News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cumberland, MD Meet - Saturday, October 21, 2023

Started by Laura, September 01, 2023, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 17, 2023, 07:58:38 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 17, 2023, 07:54:46 PM
Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 15, 2023, 09:05:21 PM
Meet Itinerary and Driving Tour information is complete and can be viewed at the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q0tyfqa5o23v6cv49tzad/Cumberland-Meet-Itinerary.docx?rlkey=qzzzq12qfnv3bty92trdyexx8&dl=0

If you're planning to attend and have not already RSVPed, please let us know ASAP, either here on the forum or on the Facebook event page linked to above. That way we know how many to expect at the restaurant. Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend!

Based on my past experience, might not hurt to ask the restaurant for a couple extra seats anyway just in case.

Based on my past experience, I think we've got this. Thanks.

Heh.  Zing...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Laura

Meet Itinerary and Driving Tour information is complete and can be viewed at the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q0tyfqa5o23v6cv49tzad/Cumberland-Meet-Itinerary.docx?rlkey=qzzzq12qfnv3bty92trdyexx8&dl=0

If you're planning to attend and have not already RSVPed, please let us know ASAP, either here on the forum or on the Facebook event page linked to above. That way we know how many to expect at the restaurant. Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend!

Based on my past experience, might not hurt to ask the restaurant for a couple extra seats anyway just in case.

Froggie - Thank you for the kind suggestion, especially considering that way back in 2010, Mike and I were two of those people who spontaneously drove 4 hours to the Southwest PA meet in the snow!!  :spin:

Rothman

Quote from: Laura on October 18, 2023, 03:47:09 AM

Froggie - Thank you for the kind suggestion, especially considering that way back in 2010, Mike and I were two of those people who spontaneously drove 4 hours to the Southwest PA meet in the snow!!  :spin:
Let's take a poll on which was the better response... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

tckma

Welp, my attendance at this is once again up in the air (*sigh*).  I'll keep you all posted.

akotchi

Sorry for the late response.  I expressed interest earlier, but never confirmed attendance.  I am now confirming attendance, especially since I got into town about an hour ago . . .

See you all tomorrow!
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Rothman

Makes me feel like I confirmed on time with the late stragglers coming in. :D

vdeane

Has anyone else here read The Adventures of Dr. McNinja?  This meet makes me think of it since it's set in Cumberland, and the comic is fairly accurate in its illustrations.  The first few pages of the Doc Gets Rad story are road-accurate enough that it's even possible to track down the route of the chase (which starts here and ends near our first tour stop).  Even the road signs are accurate.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190516175945/http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/15p1/

In any case, here's to a most rad roadmeet!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Great Lakes Roads

Arrived in Cumberland ~45 minutes ago at my hotel... Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow!

Laura

Valerie, that's so awesome!!!

Can't wait to see everyone! This will definitely be a rad roadmeet!!!

One last thing - Milestones!!! There are milestones on US 40 and I forgot to add them to the itinerary.

Here is an ArcGIS map of them with more information. https://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=374856d5ea864183847d22b158af102a

In brief, we will see them at the following mileage distances from Cumberland: 5, 6*, 7, 10, 12, 13*, 14, 19, 25.

Leg 1 includes mile marker 5, and we will stop at 6, which also includes a *toll gate, at La Vale Toll House.

Leg 2 includes the others. 7 and 10 are before downtown Frostburg; 12 and 14 are after. There is an old *toll gate around where mile marker 13 would have been. Marker 19 is before we get to US 219.

Leg 3: Marker 25 is in Grantsville in front of the Casselman Inn.

I posted pictures on the Facebook event  of the map points and examples of what the milestones and toll gate posts look like - not sure how to do that here.

Alps

Cumberland MD has a lot of stray cats right now and the shelter has waived adoption fees, so please bring some home with you!

Rothman

Great meet...even though I and others had to bolt early...

froggie

Think it's safe to say I shocked a few people with my arrival...

akotchi

Enjoyed the meet yesterday.  Thanks to Laura and Dan for setting this all up.

I suspect we made our tour guide's day at the LaVale toll gate house.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

74/171FAN

Quote from: akotchi on October 22, 2023, 08:22:45 AM

Yes thank you.  I am planning to take my parents to the toll gate house at some point.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 22, 2023, 09:08:42 AM
Quote from: akotchi on October 22, 2023, 08:22:45 AM

Yes thank you.  I am planning to take my parents to the toll gate house at some point.

Just as a heads up for next year (since yesterday was the last day for the 2023 season), even in-season, there are a pretty limited number of days the toll house is open. Allegany County CVB generally posts about it on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MountainMaryland

Laura

Thank you all so much for coming on Saturday!! It was such a memorable meet - and I agree that we made our tour guide's day at the LaVale Toll House.

Thank you also for the wonderful surprise, Froggie!!

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on October 22, 2023, 07:05:06 AM

Now we know why you were suggesting a few extra spots at the lunch table.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkins on October 23, 2023, 10:08:35 AM
Quote from: froggie on October 22, 2023, 07:05:06 AM

Now we know why you were suggesting a few extra spots at the lunch table.

That's a good idea in general anyway.

froggie

For those who were at the meet (and/or those who are railfans), check out this video starting around 17:24.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.