News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest construction zone?

Started by vtk, September 05, 2011, 06:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

So, what's the longest construction zone that has existed in the US?  I'm referring to a single project that results in a very long stretch of a road being part of a posted construction zone at one time, with some visible work being done at least somewhere in the project.  The construction of a completely new road doesn't count for this thread.  Having at least one lane closed for the entire construction zone is a plus, and that might as well be a sub-category.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

I was once on US-14 in Wyoming where 16 miles of road had been torn up and there was a pilot car leading traffic, one direction at a time, over dirt.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: vtk on September 05, 2011, 06:13:44 PM
So, what's the longest construction zone that has existed in the US?

Probably somewhere in PennDOTLand.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

allniter89

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 05, 2011, 06:38:25 PM
no doubt!!!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Brandon

Currently, I-80 is under construction from MM 124 to MM 145 (21 miles) in Illinois, but I think I've seen longer in the past.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bryant5493

The longest one that I've been in is I-20 in west Alabama (Cleburne and Calhoun counties), which is about forty (40) miles.

The next longest one that I've been in is I-85 in Fulton and Coweta counties (Ga.), which is about twenty-nine (29) miles.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Scott5114

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 06, 2011, 12:17:37 AM
The longest one that I've been in is I-20 in west Alabama (Cleburne and Calhoun counties), which is about forty (40) miles.

The next longest one that I've been in is I-85 in Fulton and Coweta counties (Ga.), which is about twenty-nine (29) miles.

Be well,

Bryant

The person or business entity making this post (herein referred to as "I") is curious as to why the person or business entity making the post quoted herein (herein referred to as "You") has posted in a manner similar to that of a lawyer or other person who writes contracts, specifically writing the number in words, then following it with the number written in figures. This was done two (2) times.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

I remember a massive reconstruction project on I-84 back in 2004 in the Snake River Valley where IdaDOT converted one of the carriageways into a 65 mph Super-2 (double solid yellow lines, with plastic reflector blades) as they tore up and rebuilt the other carriageway. I don't remember how long it was, but it was on the order of 40 miles.

Bryant5493

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2011, 12:55:52 AM

Be well,

Bryant

The person or business entity making this post (herein referred to as "I") is curious as to why the person or business entity making the post quoted herein (herein referred to as "You") has posted in a manner similar to that of a lawyer or other person who writes contracts, specifically writing the number in words, then following it with the number written in figures. This was done two (2) times.

What?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Scott5114

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 06, 2011, 09:44:04 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 06, 2011, 12:55:52 AM

Be well,

Bryant

What?

Be well,

Bryant

Why are you writing the number two (2) times, once spelled out, and then again in numbers in parenthesis? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bryant5493

^^

Personal preference, to better emphasize the spelled out number.

Be well,

Bryant

andytom

Near 1990, they were doing something on I-90 in IL along almost the entire length of the Northeast Tollway where they had each direction down to one lane.  I remember this particular one because I was stuck behind someone pulling a boat at construction SL-10.  At the tollbooths, there was a mad dash to get around this guy.

PAHighways

Quote from: allniter89 on September 05, 2011, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 05, 2011, 06:38:25 PM
no doubt!!!

Back in 2005, I drove through something like a 20-30 mile long work zone on I-80.  At least it felt like that!

texaskdog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 05, 2011, 06:37:14 PM
I was once on US-14 in Wyoming where 16 miles of road had been torn up and there was a pilot car leading traffic, one direction at a time, over dirt.

I hate those one-lane/pilot car deals.  They always take forever.  We had three in a row on US-89 in South Utah a few weeks ago.

Ian

Quote from: PAHighways on September 06, 2011, 01:58:44 PM
Back in 2005, I drove through something like a 20-30 mile long work zone on I-80.  At least it felt like that!

I remember a similar instance on I-81 between Scranton and the New York line a few years ago. Left lane was closed all the way in between those 2 points (both directions as well) for God knows what. Needless to say, traffic was awful!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mhallack

I-95 in Maine, from the NH border to Bangor. They never work on the portion north of Bangor to Houlton because it's so little traveled, therefore very few travelers to inconvienence. Though right now it's I-295's turn!!

akotchi

Quote from: texaskdog on September 06, 2011, 03:39:26 PM

I hate those one-lane/pilot car deals.  They always take forever.  We had three in a row on US-89 in South Utah a few weeks ago.

I encountered a couple of long ones along U.S. 89 in Arizona when I was out there in mid-July.  One had a pilot vehicle, while the other had just flaggers at either end.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

golden eagle

Actually, that would be eastern Alabama.

allniter89

Quote from: golden eagle on September 07, 2011, 11:30:18 PM

GOOD CATCH golden eagle!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

corco

I had a similar issue in late 2009 going over Togwotee Pass on 26/287 when they rebuilt that road.  I can't remember the exact length but I know it took over an hour and we were going really slow. It was all dirt, some of it one lane and some of it allowing traffic both directions. That was intense!

Bryant5493

My bad. You're right.

Be well,

Bryant

nexus73

US 101 from the 42/101 junction to Bandon is getting a complete repaving, restriping and lots of new guardrail installed this summer.  The length of the construction zone is 17 miles.  That's the longest stretch of construction zone that I have seen in this part of Oregon.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

texaskdog

Quote from: texaskdog on September 06, 2011, 03:39:26 PM

What's even worse, they don't put signs back at the fork so you could go the other way and save half an hour of driving time.

texaskdog

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 08, 2011, 12:56:32 PM

My bad. You're right.

Be well,

Bryant

Well it's kind of a backward state to begin with

Revive 755

Depending upon how one is defining a construction zone, Missouri may have had some pretty longs ones (maybe 50 miles or greater) when upgrading the US 60 and US 67 corridors to expressways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.