News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Status of I-40 Construction in Arkansas?

Started by Brian556, July 18, 2015, 02:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I will probably come through Arkansas in about 3 weeks. What is the status of the construction on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis?
Are there still any two-way sections or lane closures? And, if there are, how much congestion is there typically?

galador

I went through there at the beginning of May, so it may have changed since then, but both directions were fairly clear and well-moving.

There was still construction going on as you get closer to Memphis, and we did have a few delays there, but overall it was much better than it has been in previous years.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

msunat97

The I40 construction to the west of Little Rock is progressing nicely.  Expect potential delays as they demo an old overpass in North Little Rock that connects I-430 NB to I-40 West.  I know it was wide open & complete the further west you get towards Fort Smith.

TravelingBethelite

What is the objective of AR-DOT in this construction?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

US71

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 03, 2015, 09:04:22 PM

If it's west of Little Rock, AHTD is widening I-40 to 6 lanes (3 each direction) so they reconfiguring the bridges.

There was a major project near Russellville with rebuilding bridges, but I think that is mostly finished.

msunat97

The Russellville work is done & it's nice to fly through there at 80+ if you can get a pace car...so I've been told anyway.  Even the 5 miles of I-40 WB construction from I-430 to Hwy 365 moves pretty well except for rush hour times.  Hence the need for 3 lanes.

US 41

Is Arkansas still planning on tolling I-40 between West Memphis and Little Rock? I read a while back how they were considering using tolls to help pay for the project and upkeep 40.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Rothman

Quote from: US 41 on August 05, 2015, 10:02:53 AM
Is Arkansas still planning on tolling I-40 between West Memphis and Little Rock? I read a while back how they were considering using tolls to help pay for the project and upkeep 40.

How would they be able to do so while PA has had so much difficulty with making I-80 toll?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Rothman on August 05, 2015, 10:13:26 AM
Quote from: US 41 on August 05, 2015, 10:02:53 AM

How would they be able to do so while PA has had so much difficulty with making I-80 toll?

At this point, I don't think any Interstate that's not already tolled will ever be tolled, at least if the FHWA has anything to say about it.   :-/

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: msunat97 on August 05, 2015, 09:20:29 AM
The Russellville work is done & it's nice to fly through there at 80+ if you can get a pace car...so I've been told anyway.  Even the 5 miles of I-40 WB construction from I-430 to Hwy 365 moves pretty well except for rush hour times.  Hence the need for 3 lanes.

Over the years, since it's been bumped up to 70, I've driven by at least a hundred troopers laying in wait with my cruise on 78 and not one blue light. But I have had friends nailed for 80 and 81. The proverbial 10mph rule in work. Besides, trying to go much faster between LR and Memphis with governed trucks passing governed trucks relentlessly is an exercise in futility and only leads to more accidents. I-40 screams for a restricted third lane that forbids recreational vehicles, boats, trailers and commercial traffic. I've always thought the biggest hinderance would be the White River crossing and o er pass replacements. I really don't care if they had the jersey barrier it  in places. I never seem to make the trip with out seeing one wreck between LR and Mem, hardly any over the years from LR to Alma. I drove home in the rain on July 4th this year and saw four vehicles in the safety barrier cables between LR and Mem. The insanity I witness as folks gun it in the right land to duck over right behind a goverrned semi in the left lane I s unreal. Even the zig zag maneuver when a cars dash in to the right lane to pass a governed semi attempting to pass two other governed trucks. I'm I leaving out the out of the blue semi lane switch when the semi is obviously frustrated that a safe lane change is impossible as cars on the left keep overtaking it without a  break in traffic, just decides to whip it out anyways so he can take 3 miles to pass another semi. These as common place antics on I-40 between Memphis and LR.

msunat97

I HATE the drive from Little Rock to Memphis on I-40.  It's the worst part of my drive to see my parents in Alabama.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on August 09, 2015, 03:17:32 PM
I HATE the drive from Little Rock to Memphis on I-40.  It's the worst part of my drive to see my parents in Alabama.

Kind of bland, isn't it? That's why I take US 70 half the time ;)

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on August 09, 2015, 09:43:17 PM
Quote from: msunat97 on August 09, 2015, 03:17:32 PM

Kind of bland, isn't it? That's why I take US 70 half the time ;)

I will sneak off on 70 once I clear the Ridge east Of Forrest City, Going west, there's too many towns from FC  to NLRm when there's heavy work going on, US 64 west is best if you are going past LR on I-40. If the major work is east of the Ridge, I'll drop back down on US 49.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: msunat97 on August 05, 2015, 09:20:29 AM
Quote from: US71 on August 04, 2015, 08:57:56 AM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 03, 2015, 09:04:22 PM

If it's west of Little Rock, AHTD is widening I-40 to 6 lanes (3 each direction) so they reconfiguring the bridges.

There was a major project near Russellville with rebuilding bridges, but I think that is mostly finished.

While on the topic  :-D of construction, RmcN 2016 and the AR state map show no Interstate construction state-wide besides         I-530 from Little Rock to Exit 10.

Grzrd

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on August 05, 2015, 03:29:06 PM
I've always thought the biggest hinderance would be the White River crossing and o er pass replacements.
Quote from: Wayward Memphian on December 13, 2015, 08:00:16 PM
Any project on I-40 would involve a major bridge of over the White River(it's not the Mississippi but it's a biggie) which at major flood stage has shut down I- 40 not to mention only 5 lanes each way over the Mississippi at Memphis.
Lower White River at I 40 during major flood stage
(above quote from I-69 Mississippi River Bridge thread)

AHTD is advertising the following project for a January 13, 2016 letting:

THE PURPOSE OF THIS PROJECT IS TO REPLACE THE WHITE RIVER BRIDGE AND CONSTRUCT ROADWAY APPROACHES ON 1.209 MILES OF I-40 IN PRAIRIE COUNTY. THIS PROJECT CONSISTS OF EARTHWORK, ACHM BASE, BINDER, AND SURFACE COURSES, MINOR DRAINAGE STRUCTURES, PIPE SLIP LINING, GUARDRAIL, WIRE FENCE, A CONT. COMP. PLATE GIRDER UNIT BRIDGE (TOTAL LENGTH 2842.18'), MAINTENANCE OF TRAFFIC ITEMS, EROSION CONTROL, AND MISC.ITEMS.

Here is a snip of a map from the Plans:

codyg1985

At least the new bridge appears to be wide enough for three lanes in each direction.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

msunat97

Does it look like I40 will flood again?

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on December 31, 2015, 02:52:01 PM

At this time (2pm CDT) it has not, according to AHTD.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on December 31, 2015, 03:11:03 PM
Quote from: msunat97 on December 31, 2015, 02:52:01 PM

At this time (2pm CDT) it has not, according to AHTD.

No, it will not but the rest area at the White looks like an island, the bridge approaches to Memphis should look interesting for the next two weeks as the river is expected to hit the 4th highest ever reading there solid water from the levee to the Tennessee side. Lot's and lots of moving water.

capt.ron

Looking at the bridge from Google Earth, I would say it needs to go. It's narrow and probably been there since that portion opened up. I do hope the new bridge is wide enough for 3 lanes each way. Considering the semi truck traffic on I-40, ALL of I-40 from Little Rock to West Memphis needs to be 6 lanes (3 per direction) minimum.

Road Hog

What was the White River bridge construction on I-40 in 2012? If they weren't widening it then, it was a complete waste.

codyg1985

I think the approach spans were being replaced.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hawk07

Looking at the document in the link above it calls for a two lane bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.