News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most useless roundabout

Started by hobsini2, November 27, 2011, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Yesterday, when I was driving from Park City UT back home to Chicago, i think i came across the most useless roundabout in Kimball NE.

<iframe style="height: 270px; width: 450px;" src="http://www.mapquest.com/embed?hk=uXMXtI" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Link 53E connects US 30 with the new NE 71 bypass but goes thru this roundabout.  The street dead ends just past this and the roundabout is not on the bypass at all.

I would never of found this w/o my brother needing a bathroom so an assist to his bladder. lol
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Zmapper

At least that roundabout has a spur going somewhere. This one is even more useless.

NE2

Quote from: Zmapper on November 27, 2011, 01:28:48 PM
At least that roundabout has a spur going somewhere. This one is even more useless.
At least that roundabout has the potential for more roads. This one is even more useless.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

That reminds me of this one and this one that exist to help large vehicles turn the sharp corner.

This one has an exit stub, but the roundabout was built to serve the building that such an access would crash into (and you can get to the car parks via the roundabouts on either side). I thought it may have been to make a cool station underneath, but the stub suggests otherwise. It doesn't function as a roundabout though.

1995hoo

I like roundabouts in general, but these two are pointless:

Near Laurel Hill Golf Course in Fairfax County (at least there is potential for one more leg)

East end of Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria, Virginia. This really ought to be some form of a modified T-intersection. I pass through this roundabout quite frequently and in all my years of going that way I have seen precisely ONE vehicle use the street that goes off the "bottom" of that roundabout ("bottom" meaning as they're shown on the satellite view)–everyone else is thru traffic connecting between Eisenhower Avenue and Holland Lane. What makes this roundabout worse is that if you're heading from Holland to Eisenhower (going right to left on the map, i.e., heading west from the roundabout) there is a traffic light almost immediately as you exit the roundabout, but they're now building houses that front on the roundabout (not shown on the satellite view) and you can't see the light until you exit the roundabout. I always worry about the potential for being rear-ended there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tradephoric

If you want to get dizzy driving roundabouts, there are 7 multi-lane roundabouts in a 1.25 mile stretch of road in Kansas:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.959036,-94.868514&z=15&t=h&hl=en

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.