AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Radio Shack files Chapter 11, stores to close  (Read 14805 times)

apjung

• Andy P. Jung on misc.transport.road

• Location: Metairie, Louisiana, USA and born in Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
  • Last Login: August 29, 2023, 04:06:35 PM
    • Welcome to JungWorld.com!
Re: Radio Shack files Chapter 11, stores to close
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »

AutoZone should have bought out RadioShack so they can legally change their name back to AutoShack. I still remember the spat that Tandy Corporporation ("Goliath") had with AutoShack ("David") back in the 1980s which forced them to change their name to AutoZone. It would have been sweet revenge had AutoZone thought about buying up RadioShack that the "David" and "Goliath" roles are now reversed.

When I would hear the slogan in the AutoZone commercials, I would say "Get in the Shack, AutoShack!" as if I was living in an alternate reality where AutoZone kept their original name.

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: Today at 03:29:22 PM
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »

AutoZone should have bought out RadioShack so they can legally change their name back to AutoShack.

The better revenge (and more lousy-reputation-shedding move) would be to change Radio Shack's name to Radio Zone.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: February 02, 2024, 08:18:30 PM
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »

AutoZone should have bought out RadioShack so they can legally change their name back to AutoShack. I still remember the spat that Tandy Corporporation ("Goliath") had with AutoShack ("David") back in the 1980s which forced them to change their name to AutoZone. It would have been sweet revenge had AutoZone thought about buying up RadioShack that the "David" and "Goliath" roles are now reversed.

When I would hear the slogan in the AutoZone commercials, I would say "Get in the Shack, AutoShack!" as if I was living in an alternate reality where AutoZone kept their original name.
I'm missing something.  The Auto Zones in MA were previously known as Auto Palaces and were originally known as ADAPs (American Discount Auto Parts).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 05:01:22 PM »

I'm missing something.  The Auto Zones in MA were previously known as Auto Palaces and were originally known as ADAPs (American Discount Auto Parts).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoZone

"In 1998, AutoZone acquired 112 Auto Palace stores in six states in the northeastern United States"

Pete from Boston

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »

And 15 years after ending a 40-year ride with its unstable significant other, lowly Tandy lives to see another day:

www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 10:16:03 PM
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »

I finally discovered how to identify the franchises over the corporate owned stores.  The franchises all have the word "Dealer" next the name Radio Shack on the store sign.

I found out that one store near me was not selling out, and he had the old style logo with dealer on his overhead sign over the building within a strip mall in Kissimmee. 

Apparently its the corporate stores selling out, but the franchised owned stores are still staying in business.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:22:54 PM
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »

It sounds odd at first, but technology killed Radio Shack.

In the past, Radio Shack was the place you went to for electronic parts - capacitors and resistors and the like. Or odd audio cables and adapters. Maybe a TV antenna and coax cable.

Then everything went digital and wireless and disposable. Today, there is nothing that Radio Shack sells in a store that I cannot get elsewhere - and likely get cheaper.

Had they consolidated stores some time ago, they might have been able to salvage themselves.

At this point, the vultures are beginning to circle, waiting for the inevitable markdowns and clearance sales.

I was confused when I read that General Wireless was going to put Sprint stores in many of those company-owned stores - and that the Sprint 'store' would only take up about 30% of the floor space. What are they going to do with the remainder?

Technology didn't kill Radio Shack.  Their inability to adapt to technology did.  Blockbuster went under when they could have been the original redbox. 

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 09:54:53 PM »

Wall Street Journal: RadioShack’s Future to Be Decided at Bankruptcy Auction - Standard General plan calls for working with Sprint to save 1,723 stores

RadioShack Corp.’s fate hangs in the balance Monday when a bankruptcy auction kicks off, pitting companies that want to liquidate the electronic retailer’s remaining assets against a hedge fund that has pledged to keep about half the chain’s stores open.

There is little doubt hedge fund Standard General LP is the sole hope of survival for the company that introduced generations of consumers to electronic toys from ham radios, walkie-talkies, citizens-band radios and calculators to computers and cellphones.

Other than liquidators, no other contenders surfaced in weeks of heavy marketing or in the year before the February bankruptcy filing./quote]

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

txstateends

• Location: north TX, not far from an interstate interchange and a US terminus
  • Last Login: June 05, 2019, 11:30:28 AM
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 07:42:23 AM »

Amazingly enough, the name Radio Shack is planned to return to the retail landscape.

They have deals with the HobbyTown chain, as well as store-in-a-store sections of other retail stores.  The company is now privately-held (no stock, no shareholders, no wild Wall Street swings), and is looking for franchised "dealer" operations.

http://www.fortworthbusiness.com/news/radioback-fort-worth-electronics-retailer-returns-from-the-brink/article_a7f0261e-975b-11e8-91b3-3b746840ba1d.html
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »

Amazingly enough, the name Radio Shack is planned to return to the retail landscape.

They have deals with the HobbyTown chain, as well as store-in-a-store sections of other retail stores.  The company is now privately-held (no stock, no shareholders, no wild Wall Street swings), and is looking for franchised "dealer" operations.

http://www.fortworthbusiness.com/news/radioback-fort-worth-electronics-retailer-returns-from-the-brink/article_a7f0261e-975b-11e8-91b3-3b746840ba1d.html
I think they tried to do the same thing with Circuit City. To date, it hasn’t gone anywhere.

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 09:16:30 PM »

I use to rely on Radio Shack back when I was heavy into the CB radio. I'm not really into CB's much anymore but would love to hook one up and see if there is anyone still on the radio. Cell phones obviously took over for CB's.

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 03:00:28 PM »

I use to rely on Radio Shack back when I was heavy into the CB radio. I'm not really into CB's much anymore but would love to hook one up and see if there is anyone still on the radio. Cell phones obviously took over for CB's.
Considering they still sell CB accessories at truck stops, someone must be. As our more rural members frequently remind us, cell phone coverage isn’t available everywhere.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »

Considering they still sell CB accessories at truck stops, someone must be. As our more rural members frequently remind us, cell phone coverage isn’t available everywhere.

And truckers don't know the cell numbers of all the other truckers out there. Given the fact that radar detectors are illegal in big rigs, they just about have to use CBs to know the locations of cops. Waze isn't reliable when the cop's on the move.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.