News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I don't see any need for 11 other than between LV and Phoenix.  A small need up to Reno. I just don't understand why it's needed north of Reno.

sparker

Quote from: kkt on January 30, 2020, 09:25:39 PM
Quote from: sparker on January 30, 2020, 06:40:39 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 30, 2020, 07:49:24 AM
by west i think he means west coast including nevada and az.  and new being main 2 digit route.

It'll be interesting to see how CA responds if I-11 is ever planned within the NE quadrant of the state -- which would probably also be dependent upon OR response as well.  And any new-terrain route not overlaying an existing freeway or expressway facility -- which something along CA's northern reaches of US 395 would definitely be -- would probably elicit howls and protestations from the RE/T crowd, which has had the ear of a sizeable number of CA & OR state officials for some time now -- so that would have to be overcome (or simply ignored, which is unlikely) prior to any concrete plans being formulated.  New Interstates -- particularly when they don't supply a great deal of benefit to the state -- are just not high on Caltrans' priority list; even the likelihood of the preapproved-as-future-Interstate section of CA 99 won't likely see the light of day in most of our lifetimes. 

California has a list as long as your arm of earthquake retrofits to do, and if they ever finish that list they've got a another list of freeways to upgrade where the residents actually want them and they have traffic to justify them.  Upgrading US 395 is not going to make the list, unless somehow Uncle Sugar pays for it.

If an Interstate (ostensibly I-11) were to actually be planned to generally overlay US 395 up to Oregon,  activity toward that end would have already happened -- it's already a designated high priority corridor (#19), which, with Congressional designation amended description, has been the main vehicle for new Interstates over existing corridors (e.g. the southern I-87 over HPC #13, which was originally legislated back with 1991's ISTEA).  But nothing of the sort has been forthcoming; the area through which such a corridor would need to travel is, aside from parts of the Mojave Desert, the most sparsely populated section of CA -- and the folks that are up there don't seem to be in any hurry to entice large-scale development to their region.   And since OR isn't in any hurry to build new-terrain freeways, there's simply no parties along any potential corridor iterations that would likely be able to ramp up support for such a project.  There's only one significant metro area along any of those iterations -- Bend/Redmond, OR -- but even it is well short of the "tipping point" at which pressure can be brought to bear for such an extensive -- and expensive --undertaking.  It's just not going to happen in the near term; I-11 will simply terminate at I-80 near Reno (OK, Fernley!) sometime in the next decade or two. 

The stretch of CA 99 in the San Joaquin Valley certainly meets the criteria of being on the Caltrans list of freeways that are actually wanted by the residents, since most of the cities along its stretch are seeing steady growth -- with some actually seeing outsized growth patterns as a result of being de facto exurban commute destinations.  And the three Caltrans districts (3,6,10) through which that corridor passes are steadily moving to fulfill the 2006 "master plan" for the corridor as fast as funding can be identified (see the CA 99 thread in SW for much more detail!).  Now whether it'll ever get I-7 or I-9 designation has yet TBD; that may yet happen once the substandard features deployed in the '50's and early '60's are dealt with -- but all that will take at least 15-20 years to accomplish -- so unless there's some sort of renewed push from Fresno and/or other Valley communities for Interstate status for 99 that expands into the political realm, it'll simply stay CA 99.  Caltrans won't internally instigate such a move itself; anything of the sort will have to come from outside the agency. 
Quote from: nexus73 on January 30, 2020, 09:10:06 PM
I-11 from Vegas to Reno is a reasonable proposition.  Going north to either Oregon or Idaho via US 95 and US 395 does not have enough traffic volume to justify an Interstate.  1/2 to 1 mile 4-lane passing sections placed 5 miles apart would be enough to handle RV's and trucks along with the passenger vehicles present during the summer for the next few decades.
Rick

Right now the Boise/Treasure Valley metro population is a bit over 850K.  My guess is that when (and if) it hits about 1.25M there may be some pressure for an Interstate-level N-S connector to I-80 to expedite access to the commercial distribution centers in CA.  If the area continues to grow at or slightly above its present rate -- likely in part from CA "refugees" -- that may occur by 2028-2030.   At that point we'll see if the area becomes a "799-pound gorilla" in terms of political clout -- enough to get an Interstate either along US 95 or a NT route to the east off the ground. 

Life in Paradise

If they would run I-11 up east of Reno (perhaps to Exit 83 of I-80) with a spur to the Carson City/Reno area, I-11 could then twin up I-80 to Winnemucca and go up the US-95 corridor into Oregon and to the west side of the Boise metro.  that would keep California out of the mix, minimize the roadwork needed in Oregon, put a bit on Boise (but get them a SB interstate), and still not be too much out of the way for traffic to take I-84 to Portland or I-84/I-82/I-90 into Seattle/Vancouver.

sparker

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 31, 2020, 12:56:37 PM
If they would run I-11 up east of Reno (perhaps to Exit 83 of I-80) with a spur to the Carson City/Reno area, I-11 could then twin up I-80 to Winnemucca and go up the US-95 corridor into Oregon and to the west side of the Boise metro.  that would keep California out of the mix, minimize the roadwork needed in Oregon, put a bit on Boise (but get them a SB interstate), and still not be too much out of the way for traffic to take I-84 to Portland or I-84/I-82/I-90 into Seattle/Vancouver.

Chances are that I-11 will intersect with I-80 just NE of Fernley; in that way there's functionally equal access to both EB (toward Winnemucca) and WB (toward Reno, about 30+ miles distant) without having to put in two separate branches.  From what I've seen of the plan options, most of them specify a wide arc around the southwest side of Fallon to effect the connection.  Taking it right up US 95 to its I-80 west junction would leave Reno (metro about 320K) effectively out of the mix, which probably wouldn't sit too well with area interests and their political arms; Fernley is a reasonable compromise (topology figures into the equation as well). 

The one drawback with a US 95-based routing from I-80 to the Treasure Valley in ID is its OR mileage;  that state would amass only miniscule benefits from the deployment of an Interstate-grade facility -- and that drops to negligible northeast of the OR 78 junction!   Idaho would likely have to kick in most of the construction costs, since they're the ones that would reap any benefits accrued by the upgrade.  Right now there doesn't seem to be any issue with the present corridor; while not optimal in efficiency, US 95 is still serviceable for the time being.  As I stated in the previous post, at least another 400K folks would have to move into that part of ID before the supply chain would start seeing signs of strain.  Except for "spot" fixes, it's unlikely that the corridor will be addressed prior to that occurrence. 

Bobby5280

Quote from: silverback1065I don't see any need for 11 other than between LV and Phoenix. A small need up to Reno. I just don't understand why it's needed north of Reno.

I think the stuff South of Phoenix, trying to duplicate the I-10 link to Tucson and I-19 link to Nogales is not needed at all. Just widen I-10 and I-19 instead! Duh! Tucson does need other super highways, but I-11 doesn't need to be pulled down there. I don't mind if I-11 wraps around the SW quadrant of the Phoenix metro. But it's going to be nothing short of very stupid if US-60 isn't converted to Interstate quality from the NW corner of Loop 303 to I-11.

As for I-11 from Vegas to Reno, that's a little harder to sell (particularly with the route proposed to go to 25+ miles East to Fernley instead of Reno). I-11 North of Reno is an even harder sell. However, I think I-11 could work as a major relief route to I-5 for long distance traffic and commerce headed from the Mexican border region up to the Pacific Northwest. That traffic could avoid much of California. I-11 could work for I-5 very much in the same way I-81 works as a major relief route for I-95 on the Eastern Seaboard.

Right now there is not nearly enough traffic using US-95 between Reno and Las Vegas to upgrade that to Interstate standard just based on traffic counts alone. The same goes for US-95 from I-80 up North approaching the Boise metro area. But here's the thing: the existing highways are little rinky dink 2-lane highways that do not run on any sort of direct path at all. There's next to nothing in terms of services along those desolate highways. Who wants to risk running out of gas out in the middle of nowhere? So everyone from long haul truckers to families on road trips are going to go well out of their way to stay on Interstates. They might burn up a few more gallons of fuel, but at least they know there are plenty of stores along they way. And they know their chances are near nil they'll get in a head on collision when using an Interstate.

So if I-11 went up to the Reno region and then farther Northwest to hook into I-5 somewhere in Southern Oregon I think the route would attract a great deal of traffic and Interstate commerce from Seattle, Portland and even Vancouver, BC.

The Boise area is getting large enough that it could benefit from a 100% Interstate link down Southwest to the Pacific Coast. I don't know why US-95 makes that giant, extremely strange and very wasteful right angle bend in Malheur county, Oregon on the way to Boise. But it really sucks. If an Interstate route was ever built South out of the Boise area to I-80 I would hope they would lop off much of that very stupid angle. To be fair, the Owyhee River in SE Oregon cuts some pretty deep canyons. US-95 crosses the river near the tiny town of Rome, where the river canyon isn't nearly as deep or wide. But with a good bridge set in the right location, the path from Jordan Valley, OR (and other very sharp bend in US-95) down to toward the Nevada/Oregon border town of McDermitt could be set on a far more straight path.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 04, 2020, 10:32:49 PM
Quote from: silverback1065I don't see any need for 11 other than between LV and Phoenix. A small need up to Reno. I just don't understand why it's needed north of Reno.

I think the stuff South of Phoenix, trying to duplicate the I-10 link to Tucson and I-19 link to Nogales is not needed at all. Just widen I-10 and I-19 instead! Duh! Tucson does need other super highways, but I-11 doesn't need to be pulled down there. I don't mind if I-11 wraps around the SW quadrant of the Phoenix metro. But it's going to be nothing short of very stupid if US-60 isn't converted to Interstate quality from the NW corner of Loop 303 to I-11.

As for I-11 from Vegas to Reno, that's a little harder to sell (particularly with the route proposed to go to 25+ miles East to Fernley instead of Reno). I-11 North of Reno is an even harder sell. However, I think I-11 could work as a major relief route to I-5 for long distance traffic and commerce headed from the Mexican border region up to the Pacific Northwest. That traffic could avoid much of California. I-11 could work for I-5 very much in the same way I-81 works as a major relief route for I-95 on the Eastern Seaboard.

Right now there is not nearly enough traffic using US-95 between Reno and Las Vegas to upgrade that to Interstate standard just based on traffic counts alone. The same goes for US-95 from I-80 up North approaching the Boise metro area. But here's the thing: the existing highways are little rinky dink 2-lane highways that do not run on any sort of direct path at all. There's next to nothing in terms of services along those desolate highways. Who wants to risk running out of gas out in the middle of nowhere? So everyone from long haul truckers to families on road trips are going to go well out of their way to stay on Interstates. They might burn up a few more gallons of fuel, but at least they know there are plenty of stores along they way. And they know their chances are near nil they'll get in a head on collision when using an Interstate.

So if I-11 went up to the Reno region and then farther Northwest to hook into I-5 somewhere in Southern Oregon I think the route would attract a great deal of traffic and Interstate commerce from Seattle, Portland and even Vancouver, BC.

The Boise area is getting large enough that it could benefit from a 100% Interstate link down Southwest to the Pacific Coast. I don't know why US-95 makes that giant, extremely strange and very wasteful right angle bend in Malheur county, Oregon on the way to Boise. But it really sucks. If an Interstate route was ever built South out of the Boise area to I-80 I would hope they would lop off much of that very stupid angle. To be fair, the Owyhee River in SE Oregon cuts some pretty deep canyons. US-95 crosses the river near the tiny town of Rome, where the river canyon isn't nearly as deep or wide. But with a good bridge set in the right location, the path from Jordan Valley, OR (and other very sharp bend in US-95) down to toward the Nevada/Oregon border town of McDermitt could be set on a far more straight path.

The reason for that sharp angle of US 95 at the OR 78 junction is the topology of the area east of the highway.   It's not just the Owyhee River canyon, which isn't all that deep, it's more the basalt "badlands" area that while decidedly not acting as a high mountain range barrier, still makes for exceptionally difficult construction.  It's quite similar to the terrain in the John Day area of north-central OR, which has perennially acted as a barrier for a direct route from the Bend/Redmond area to Hermiston/Umatilla (as was discovered during preliminary "scouting" for the 1990's proposal for a freeway SW from the east terminus of I-82).  It's essentially attempting to lay four lanes over a big pile of sharp rocks.  The similarities aren't surprising; both areas feature the rocky terrain as a result of the eruption of Mazama, the huge volcano that after blowing its top collapsed into what is now Crater Lake.  The lava settled over a broad arc east and northeast because of the prevailing winds, and both areas are roughly the same distance from the old volcano.  That being said -- part of the angle could be cut off more or less between Blue Mountain Pass and the Rome area, which would save about 15-20 miles.  Remember, regardless of who ends up paying for such a project, this is Oregon we're talking about -- and "heroic" construction -- in terms of both effort and cost -- through previously undisturbed territory might result in sociopolitical problems that could jeopardize any proposed corridor -- and likely causing at least interminable delays.   Best to shave off some miles through desert range rather than plow through the basalt formations.  The town of Jordan Valley itself could be bypassed to the north without too much difficulty; but for the remainder of the journey north to I-84, if it were my option, I'd keep close to US 95 until Marsing, where such a corridor could turn NE toward 84 along the path of least (physical and political) resistance.   

Sub-Urbanite

I just want to reiterate: There is a less-than-zero chance that Interstate 11 is built in Malheur County. Constructing a new interstate highway is politically impossible in Oregon at this time.

Idaho could literally throw buckets of money at Oregon and there is no chance Oregon would accept it for a new Interstate.

sparker

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 07, 2020, 01:19:17 PM
I just want to reiterate: There is a less-than-zero chance that Interstate 11 is built in Malheur County. Constructing a new interstate highway is politically impossible in Oregon at this time.

Idaho could literally throw buckets of money at Oregon and there is no chance Oregon would accept it for a new Interstate.

If it were within hailing distance from PDX, I'd wholeheartedly agree.  But it wasn't terribly long ago that a N-S freeway from the east end of I-82 via Redmond and Bend and then down US 97 into CA was contemplated.  Even though the RE/T crowd seems to have quite a bit of sway with ODOT and a number of state legislators, they seem to be consumed with matters right in the extended metro area in and south of Portland; there's little initiative aimed elsewhere.  The fact that a freeway along/near the US 95 corridor wouldn't have much effect on the rest of the state in virtually any category might actually be a saving grace here.  And remember that while most of the PDX political "establishment" tends to veer toward the RE/T POV, there's always been some tension between legislators from the remainder of the state who tend to feel shortchanged when it comes to policy matters.  If funding (almost certainly from elsewhere) could be identified, it would be an opportunity to show those legislators that projects "out there" providing at least some interim jobs wouldn't be jeopardized by contrary attitudes emanating from the metro area.   Doing otherwise, if the opportunity were to be presented, would be seen as at least condescending and at worst dismissive of the wishes in the rural part of the state -- possibly fomenting some form of political backlash.

But the phrase used above "at this time" is key; the chances are that the Treasure Valley area won't hit the tipping point until 2028-2030;  and there will be some lag-time before actual activity for a US 95-based corridor commences -- so the odds are that there won't be any activity on this for at least a dozen years.  The matter can be revisited then -- and we'll see what if any attitudinal changes occur over that timeframe.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: sparker on February 07, 2020, 05:07:43 PM

If it were within hailing distance from PDX, I'd wholeheartedly agree.  But it wasn't terribly long ago that a N-S freeway from the east end of I-82 via Redmond and Bend and then down US 97 into CA was contemplated.  Even though the RE/T crowd seems to have quite a bit of sway with ODOT and a number of state legislators, they seem to be consumed with matters right in the extended metro area in and south of Portland; there's little initiative aimed elsewhere.  The fact that a freeway along/near the US 95 corridor wouldn't have much effect on the rest of the state in virtually any category might actually be a saving grace here.  And remember that while most of the PDX political "establishment" tends to veer toward the RE/T POV, there's always been some tension between legislators from the remainder of the state who tend to feel shortchanged when it comes to policy matters.  If funding (almost certainly from elsewhere) could be identified, it would be an opportunity to show those legislators that projects "out there" providing at least some interim jobs wouldn't be jeopardized by contrary attitudes emanating from the metro area.   Doing otherwise, if the opportunity were to be presented, would be seen as at least condescending and at worst dismissive of the wishes in the rural part of the state -- possibly fomenting some form of political backlash.

But the phrase used above "at this time" is key; the chances are that the Treasure Valley area won't hit the tipping point until 2028-2030;  and there will be some lag-time before actual activity for a US 95-based corridor commences -- so the odds are that there won't be any activity on this for at least a dozen years.  The matter can be revisited then -- and we'll see what if any attitudinal changes occur over that timeframe.

It's not about funding right now in Oregon politics. It's all about climate and perceived climate action. Building an interstate highway in rural Oregon would have no political upside for an Oregon governor. I mean, they're not even funding the next round of US 97 freeway projects in the upcoming STIP.

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 11 should run from Interstate 80 in Nevada to Interstate 10 or 8 in Arizona. No need for it to go any further.

sparker

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 07, 2020, 05:36:39 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 07, 2020, 05:07:43 PM

It's not about funding right now in Oregon politics. It's all about climate and perceived climate action. Building an interstate highway in rural Oregon would have no political upside for an Oregon governor. I mean, they're not even funding the next round of US 97 freeway projects in the upcoming STIP.

Like I said, things could change over the next dozen years or so.  If non-fossil-fuel vehicles are dominant -- or at least prevalent -- by 2032-33, some attitudes about mobility and transportation could relax somewhat.  Outside radical urbanist/non-mobility activists, the viewpoints prevalent today are driven by the aggregate transportation mode, which still depends upon fossil fuels (auto, RR, and air transport); the overwhelming reality of that has given pause (especially in OR, which likes to think of itself in the vanguard of progressive thought) to doing anything in the way of enhancing road travel -- local or long-distance -- hell, they can't seem to agree on bringing I-5 out to 3+3 through the Rose Garden!  I did my doctoral work up there (public policy) and lived in PDX for a little over 4 years -- I've seen this play out firsthand in the early '90's.  But if the environment shifts, the attention span of both activists and their public sector counterparts tends to considerably shorten.   I'll concede that at this moment any freeway construction in the state is a non-starter -- but won't concede that this is a permanent condition. 
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 07, 2020, 05:44:56 PM
Interstate 11 should run from Interstate 80 in Nevada to Interstate 10 or 8 in Arizona. No need for it to go any further.

Still think that if & when I-11 is extended, it would likely go to Klamath Falls and then either to Eugene or Bend.  A Boise connector might well be I-13 -- no major casino interests to get spooked! :sombrero:

Bobby5280

Quote from: Sub-UrbaniteI just want to reiterate: There is a less-than-zero chance that Interstate 11 is built in Malheur County. Constructing a new interstate highway is politically impossible in Oregon at this time.

If I were "King of America" and could have my way, I wouldn't send I-11 up that direction anyway. I'd route it along US-395, over the existing freeway going North out of Reno to the California border. Ultimately the goal would be to connect I-11 with I-5. But where is the best place to do that?

Caltrans could try to "Bogart" the North End of I-11, sending the route to Susanville and then across to Redding. It wouldn't be an easy or cheap route to build, considering it would run in the vicinity of Lassen Peak. Another alternative is going to to Klamath Falls and then cutting West to meet I-5 in the Medford-Ashland area. That's way South of the Portland area. I imagine people in the rural areas on the other side of the mountains from Portland might like it if the US-97 corridor was upgraded to Interstate quality at least as far North as Bend. But the closer I-11 would get to the Portland area might translate into making it more difficult to cross the mountains to connect with I-5.

Quote from: Sub-UrbaniteIt's not about funding right now in Oregon politics. It's all about climate and perceived climate action. Building an interstate highway in rural Oregon would have no political upside for an Oregon governor. I mean, they're not even funding the next round of US 97 freeway projects in the upcoming STIP.

I would think building improvements to a highway to get vehicles from point A to point B faster would actually be a good thing, even in terms of fighting climate change. Vehicles idling on a busy highway at traffic signals for crossing surface streets are going to belch out more exhaust than they would if they could breeze over those intersections via freeway style exits.

Whether the new urbanists in the Portland area like it or not there is no realistic, feasible way to build rail lines and other forms of mass transit to reach every freaking American. Personal vehicles are here to stay. The densely populated areas where things like light rail can run are becoming very unaffordable places to live. Don't these people see the freaking homelessness problem and the growing numbers of working homeless? This urban utopia they're selling isn't financially sustainable.

While these people are munching on their avocado toast they're not noticing scores of anonymous shell companies putting money into properties in high population areas across the US. Lord only knows from where this money is coming. In New York City there's literally many thousands of housing units sitting vacant, yet owned like baseball cards, stocks or gold. There are growing concerns about money laundering. I'm pretty worried we're seeing a speculative run-up in real estate even worse than the big scam that happened in the 2000's.

Anyway, if a big market crash happens that will open the doors for the government to get involved with big programs to spur job growth. Infrastructure projects can be a simple and visual way of showing voters "progress."

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^
It'd be a bit more expensive -- hauling equipment into largely roadless territory -- but an alternative -- actually promising a 30-40-mile shorter route -- to an Oregon alignment would be feasible by veering NE away from US 95 via Paradise Valley (more or less along NV 290) and over to the Owyhee Desert, and then north immediately east of the OR/ID state line, overtaking US 95 again after it crosses into ID north of Jordan Valley, OR.  That would leave OR out of the equation altogether.  It would be relatively low-altitude, only rising above 6000 feet twice -- once between Paradise Valley and the Owyhee Desert, and again a bit SE of Jordan Valley.  At least there's a reasonably doable alternative if OR elects to balk when such a corridor is actually considered.   :rolleyes:

splashflash

Quote from: sparker on February 08, 2020, 02:21:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
It'd be a bit more expensive -- hauling equipment into largely roadless territory -- but an alternative -- actually promising a 30-40-mile shorter route -- to an Oregon alignment would be feasible by veering NE away from US 95 via Paradise Valley (more or less along NV 290) and over to the Owyhee Desert, and then north immediately east of the OR/ID state line, overtaking US 95 again after it crosses into ID north of Jordan Valley, OR.  That would leave OR out of the equation altogether.  It would be relatively low-altitude, only rising above 6000 feet twice -- once between Paradise Valley and the Owyhee Desert, and again a bit SE of Jordan Valley.  At least there's a reasonably doable alternative if OR elects to balk when such a corridor is actually considered.   :rolleyes:

Perhaps an alignment from the Owyhee Desert east to Pocatello could be enumerated I-86, giving San Franciscans a straight shot to Yellowstone.  And Idaho does not have qualms to multiplex their freeways, I-84/I-86.  In fifty years?

sparker

Quote from: splashflash on February 08, 2020, 04:11:59 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perhaps an alignment from the Owyhee Desert east to Pocatello could be enumerated I-86, giving San Franciscans a straight shot to Yellowstone.  And Idaho does not have qualms to multiplex their freeways, I-84/I-86.  In fifty years?

An Interstate routing expediting commercial egress to Boise and the Treasure Valley would provide much more in the way of benefits than a "straight shot" from northern CA & NV to Yellowstone.  That being said, if ID and NV could agree that this was a desirable corridor to expand, it would be much simpler to run a facility up US 93 from I-80 at Wells, NV to I-84 near Twin Falls, ID; call it I-13 or a western extension of I-86 or whatever floats the local boat.  But that brings up another concept (pardon the excursion into the fictional -- although such an idea was part of the collection of corridors originally considered for a northern extension of I-11 out of Las Vegas before a US-95-based route was selected by simply appending I-11 to the HPC #68 description):  US 93/NV 318 from north of LV through Ely and Wells and right up to I-84.  That would certainly provide a relatively straight shot for a "I-13" corridor from L.A. and its ports to Boise and vicinity -- although it does next to nothing for traffic originating in Northern California.  Neverless, like I iterated earlier, any such decision won't become relevant for at least a dozen or so years and is dependent upon the projected Treasure Valley growth actually panning out.  I think most of us on the forum have become accustomed to mixed results when it comes to prognostication -- in today's environment, predicting this sort of development is like opening Forrest Gump's box of chocolates -- one never knows what you'll eventually get! ;-)   

splashflash

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I-13 may be a year or two sooner.  Lithium extraction west of Orovada, near Thacker Pass, may be occurring getting the go-ahead:
https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2019-09-25/lithium-americas-provides-update-on-the-thacker-pass-lithium-project

https://www.nnbw.com/news/1-3-billion-lithium-mining-project-takes-shape-in-rural-northern-nevada/

nexus73

Quote from: splashflash on April 24, 2020, 11:01:42 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I-13 may be a year or two sooner.  Lithium extraction west of Orovada, near Thacker Pass, may be occurring getting the go-ahead:
https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2019-09-25/lithium-americas-provides-update-on-the-thacker-pass-lithium-project

https://www.nnbw.com/news/1-3-billion-lithium-mining-project-takes-shape-in-rural-northern-nevada/

The USA really needs that lithium.  Right now China controls almost all of the world's production.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Interesting.  I'm not sure this mining project will generate enough traffic that an interstate will be necessary, though.

splashflash

Quote from: kkt on April 24, 2020, 12:35:06 PM

Interesting.  I'm not sure this mining project will generate enough traffic that an interstate will be necessary, though.

No, certainly not,  but may make an I-13 viable in forty-eight years instead of fifty.

sparker

Quote from: splashflash on April 24, 2020, 03:37:25 PM
Quote from: kkt on April 24, 2020, 12:35:06 PM

No, certainly not,  but may make an I-13 viable in forty-eight years instead of fifty.

If the lithium mine starts generating employment, it might prompt some spot improvements on US 95 north of Winnemucca -- longer passing lanes, maybe even some 4-laning -- but the driving factor on any Interstate-grade development of this corridor (or one parallel to it) will still be the growth factor in the Boise/Treasure Valley area of Idaho.  A number of acquaintances here in the San Jose area have expressed intentions of making the move up that way (particularly as of late!!!); and one of my audio customers is building a substantial house in the foothills north of Eagle, since he's retiring in a couple of years anyway.  Those may simply be anecdotal examples, but it's hard not to "sniff out" the local level of discontent that may well drive a "diaspora" of sorts to inland areas with lower cost structures; how extensive that'll be over the next 20-25 years remains to be seen.   

rte66man

Quote from: nexus73 on April 24, 2020, 12:01:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

The USA really needs that lithium.  Right now China controls almost all of the world's production.

Rick

Since when? The biggest lithium mine in the world is/was in Chile. There are still sizable active lithium mines in Gaston County, NC. According to Wikipedia, Australia produced more than the rest of the world combined in 2018.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

sparker

Quote from: rte66man on April 27, 2020, 02:11:48 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rick

Since when? The biggest lithium mine in the world is/was in Chile. There are still sizable active lithium mines in Gaston County, NC. According to Wikipedia, Australia produced more than the rest of the world combined in 2018.

Gee -- lithium deposits in northern Nevada.   Elon Musk's nascent battery fab plant in northern Nevada.  Wonder if there's any sort of connection here? 

Historically, this isn't N. NV's first rodeo with relatively rare minerals used in electronics.  Back in the early 60's, when incandescent light bulbs and vacuum-tube-based electronics were the default standards, there was a shortage of tungsten, used for lighting/heating filaments for both products; while there were smallish deposits near Lovelock, NV, we purchased most of our supply from Canada -- but the Diefenbaker government there was bristling at the fact that most of their production migrated south of the border, so they slapped export fees on the stuff.  Well, wouldn't you know -- about '61 or so a major tungsten-ore field was found in the hills along the South Vietnam/Cambodia border.  So we offered the Thieu government (regime) in SVN help with their military efforts to secure the area, which was the locale of much rebel activity, so that extraction facilities could be safely built.  Of course, as history shows, that mission was eventually conflated into what is now termed the Vietnam War, with the "mission" restated as saving a country rather than gaining commercial advantage.  And because of the expanded conflict, no substantial tungsten mines were built -- and by the end of the '60's, most commercial electronics had moved or were moving to solid state rather than tube-based (one could argue "chicken vs. egg" dynamics for that change!).  And it was really funny (in a somewhat grotesque sense) that after major troop commitment in '65, the subject of the original tungsten-seeking foray into the area was noticeably absent from news from the region -- like it never happened.   Eventually the US-Canada situation was resolved, and although tubes were on the wane (except for musical instrument amplification and high-end specialty audio), light bulbs hung around for another 40 years.   Ironically, most of the current NV production of tungsten goes as export to South America and Japan for bulbs and, yes, some tubes (Matsushita/Panasonic maintains a modest tube production facility). 

nexus73

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rick

I have read where China supplies over 90% of the lithium in the world.  They put a chokehold on Japan, who needs the lithium for the battery packs they manufacture.  I will chalk up the difference in what is perceived as fact to "dueling sources".  Mine were reputable AFAIK, thus the statement I wrote.  Sorry, no linky for you as I never did expect to argue what seemed like such an obvious point any more than I would save one for saying the sky is blue on a sunny day.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

Quote from: nexus73 on April 27, 2020, 06:36:07 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rick

I have read where China supplies over 90% of the lithium in the world.  They put a chokehold on Japan, who needs the lithium for the battery packs they manufacture.  I will chalk up the difference in what is perceived as fact to "dueling sources".  Mine were reputable AFAIK, thus the statement I wrote.  Sorry, no linky for you as I never did expect to argue what seemed like such an obvious point any more than I would save one for saying the sky is blue on a sunny day.

Rick
[citation needed]

rte66man

Quote from: nexus73 on April 27, 2020, 06:36:07 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rick

Rick

https://www.miningglobal.com/top10/top-10-lithium-producers (2017)
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/12/24/2-lithium-stocks-for-2020.aspx (2020)
  -references the 2 largest lithium companies in the world.
https://investingnews.com/daily/resource-investing/battery-metals-investing/lithium-investing/lithium-producing-countries/ (2019)

Good enough for you?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.