 6/22/24
3. 94 - 8/27/23
4. 90 - 4/20/23
5. 85 - 9/08/23

LOWEST:
1. 10 - 12/24/22
2. 14 - 1/17/24
3. 27 - 1/15/24
4. 31 - 1/06/24
5. 33 - 12/15/22
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads - VA (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Hunty Roads - NC (also under construction):
https://huntyroadsnc.blogspot.com

JayhawkCO

Despite me having a child under 6, I still check in for Southwest flights at exactly T-24. It doesn't matter what group I get since we can board after the A group.

hotdogPi

Vermont Route 7A gets a mention by xkcd. (24 Down, intended to be entered as AAAAAAA.)

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 1A, 13, 44, 50, 302
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
ME 22, 25, 26, 77, 100
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 36

CNGL-Leudimin

In fact I believe all of that crossword is just A.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kkt

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 11, 2024, 02:51:07 PMIn fact I believe all of that crossword is just A.

spoiler!

gonealookin

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 01, 2024, 05:47:23 PMDespite me having a child under 6, I still check in for Southwest flights at exactly T-24. It doesn't matter what group I get since we can board after the A group.

The Chase/Southwest "Priority" Visa card ($149 annual fee) provides four free A1-A15 boardings per year (you pay full price for them but they are reimbursed).  I try to check in as close to T-24 as possible.  No kids here, so if I still draw a C or high B for a flight that's more than 1 hour in length, I use one of those Get Out Of Jail Free cards.  "Subject to availability" but they have never been "out" of A1-15 passes when I've needed one.

Not intended to advertise, but the $149 is paid by the $75 credit for paying cash for one flight plus the 7500 anniversary points which are worth >$0.01 each, so I come out a bit ahead whether I use all four of the upgrades or none.

vdeane

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 11, 2024, 02:51:07 PMIn fact I believe all of that crossword is just A.
How does that work as far as accuracy is concerned.  It's route 7A, not just A.  Maybe there's some county route somewhere is Wisconsin that's a series of As, but not around Bennington!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Big John

Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2024, 08:55:36 PM
How does that work as far as accuracy is concerned.  It's route 7A, not just A.  Maybe there's some county route somewhere is Wisconsin that's a series of As, but not around Bennington!
Oneida St (Green Bay/Ashwaubenon) in County AAA, the most letters allowed.

Rothman

Bad spoiler bad man.

formulanone

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on July 11, 2024, 09:13:06 PM

"A street that runs past a major NFL stadium is 'County Highway ____'."

Mike

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on July 12, 2024, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 11, 2024, 09:13:06 PM

"A street that runs past a major NFL stadium is 'County Highway ____'."

Mike
2 streets. Lombardi is County VK. (I don't understand why the letters best representing Vikings was chosen there)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.