News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

If I know I'll need to find a file or a group of them sometime in the future, I'll create a folder where I put everything related to that project. Finding that is super easy from then on out - the alternative is typing whatever I think it was named into the search box, then hunting through a ton of .py files I've never touched that appeared when I downloaded Anaconda four years ago to see if I guessed the name right.

If it's in Downloads, good luck ever finding anything in there. The files on my current laptop were backed up from my previous laptop, which I'd had since 2016 - so there are over 3,000 items in there.

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 08, 2023, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2023, 03:06:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 08, 2023, 02:57:41 PM
What if MMM actually lives in Nebraska?

Then he would have driven on a gravel road before.
Maybe MMM is just an advanced ai made by the new urbanists to drive us away from the forum  :bigass:

Perhaps he's actually some computer science graduate student's dissertation.

kkt

Quote from: US 89 on March 08, 2023, 11:33:20 PM
If I know I'll need to find a file or a group of them sometime in the future, I'll create a folder where I put everything related to that project. Finding that is super easy from then on out - the alternative is typing whatever I think it was named into the search box, then hunting through a ton of .py files I've never touched that appeared when I downloaded Anaconda four years ago to see if I guessed the name right.

If it's in Downloads, good luck ever finding anything in there. The files on my current laptop were backed up from my previous laptop, which I'd had since 2016 - so there are over 3,000 items in there.

Apps dump files all over the place.  It's very annoying.  I do clean out my Downloads directory reguarly but even so.  Some things get stuck in my home folder, or the top of the file system, or someplace else.  I miss there being a current working directory like on Unix.

US 89

Quote from: kkt on March 09, 2023, 12:01:56 AM
If I know I’ll need to find a file or a group of them sometime in the future, I’ll create a folder where I put everything related to that project. Finding that is super easy from then on out - the alternative is typing whatever I think it was named into the search box, then hunting through a ton of .py files I’ve never touched that appeared when I downloaded Anaconda four years ago to see if I guessed the name right.

If it’s in Downloads, good luck ever finding anything in there. The files on my current laptop were backed up from my previous laptop, which I’d had since 2016 - so there are over 3,000 items in there.

Apps dump files all over the place.  It's very annoying.  I do clean out my Downloads directory reguarly but even so.  Some things get stuck in my home folder, or the top of the file system, or someplace else.  I miss there being a current working directory like on Unix.

Yeah, I feel the same way about my Desktop. I used to try to organize it but now it's gotten messy enough that cleaning it out is going to be a bigger project that I'll have to block out time for. Most of the clutter is screenshots I've needed over the years, which get dumped in Desktop for some reason. Also, Microsoft Office applications like Word or Excel seem to indiscriminately alternate whether they save to Downloads or Documents by default.

Anything that winds up in the home directory or above is especially annoying, because it's really hard to actually find those places in Finder on a Mac... to the point where using the terminal to get there is easier. I'll never understand why stuff ends up there.

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on March 09, 2023, 08:59:06 AM

Yeah, I feel the same way about my Desktop. I used to try to organize it but now it's gotten messy enough that cleaning it out is going to be a bigger project that I'll have to block out time for. Most of the clutter is screenshots I've needed over the years, which get dumped in Desktop for some reason. Also, Microsoft Office applications like Word or Excel seem to indiscriminately alternate whether they save to Downloads or Documents by default.

Anything that winds up in the home directory or above is especially annoying, because it's really hard to actually find those places in Finder on a Mac... to the point where using the terminal to get there is easier. I'll never understand why stuff ends up there.

Since I've had a laptop and can't always backup until I get home, I dump almost everything onto my desktop to either copy/move the files later. Since the work PC has somewhat different file folder structures in Documents (et al), it's just easier. I'll usually just directly move the saved files to my desired folder if it's solely for work, which gets backed up to the work cloud anyhow.

Probably maddening to most, but hey, free laptop.

Scott5114

One of the first things I do on a fresh Linux install is delete all the pre-installed ~/Documents, ~/Pictures, etc. subdirectories of the home directory and then dump all of my stuff directly in the home directory. (I have ended up recreating many of them in some form under different names, but the capitalization of the default folders, and the automatic behavior some programs display toward them, bothers me.) This seems like it helps reduce such ambiguity. I have no idea if OS X will let you get away with that, however.

I will say I'm a bit annoyed with Firefox saving PDFs I instruct it to open directly to ~ rather than the ~/tmp/dl directory I created for the purpose of saving temporary downloads, however. But not annoyed enough to tinker with the config, clearly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

It would be funny if the reason I-11 is being extended over US-95 to Kyles Canyon is because NDOT accidentally hired a grid purist.

zachary_amaryllis

There is, but Windows makes you work to get to it. It's c:\Users\[your name]. It's also hard to get to, since Windows doesn't make it a shortcut by default.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kurumi

There's a thread titled "Induced Demand: Let's Talk About It", and ironically, that thread is filling up with posts! Four pages so far. And I don't see any lower traffic on the other threads.

Obviously that thread demonstrates its own point :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

J N Winkler

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 10, 2023, 08:04:56 AMThere is, but Windows makes you work to get to it. It's c:\Users\[your name]. It's also hard to get to, since Windows doesn't make it a shortcut by default.

This is called the User Profile folder and its directory path is stored in the system variable %UserProfile%.  Windows does provide shortcuts in the Windows Explorer file chooser for key subfolders, such as Documents (My Documents in older versions of Windows), Downloads, Desktop, Music, Videos, Pictures, etc.

The out-of-the-box default for major browsers like Chrome and Firefox is to save downloaded files in the Downloads folder, which has the path %UserProfile%\Downloads.  However, it is generally possible to set a different target path in settings, to require the browser to prompt the user to pick a folder, or to save in the last used folder (and, if it no longer exists, to prompt the user for a new folder).  Firefox subdivides folder assignments by server, which means that if I save an article from the online Wichita Eagle, it will usually go into an "articles" folder, while if I save something from the TxDOT FTP server, it will go to a subfolder in my "TxDOT Plans" folder.

It has been literally years since I last had something save to the Desktop.  I can't imagine a scenario where a file would save there unless it was hard-coded to do so because the Desktop is guaranteed always to exist.  This behavior used to be quite common for program installers, but now they usually save in Downloads unless a different target folder has been configured.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

I saw this slide and now you have to, too.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 19, 2023, 06:32:14 PM

So we've had a mascot all this time and nobody told me?

hotdogPi

How did a Massachusetts license plate saying KCAZZO get approved?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on March 20, 2023, 08:05:53 PM

Maybe the person on license plate approval duty doesn't spend much time around Italian speakers. I've never heard that expression before myself.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kurumi on March 14, 2023, 11:40:40 AM
There's a thread titled "Induced Demand: Let's Talk About It", and ironically, that thread is filling up with posts! Four pages so far. And I don't see any lower traffic on the other threads.

Obviously that thread demonstrates its own point :-)

Oh my god that's hilarious.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 20, 2023, 08:48:32 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 20, 2023, 08:05:53 PM

Maybe the person on license plate approval duty doesn't spend much time around Italian speakers. I've never heard that expression before myself.

More Italian speakers, and certainly more ethnic Italians, in Massachusetts than Oklahoma, I'm sure.

I very briefly thought about getting POES KLP for a license plate, but anyone who doesn't speak Afrikaans would just wonder what Poe story I was talking about. Also my wife would murder me
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

I wonder if the sign for Bryan Dairy Road was once missing or someone just couldn't read it?

(FL 693 in St. Pete)

kphoger

Yesterday, I uploaded an image that the forum resized to be 666x400 pixels.  This morning, I remembered it and thought:  US Route designations that Colorado didn't/doesn't seem to want very much.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on March 23, 2023, 02:19:33 PM
Yesterday, I uploaded an image that the forum resized to be 666x400 pixels.  This morning, I remembered it and thought:  US Route designations that Colorado didn't/doesn't seem to want very much.
At least the reason for killing 666 made sense... sort of.
400 just doesn't belong at all. No justifiable reason, that I know of.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Max Rockatansky

Why are so many newspapers called "Insert City Bee?"   Near me two of the more prominent papers are the Fresno Bee and Modesto Bee.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2023, 02:05:25 PM
Why are so many newspapers called "Insert City Bee?"   Near me two of the more prominent papers are the Fresno Bee and Modesto Bee.

Because bees are industrious.  That's why we say "busy as a bee" and why certain group activities are called "bees".  Both the Fresno Bee and the Modesto Bee are descendants of the Daily Bee, as is the Sacramento Bee.

Quote from: The Sacramento Bee – About Us – 14-OCT-2014
WHY IS IT CALLED 'THE BEE'?

(Exerpted from The Sacramento Bee's Ombudsman column on March 24, 1991)

Glad you asked. It's been that since 1857 when James McClatchy founded the paper. An editorial on the first day of publication said: "The name of The Bee has been adopted as being different from that of any other paper in the state and as also being emblematic of the industry which is to prevail in its every department."

So, the promise was a paper as busy as a bee. (Quaint, but not a bad marketing strategy, I should think.)

The first James McClatchy used a picture of a bee on his business stationery. His son, C.K., ordered the image of a bee depicted in mosaic tile in the lobby of the old Bee office at 911 Seventh St. in 1901. That mosaic now is on permanent display at the Sacramento History Museum.

https://www.sacbee.com/customer-service/about-us/
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Interesting, I would have assumed it was a more Ag-centric rationale for the naming convention.

JoePCool14

I know it's been 5 days but you can still delete this.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 24, 2023, 04:00:34 PM

I know it's been 5 days but you can still delete this.

I can delete a lot of things.

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2023, 02:05:25 PM

Don't forget the Babylon Bee.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.