News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Freeways Named as Surface Streets

Started by webny99, July 20, 2018, 12:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeman33

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 20, 2018, 12:59:05 PM
Skelly Dr in Tulsa (I-44) and
Kellogg Dr in Wichita (US 54/US 400)

may apply here. I don't know if they were so named that before they were made into freeways.

iPhone

Kellogg was, yes, but I think it's officially Kellogg Ave. (JN? Richie?). Kellogg Drive is the name of the frontage roads that exist now.

freebrickproductions

Research Park Boulevard here in Huntsville, AL probably qualifies.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

tdindy88

Keystone Parkway in Carmel from north of 96th Street to U.S. 31 may not be the most freeway-kind of freeway but it is freeflowing with interchanges. The roadway became a "freeway" after losing its numerical designation (Indiana 431) when the state decommissioned the highway.

roadman65

Quote from: apeman33 on July 26, 2018, 09:45:03 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 20, 2018, 12:59:05 PM
Skelly Dr in Tulsa (I-44) and
Kellogg Dr in Wichita (US 54/US 400)

may apply here. I don’t know if they were so named that before they were made into freeways.

iPhone

Kellogg was, yes, but I think it's officially Kellogg Ave. (JN? Richie?). Kellogg Drive is the name of the frontage roads that exist now.
The signs on I-235 refer to it as an Avenue.  The signs on I-135 call it just plain Kellogg.  The reason for the signs on I-135 being that way is cause most streets in Wichita are called by name and no suffix.  My friend lives on Pawnee Street but its called Pawnee and even when I mail a letter to him I just use the Pawnee name just as the exit guide on I-135 reads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

I-395 in Baltimore bears the honorofic, but unofficial, name of Cal Ripken Way.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mgk920

Two that quickly come to my mind in Wisconsin, both disconnected from any other systems, are Campus Dr in Madison and the Mason St Fox River Bridge in Green Bay.

Also Miller Park Way(?) (WI 175 or WI 341) in Milwaukee.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on April 15, 2024, 11:58:14 AMTwo that quickly come to my mind in Wisconsin, both disconnected from any other systems, are Campus Dr in Madison and the Mason St Fox River Bridge in Green Bay.

Also Miller Park Way(?) (WI 175 or WI 341) in Milwaukee.

Mike

I'm not sure I would call Campus Drive or Mason Street "freeways." They are mostly surface streets with a short stretch of freeway like features. Campus Drive is less than a mile, and that stretch of Mason is a hair over a mile.

Lake Parkway in Milwaukee is another one in Wisconsin.

webny99

In the southern Twin Cities metro, the entirety of the MN 77 freeway is also called Cedar Ave. And unlike some of the other examples, it's unambiguously a freeway for 10+ miles.

Great Lakes Roads

Shadeland Ave (Indianapolis)
Keystone Parkway (Carmel)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2024, 03:18:16 PMIn the southern Twin Cities metro, the entirety of the MN 77 freeway is also called Cedar Ave. And unlike some of the other examples, it's unambiguously a freeway for 10+ miles.

That was the example you yourself started the thread with.  :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheStranger

The most amusing one near me is one that really shouldn't count, but CalTrans bothered to put in the "end freeway" and "begin freeway" signs for it:

Skyline Boulevard/Route 35 between Westmoor Avenue in Daly City, and Hickey Boulevard in Pacifica.

Exactly one exit (a full-system interchange between the Route 1 freeway and Skyline with three cloverleaf ramps and one flyover from 1 south to 35 south).
Chris Sampang

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on April 15, 2024, 03:41:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2024, 03:18:16 PMIn the southern Twin Cities metro, the entirety of the MN 77 freeway is also called Cedar Ave. And unlike some of the other examples, it's unambiguously a freeway for 10+ miles.

That was the example you yourself started the thread with.  :bigass:

Oh, so it is... LOL!  :-D    I just clicked on "new" posts and saw that it had been bumped from 2018. That makes me feel old!

steviep24

In Rochester, NY the freeway portion of NY104 from Veterans Memorial Bridge to NY590 is often called the Keeler St Expressway by radio traffic reporters. While Keeler St does cross over NY104 it has no connection with it.

roadman65

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Kenilworth Avenue in Washington, DC is not a street but a full freeway. I figure if it wasn't I'd mention it.

Kenilworth Ave. is part of DC Route 295.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cwf1701

In Macomb County, I-696 is sometimes referred to by the road it was built over, 11 Mile Rd.

Evan_Th

The old Business 40 (current US 421) in Winston-Salem, NC, is called Salem Parkway.

WillWeaverRVA

I-564 is called Admiral Taussig Blvd, the road it was built on top of (formerly VA 170), although a couple of non-freeway pieces of Taussig Blvd still exist, namely VA 337 between Hampton Blvd and I-564, and a short back street between US 460 and VA 165.

VA 27 is a full freeway for its entire length and is named Washington Blvd.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kennyshark64

It's fairly short, but there's Allen Road in Toronto (4.5 miles).  It is along the route of the once-proposed (but never built) Spadina Expressway, which was cancelled in 1971.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Evan_Th on April 17, 2024, 12:56:06 PMThe old Business 40 (current US 421) in Winston-Salem, NC, is called Salem Parkway.

And this street name is most unusual, having been selected in a 2016 contest by NCDOT District 9 requesting suggestions for renaming the freeway.  Thirteen (13) supposedly independent individuals suggested the name "Salem Parkway", and the runner-up name was "Piedmont Corridor".  The section of the former "Green 40" was closed down for reconstruction starting in late 2018, and the  name change wasn't official until after the freeway reopened on February 2, 2020.

bzakharin

I don't know if it's different elsewhere, but in this neck of the woods a parkway is just as likely to be a freeway as not. Of course, in New York state "parkway" also means "no trucks", so there is a difference between freeway parkways and other freeways, but a large chunk of the Garden State Parkway allows trucks.

TheStranger

California's usage of Parkway can be pretty variable too:

Arroyo Seco Parkway (former US 66, now Route 110) fits the New York definition - which makes sense, given its 1943 origins.  Limited-access, trucks not allowed.

Guadalupe Parkway in San Jose (Route 87) is a freeway that is pretty much Interstate-standard and allows trucks, and had SPUIs added to it in the last decade and a half.

Richmond Parkway (approximate corridor of planned Route 93, but not a state route) is a expressway with some intersections and interchanges.

Los Patrones Parkway in Orange County is very much "Yeah, this is a Route 241 full freeway extension, but let's not say it is", kinda like how Presidio Parkway in San Francisco is an 2010s Interstate-standard upgrade of the old US 101 Doyle Drive freeway, but with excessively slow speed limits near the tunnel segments.

Then we have stuff that is straight up surface road (Guadalupe Canyon Parkway in Brisbane/Daly City, Paseo Padre Parkway in Fremont)
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.