News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Are US 63/60 from Jonesboro AR to Springfield MO both 4 lane divided roads these

Started by djsinco, June 23, 2022, 07:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsinco

It's been about 15 years since I have traveled this route...

Thanks!
3 million miles and counting

edwaleni

Quote from: djsinco on June 23, 2022, 07:01:23 PM
It's been about 15 years since I have traveled this route...

Thanks!

US-60 is 4 lane (but not interstate standards) from Springfield to Sikeston.

US-63 is 4 lane from Jonesboro to Portia and is a modern 2 lane to Hardy, but US-63 from Hardy to West Plains is old school 2 lane, lots of blind curves, turns with opposite pitch and unmarked driveways.

US 89

I found myself using this route as part of a cross-country drive a couple years ago, as it is part of the fastest route from Kansas City to Memphis. US 63 really ought to be four lanes in Arkansas.

The Ghostbuster

When was US 63 designated the Gaylord Nelson Highway? Google Maps lists US 63 by that designation for its entire length between Ruston, LA and Ashland, WI.

djsinco

Thanks for the responses! It seems like not much has changed in the last 15 years or so. There is a roughly 100 mile stretch that is better if not traveled at night when possible. Driving a semi through there many times years ago there was often drama in the couple of hours going north to Willow Springs.

I'm passing through Memphis on my way to Denver in a month or two. The other decent option involves the Oklahoma turnpike system. Back in the day, I always felt like they should be paying me to drive on those bumpy nasty toll roads!
3 million miles and counting

edwaleni

I came up through Hardy to West Plains once in the wintertime in the late afternoon.

Tree shadows were one problem but the biggest one at the time was freezing run off at times where you least expect it.

In the summer and fall it was very pretty but slower drive due to the number of blind curves.

But in that winter time I came back via Cairo and Paducah which forced me to use the Atlanta route which I don't like.

I much prefer the Memphis route when having to drive to the SE.

rlb2024

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 24, 2022, 01:01:53 PM
When was US 63 designated the Gaylord Nelson Highway? Google Maps lists US 63 by that designation for its entire length between Ruston, LA and Ashland, WI.
That looks to be a Google screwup.  The Wisconsin legislature named the highway after him, but that could only be within Wisconsin as they have no jurisdiction over other states.  Here in Louisiana I have never seen any indication that US 63 is named for anyone.

triplemultiplex

And it would be weird for a state to name a highway after another state's governor.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.