AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Future Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge  (Read 4695 times)

jbnv

• I take the back roads.

• Last Login: November 07, 2022, 12:32:36 PM
    • Photos on Flickr
Re: Future Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2022, 08:54:27 AM »

A freeway upgrade of LA 1/LA 3089/LA 70 (with bypasses of Plaquemine, Donaldsonville, Addis, and White Castle) might not be so feasible because of the proximity of the Union Pacific Railroad line along LA 1, bringing the freeway through Port Allen proper, and upgrading the capacity of the LA 1/I-10 interchange with connections to the PoWBR.

I don't see that route ever becoming a full freeway. At best it will get the US 90 treatment of gradual replacement of intersections with controlled interchanges.

Also, the Sunshine Bridge would be a bit too far south to be useful as a BTR bypass.

Not by itself and not for all traffic bound for points southeast. There's already a "poor man's bypass" along the river with LA 3089, LA 70, LA 3127, LA 3125, US 61 and I-310. If we add capacity and limit some of the access, the existing footprint could serve as a viable alternative for some (definitely not all) of the traffic in the area that currently uses I-10. I'd rather focus our efforts on improving the existing network than dumping a bunch of money into one bridge that will do little to solve the real problem.

The best location for an I-10 bypass bridge would be just south of Addis to near where Bluebonnet Road meets Gardere Lane (LA 30), then generally paralleling Bluebonnet just to the south of Burbank Lane.

It's clearly the best location and made it to the semifinalist round, but has been eliminated from consideration.

Either that, or I-49 South between Lafayette and New Orleans becomes the "real" BTR bypass.

Along with the poor-man's bypasses, yes.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

bwana39

• Last Login: November 25, 2022, 03:19:25 PM
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.