News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Austin: US 290 Oak Hill Y project

Started by MaxConcrete, May 04, 2018, 12:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXtoNJ

Pretty sure that alignment was abandoned when they designed the 1990s 620 bridge to be freeway-ready

thisdj78

Quote from: TXtoNJ on January 27, 2022, 11:12:04 AM
Pretty sure that alignment was abandoned when they designed the 1990s 620 bridge to be freeway-ready

There's no ROW south of that bridge though, especially as you get closer to 71/Bee Caves.

aboges26

Quote from: thisdj78 on January 27, 2022, 12:37:33 PM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on January 27, 2022, 11:12:04 AM

There's no ROW south of that bridge though, especially as you get closer to 71/Bee Caves.

TXDOT is no stranger to pushing a freeway through something like that, that whole stretch is no more developed nor encroaching as the Brownfield Highway was in Lubbock before they turned it into the Marsha Sharp Freeway.  It looks like it could be done minimally with barely any ROW takes and end up with a controlled access 2-2-2-2 frontage road set up, but I suspect when the time comes they will get the ROW to comfortably expand out to 2-3-3-2 if need be.

TheBox

If a Giddings bypass ever happens, should it go and bypass north above or south below?
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

TXtoNJ

Quote from: TheBox on February 10, 2022, 11:23:20 AM
If a Giddings bypass ever happens, should it go and bypass north above or south below?

North minimizes residential takings, so it's almost certainly the path they'll choose

thisdj78

Quote from: TXtoNJ on February 10, 2022, 11:31:09 AM

North minimizes residential takings, so it's almost certainly the path they'll choose

Has there been any official talk or proposal of a bypass yet?

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

thisdj78

aboges26

Seeing that the high school is on the north side they should automatically go south, but being TXDOT they will make sure the route goes as close to the high school as possible.

thisdj78

Quote from: aboges26 on February 27, 2022, 12:55:29 PM

Seeing that the high school is on the north side they should automatically go south, but being TXDOT they will make sure the route goes as close to the high school as possible.

There seems to be plenty of ROW to run a bypass between the school and the town and it still not be too close to the campus:

kernals12

Texas Hill Country is a beautiful area. It would be a shame if we wake up one day to find the main road through it littered with strip malls and advertisements for vacation homes.

US 290 should be converted into a limited access divided parkway. There'd be no outdoor advertising allowed beyond the most essential signs for business identification and development would have to follow strict regulations to preserve the aesthetics of the corridor.

Bobby5280

A state DOT or toll road authority's jurisdiction over sign codes is somewhat limited. They can't do all that much about signs and billboards that are erected outside of the highway's right of way. That comes down to city and county sign codes as well as zoning ordinances for commercial, residential or industrial property. Here in Oklahoma, tribal governments can have their say on things like how many billboards can be installed every so and such many feet. Just look at the parade of double-stack and 4-stack billboards next to I-44 just North of the Medicine Park exit.

Then there are recent court cases that have shot giant sized holes through many types of sign ordinances. One example, Reed v. Town of Gilbert ruled that any content-based regulation for signs was a violation of the first amendment. A town's sign code can't treat the sign of one type of business different than another category of business. Then there is the matter that on premise signs are by far one of the most important marketing tools for a brick and mortar business. Severe restrictions on what kind of sign a business can install will hurt that business.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kernals12 on August 26, 2022, 07:49:32 PM
Texas Hill Country is a beautiful area. It would be a shame if we wake up one day to find the main road through it littered with strip malls and advertisements for vacation homes.

US 290 should be converted into a limited access divided parkway. There'd be no outdoor advertising allowed beyond the most essential signs for business identification and development would have to follow strict regulations to preserve the aesthetics of the corridor.

Eh, it's pretty-ish.  Thing is there is like 200 miles of it in every direction.  Turning US-290 to a freeway from Austin to Segovia will take from a very very very small portion of it.  I want to see it and don't want the aesthetics to get in the way.  You want to look at the hill country, that's great.  Exit the freeway and enjoy!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 29, 2022, 05:03:06 PM
Turning US-29 to a freeway from Austin to Segovia will take from a very very very small portion of it.  I want to see it and don't want the aesthetics to get in the way.  You want to look at the hill country, that's great.  Exit the freeway and enjoy!

Since when US-29 had been extended from Florida to Texas? ;)

MaxConcrete

The full length of the project  is now a large-scale construction zone

The first piers are up at William Cannon road.
http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20221026-austin_043-1600.JPG

This view is going west, west of the SH 71 split.
http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20221026-austin_047-1600.JPG

Eastbound approaching SH 71
http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20221026-austin_061-1600.JPG
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bwana39

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 30, 2022, 09:54:29 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 29, 2022, 05:03:06 PM
Turning US-29 to a freeway from Austin to Segovia will take from a very very very small portion of it.  I want to see it and don't want the aesthetics to get in the way.  You want to look at the hill country, that's great.  Exit the freeway and enjoy!

Since when US-29 had been extended from Florida to Texas? ;)

Somehow, he must not have completely failed. They didn't make a zero.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

TheBox

nothing new, just more details on the freeway of the Oak Hill Parkway
https://www.fox7austin.com/news/oak-hill-parkway-project-us-290-sh-71-austin-texas

also it's already been a year of construction there already
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

Bobby5280

The article mentions the intersection of two freeways at Oak Hill? The "Y" split with US-290 and TX-71 will sort of seem like a split of two freeways, but AFAIK TX-71 will drop down to its current 5-lane not-divided configuration after leaving US-290 toward Bee Cave.

The article has the usual comments from people complaining about the disruptions caused by construction. Most will like the finished project though (even if they don't want to admit it). More of those disruptions from construction are sure to happen farther West. US-290 already needs to be widened in a similar manner past the current project end at the Circle Drive Y. TX DOT might be able to squeeze a freeway in the existing US-290 ROW going past the Belterra Village shopping center. A new terrain route will be necessary to get around Dripping Springs.

Echostatic

The direct connector ramps between 290 and 71 take so long to rejoin the 71 mainlanes that the highway will function as a bit of a super two. The connectors bridge over two cross streets. They may also just be referring to "two freeways" in the sense that both 290 and 71 are designations on the Ben White freeway.
Travelled in part or in full.

MaxConcrete

TxDOT has scheduled a public meeting for the freeway extension west of the Oak Hill Y project.

The news in this announcement is that the west project limit extends to "just west of RM 12 in Dripping Springs".  This means it will need to go through or around Dripping Springs. We should find out the plan when the meeting materials are posted next month. For those not familiar, the intersection at US 290 and RM 12 in Dripping Springs is severely congested.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

kernals12

Quote from: MaxConcrete on December 18, 2023, 02:14:38 PM
TxDOT has scheduled a public meeting for the freeway extension west of the Oak Hill Y project.

The news in this announcement is that the west project limit extends to "just west of RM 12 in Dripping Springs".  This means means it will need to through or around Dripping Springs. We should find out the plan when the meeting materials are posted next month. For those not familiar, the intersection at US 290 and RM 12 in Dripping Springs is severely congested.

I'm glad they're doing that. The current road is a death trap.

Echostatic

Now that'll be one hell of a project. US 290 is a very developed corridor in Dripping Springs. I'll be interested to see how they squeeze a freeway through.

The updated fact sheet has an environmental decision scheduled for just next year. If they can pull that off in such an anti-freeway environment I'll be very impressed. It seems like the design is pretty far along, though; TxDOT already has acquisition estimates up.
QuoteThe proposed project would, subject to final design considerations, require additional right of way and potentially displace 12 residences and 83 non-residential structures.

EDIT: I also see now on the fact sheet that a "planning and feasibility study" was completed in 2020. That must have been internal because I haven't heard a peep about it as a nearby resident.
Travelled in part or in full.

kernals12

Quote from: Echostatic on December 18, 2023, 05:18:05 PM
Now that'll be one hell of a project. US 290 is a very developed corridor in Dripping Springs. I'll be interested to see how they squeeze a freeway through.

The updated fact sheet has an environmental decision scheduled for just next year. If they can pull that off in such an anti-freeway environment I'll be very impressed. It seems like the design is pretty far along, though; TxDOT already has acquisition estimates up.
QuoteThe proposed project would, subject to final design considerations, require additional right of way and potentially displace 12 residences and 83 non-residential structures.

EDIT: I also see now on the fact sheet that a "planning and feasibility study" was completed in 2020. That must have been internal because I haven't heard a peep about it as a nearby resident.
They wisely left in large setbacks between the road and adjacent properties, so it shouldn't be too hard. They'd did a similar thing in San Antonio to US 281

Bobby5280

At first glance I'm a bit surprised any consideration would be given to building a freeway thru the Dripping Springs area over the existing US-290 alignment. But when one looks at the bypass options to "go around" Dripping Springs, upgrading the existing alignment makes a little more sense.

Nearly all of the properties next to the existing US-290 highway are commercial. Any bypass trying to go around the commercial development along US-290 is going to impact homes. A lot of new homes have been built (and other are getting built) on the North side. Quite a few other residential properties are scattered around the South side. Weighing the options, there might be less political blow-back to clearing out a few dozen commercial buildings than there would be from taking homes.

It's kind of interesting that the proposed project would end just West of the RM-12 intersection with US-290. TX DOT will end up having to press on farther West with the freeway upgrades.

Just looking at Google Street View imagery in Dripping Springs it's easy to tell traffic levels are just nuts there. Honestly, the job with US-290 is not going to be finished until it is upgraded to limited access all the way to the US-281 corridor. From there, the state (or feds) can look at Interstate-quality outlet options for Austin to reach I-10.

Quote from: kernals12They wisely left in large setbacks between the road and adjacent properties, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I don't know the areas of US-290 you're talking about. Going thru Dripping Springs itself the existing properties are not set far back at all from the existing 5-lane surface street. Hell, it's going to be a mess just pushing the freeway past Circle Drive where the current expansion project ends. There are plenty of zones where clusters of properties are hugging the US-290 ROW too close for comfort.

kernals12

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 18, 2023, 07:27:20 PM

Quote from: kernals12They wisely left in large setbacks between the road and adjacent properties, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I don't know the areas of US-290 you're talking about. Going thru Dripping Springs itself the existing properties are not set far back at all from the existing 5-lane surface street. Hell, it's going to be a mess just pushing the freeway past Circle Drive where the current expansion project ends. There are plenty of zones where clusters of properties are hugging the US-290 ROW too close for comfort.
I'm referring to things like this. Look at all the bare land between the road and the parking lot of the shopping center

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.