AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Road themed decor  (Read 1301 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
Road themed decor
« on: August 27, 2018, 07:35:35 PM »

Does anyone else use any road based/themed decor in their home?  I use a bunch of my signs as decoration for the garage, office, and backyard.  Generally I try to theme the signs for whatever state I happen to be living in.  I also use tires of all sizes for various outdoor purposes like planters or even as part of a dog house.  On occasion I’ve also posted maps on cork boards in place of paintings for places like a den.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
Re: Road themed decor
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »

Heh. May we presume you're single?  :-D

I do have some old license plates up in the garage, along with a British street sign and a Tube station sign. I should ask my father whether he no longer wants the moose crossing sign that used to hang in his garage–I'd put that on the other side of our garage. It's similar to the one seen below but without the other sign beneath it. The moose on his sign looks somewhat "bolder," for lack of a better word–thicker details. I believe he had it shipped from a place in Toronto back in 1986–we had been on a family vacation around Ontario, ranging as far north as Moosonee and Moose Factory, and we kept seeing those signs and he liked them so much he found a place to buy one.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »

Surprisingly no I’m not actually, the Mrs. and I just had an agreement that the garage and back yard would be my area if I renovated both.  The backyard was essentially just a swath of dirt that I put a patio, garden, and dog run in.  The garage needed to be sorted and organized which took a surprisingly long time to do.  This is the end result of the garage project, the rest of my Signs are in packs on the opposite side of the car:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I’ll have to get a picture but this sign ended up in the garden which appropriate given the Blossom Trail is touring route through crop fields:

https://flic.kr/p/24KnX5w
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:37:32 PM by Max Rockatansky »

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »

A few of my signs are hanging up around the house. I have two in my living room. My ex liked them.
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• If I wasn't there, your roadmeet didn't occur

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:32 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:23:58 AM »

Growing up, my dad decided to wall paper our kitchen with various road maps & National Geographic inserts.
After all us kids moved out, the maps got covered up with wainscoting.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: December 07, 2019, 06:54:22 PM
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 12:32:05 AM »

Before I moved out of my parents' house, I used to have a speed limit sign, US 66 sign, and a Wisconsin license plate in my room.

This was back when I also wanted to collect license plates but I only collected two (WI and CA). Maybe I should start back up again. It's something I've wanted to do for awhile now.
Forget the I-41 haters

US 81

• Last Login: March 03, 2024, 09:28:40 AM
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 06:40:19 AM »

My father was a police officer in the small town where I grew up. On rare occasions, he would work a collision where he saved a sign that would have otherwise been thrown away. He brought me a STOP sign and a DIP sign which hung on my wall growing up.

For years I have planned to have a map-road sign-themed decor for my office. I still hope to make it happen, although there always seems to be more urgent things to do.  Someday....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:44:05 AM by US 81 »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.