News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest Interstate You Haven't Been On

Started by adwerkema, September 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I-75 for me. I've crossed it at two separate locations (Dayton and Toledo), but I've not driven any of its mileage.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

I-11 and I-22 are the only 2dis in the continental US I have never been on any segment of. So I-22 is the answer.

As for US highways, there are a total of 25 of those I have not been on (excluding directional suffixed splits). US 550, at 298.36 miles (per TravelMapping data), is the longest.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cjk374

Quote from: ET21 on September 19, 2018, 08:49:16 AM
I-35 I briefly used I-35W during my last Twin Cities trip

So mine would be I-10

I wouldn't count suffixed routes as part of the main route for this discussion whether it is mileposted or legislatively defined or not. Just me being me.

If you drive I-35E or W, seeing their reassurance assemblies, but never have driven I-35 and seen its reassurance assemblies, then (my opinion) you haven't driven any of I-35.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Beltway

Quote from: cjk374 on September 20, 2018, 08:27:15 AM
I wouldn't count suffixed routes as part of the main route for this discussion whether it is mileposted or legislatively defined or not. Just me being me.
If you drive I-35E or W, seeing their reassurance assemblies, but never have driven I-35 and seen its reassurance assemblies, then (my opinion) you haven't driven any of I-35.

But what if you drove on I-35E in Dallas?  Does I-35 even conceptually not exist in the DFW area?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ET21

Quote from: Beltway on September 20, 2018, 08:47:49 AM

But what if you drove on I-35E in Dallas?  Does I-35 even conceptually not exist in the DFW area?

Depends on if that is officially labeled legislatively and mileposts as the main I-35 routing like what froggie said about I-35E in St. Paul.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Beltway

Quote from: ET21 on September 20, 2018, 10:28:15 AM
Depends on if that is officially labeled legislatively and mileposts as the main I-35 routing like what froggie said about I-35E in St. Paul.

This what Wikipedia says on article Interstate 35E (Texas) --

Interstate 35E (I-35E), an Interstate Highway, is the eastern half of I-35 where it splits to serve the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area. I-35 splits into two branch routes, I-35W and I-35E at Hillsboro.  I-35E travels northward for 97 miles (156 km), maintaining I-35's sequence of exit numbers.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

lordsutch

In my case, I'm pretty sure it's I-29.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2018, 03:54:53 PM
^ Technically, I-35W in the Twin Cities is separate from I-35.  I-35 "follows" I-35E through St. Paul both legislatively and via mileposts.

So then my plan to change I-35W to I-33 would be easier to implement because I hate letter suffixes  :hyper: :hyper:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

TheCatalyst31

I-20 for me.

Quote from: ET21 on September 19, 2018, 08:49:16 AM
I-35 I briefly used I-35W during my last Twin Cities trip

So mine would be I-10

This discussion is moot anyway, since I-10 is longer than I-35.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

I've never driven on I-90. I may have been on it as a passenger during either a trip to Niagara Falls or Rochester or both, or neither. Again possibly while in the Cleveland area. Barring that, I-40. The longest N-S is I-75

TheHighwayMan3561

I consider 35E to be 35 in both cases, so I'd count driving on 35E but not either 35W as 35.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Beltway

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 20, 2018, 04:17:01 PM
I consider 35E to be 35 in both cases, so I’d count driving on 35E but not either 35W as 35.

I drove thru the DFW area in 1972 east-west on the turnpike and what was then I-20 thru downtown Dallas (today's I-30).  Looks like I overlapped a mile of I-35E, so it looks like I have driven a part of I-35 after all.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Buck87

catch22

I-20 for me.

I've been on at least some part of every I-x0 and I-x5 except this one and I-45.

michravera

Quote from: adwerkema on September 15, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
I was curious what mine was. Looked it up, and found out it was I-25. Odd, considering I've been through all three states I-25 is in.

What's yours?

I believe that I have been on (or at crossed at right angles) all of the interstates that are over about 1000 km. Some of this was before they were designated as interstates or fully constructed. Most of my coast-to-coast driving travel occurred in 1975. I could be missing I-20 or I-30, but I believe that I crossed it at right angles in 2015.

Duke87

To take this a step further: if you count directional splits as separate routes, is the unsuffixed version all one route or are there two routes with the same number on either side of the directional split?

This makes no difference in my case for interstates but it does for US routes - US 45 south of where it splits into US 45W and US 45E is longer than US 550, and I have never been on any of it down there. So if we consider this to be a separate "southern US 45" (much as there are two separate routes numbered I-76, 84, 86, 87, and 88), that would then take on the title of longest US route I have never been on.

This is why I deliberately specified "excluding directional splits". For the purpose of this exercise it is more straightforward if US 45, 45W, and 45E all count as "US 45", and I would say that is fair in general.

The one exception I might make is US 9W... since there is no corresponding 9E. US 9 has a single distinct path and US 9W has a different path, thus making it a distinct US route of its own.
(trivia: there was a US 9W/9E pair on either side of the Hudson from 1926 to 1930, after that 9E became plain 9)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mrcmc888

For me it's I-20, despite passing it in Atlanta frequently I've never been on any of it.

froggie

FWIW, FHWA considers the I-35E branches to be part of I-35.

webny99

I haven't been on I-5, I-15, or I-25. I was surprised to learn, however, that I-20 is actually longer than all of the aforementioned I-X5's, so I guess it takes the cake in my case.
Other than that, I have been on every I-X0 except I-30, which is fairly short and therefore not really a contender. I have never been on I-65 or I-85, either, but those are considerably shorter than their counterparts out west.

Discussion of I-35/I-35E/I-35W seems to be a theme here... so I might as well add that, yes, I have been on I-35 (no suffix) and both I-35W and I-35E in the Twin Cities area - multiple times.  :-P

TheHighwayMan3561

In 45's case, it appears W continues the mileposts from mainline 45 while E is a separate route.

Everybody has their own rules, which is fine, but it's clear that one branch is intended to be the spiritual successor while the other one is otherwise entirely a separate route. When I clinched I-35, I made it a point to take 35E through DFW, and would not have considered 35 clinched if I had taken 35W instead.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 22, 2018, 03:52:52 PM
In 45's case, it appears W continues the mileposts from mainline 45 while E is a separate route.

Tennessee is special, because the US routes have hidden state routes, and the mileposts are for the state routes. Also, in Tennessee, mileposts on non-interstates reset at county lines.

For me, I consider them discontinuous routes if they have a suffixed pair in the middle, and those suffixed pairs are two separate routes. Say you're driving US 31 south out of Michigan and Indiana, and you get to their split in Louisville. (Which is a bit complicated, because there are a bunch of one-way streets carrying the two split routes.) It does not matter if you take 31E, 31-Dub by the infamous little green shrub, or get on I-65, to get to Nashville. If you pick up US 31 at the point where the routes rejoin and follow 31 all the way to its terminus, it has been clinched or traveled on.

If you have traveled only on US 31E or US 31W, you have not traveled on US 31. (And I realize we're talking about Interstates in this thread, and there's a specific mention made of the I-35 situation, but someone mentioned the US routes.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

About the I-35 splits, I consider I-35 not to exist between Hillsboro and Denton TX and between Burnsville and Lino Lakes MN. So I consider three separate I-35s exist.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 22, 2018, 03:52:52 PM

Everybody has their own rules, which is fine, but it's clear that one branch is intended to be the spiritual successor while the other one is otherwise entirely a separate route. When I clinched I-35, I made it a point to take 35E through DFW, and would not have considered 35 clinched if I had taken 35W instead.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 22, 2018, 04:29:12 PM
About the I-35 splits, I consider I-35 not to exist between Hillsboro and Denton TX and between Burnsville and Lino Lakes MN. So I consider three separate I-35s exist.

Not to give yet another opinion, but I consider only one I-35 to exist, and it comprises both the W and E branches. So, I wouldn't consider I-35 to be clinched unless I had driven both the W and the E in both Texas and Minnesota.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 22, 2018, 07:54:50 PM
Not to give yet another opinion, but I consider only one I-35 to exist, and it comprises both the W and E branches. So, I wouldn't consider I-35 to be clinched unless I had driven both the W and the E in both Texas and Minnesota.

That is probably how my views lie on the suffixed I-35 thing. In criteria for me personally clinching I-35, I would either require that I took at least one suffix and clinch it (such as driving all of both I-35Ws or all of both I-35Es), or all of both. For the clinching part, I would probably do the former.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.