News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State to fix then hand over M-108

Started by bulldog1979, April 29, 2010, 08:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog1979

It seems that M-108's days are currently numbered. An edit to the article on Wikipedia prompted me to confirm the announcement.

State to fix then hand over M-108
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010, 9:04 am
By Steve Zucker News-Review Staff Writer

MACKINAW CITY – One of the shortest state highways in the state will soon become a local road but only after completion of a reconstruction project that is slated to start Monday.

Michigan Department of Transportation officials said the project will involve reconstructing, widening and repaving M-108 (also known as Mackinaw Trail and Nicolet Street).

<http://petoskeynews.com/news/article_d32b6e24-538f-11df-bd3f-001cc4c002e0.html>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-108_(Michigan_highway)>

rawmustard

I remember seeing the MDOT presser on this, but of course they left out the part about the turnback. As for the widening, I'm sure it is highly welcome.

Hellfighter

That sounds alright. From what I remember from being on M-108, there wasn't a lot of traffic. But what about the Rest Area north of US-23?

bulldog1979

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 29, 2010, 11:39:55 PM
That sounds alright. From what I remember from being on M-108, there wasn't a lot of traffic. But what about the Rest Area north of US-23?

What about it? It will close for the first phase of reconstruction on Nicolet, but it will reopen in time for Memorial Day. There's no reason that MDOT has to maintain jurisdiction of the roadway to maintain the Welcome Center.

Hellfighter

Quote from: bulldog1979 on April 29, 2010, 11:53:30 PM
Quote from: Hellfighter on April 29, 2010, 11:39:55 PM

What about it? It will close for the first phase of reconstruction on Nicolet, but it will reopen in time for Memorial Day. There's no reason that MDOT has to maintain jurisdiction of the roadway to maintain the Welcome Center.

Oh yeah, forgot about the ramp to the welcome center!

leifvanderwall

I'm very familiar with M-108 and I will be sorry to see it go because there are many tourist attractions in Mackinaw City. What I would like to see is there be a Business spur of US 23 that takes a loop around the town to end at the Fort. I think the decommissioning is a sign that the state is not confident that many tourists will visit Mackinaw City much less go across the Mackinaw Bridge to see the Upper Peninsula. And it's obvious that Michigan is decommissioning many short routes to save some MDOT money and letting the county be the main maintenance provider.

rawmustard

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 30, 2010, 12:06:05 PM
I'm very familiar with M-108 and I will be sorry to see it go because there are many tourist attractions in Mackinaw City. What I would like to see is there be a Business spur of US 23 that takes a loop around the town to end at the Fort. I think the decommissioning is a sign that the state is not confident that many tourists will visit Mackinaw City much less go across the Mackinaw Bridge to see the Upper Peninsula. And it's obvious that Michigan is decommissioning many short routes to save some MDOT money and letting the county be the main maintenance provider.

Tourists aren't going to care what agency maintains a certain street through Mackinaw City. As long as the attractions still exist, people will get to them. The roads get turned back to localities precisely because they'll be better able to maintain them and not required to be a state trunkline to serve its purpose. M-108 is just one of a handful of routes to serve ferries which are no longer existent. I would expect the rest of them to be turned back as MDOT and the localities are able to afford them.

bulldog1979

Quote from: rawmustard on April 30, 2010, 12:56:14 PM
Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 30, 2010, 12:06:05 PM

Tourists aren't going to care what agency maintains a certain street through Mackinaw City. As long as the attractions still exist, people will get to them. The roads get turned back to localities precisely because they'll be better able to maintain them and not required to be a state trunkline to serve its purpose. M-108 is just one of a handful of routes to serve ferries which are no longer existent. I would expect the rest of them to be turned back as MDOT and the localities are able to afford them.

M-168 is also similarly on the future chopping block. M-168 served as a connector to a ferry in Elberta. The ironic thing, at least to me, is that M-108 was once completely decommissioned in 1957. Prior to decommissioning, it had three legs: one to Fort Michilimackinac, a second to the ferry docks and the third to US 31. M-108 completely encompassed Nicolet Street at the time, with a connection along Central Avenue. This was all turned back as MSHD was rerouting highways in preparation for the opening of the Mackinac Bridge, and only a few years later did they recommission it along the current route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.