News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

You may have never heard of Wilmington's Harry Forden Bridge (North 6th Street), but chances are you have seen it on television or in the movies quiet a number of times.

The 1911 Pratt Truss Bridge has been the backdrop to TV shows like One Tree Hill, Revolution, and Under the Dome.  It also has its own storied history.

http://carolinaxroads.blogspot.com/2017/10/wilmingtons-henry-forden-bridge-aka-one.html

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 11, 2017, 08:24:22 AM
There will be a public hearing next Monday night in Morganton to discuss improvements to I-40, exit 103 for US 64.  I would call this as currently the worst traffic mess in the area.  The East half of the bridge over 40 is original from the late 1950's.  A large amount of the traffic approaching the interchange want to go left.  Way more capacity is needed for US 64 WB going left to 40 EB due to the nearby community college and the huge shipping facility on  Fleming Dr.  I could almost see a diverging down and or SPUI needed here.  They are contemplating business demolition and access control on 64.

I could not make the meeting but the images are available on line.  It will be an SPUI.  A new 8 Lane bridge will be built immediately West of the existing 1957 bridge.  All Lefts will be 2 lanes except 40w to 64 w, which will be a triple left.  The cost will be $45m, of which $18m is ROW.  It looks like everything on the west side of Burkemont from the he signal at Lowe's to just short of the Cook Out is being razed, even a small national chain hotel.  There will be auxillary clanes added to 40 between Enola Rd and 64.  The 64 overpass will allow an 8 Lane 40 underneath.  They had 2006 ADT numbers and it was around 56000 for 40 and 44000 for 64, and trucks were 20% on 64.

LM117

NCDOT is building a new I-26/US-74 interchange.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14511

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation is saddling up for serious construction.

The heavy lifting to build a new interchange at Interstate 26 and U.S. 74 in Polk County begins this month with the goal of providing a safer and smoother driving experience for all motorists, including visitors and participants of the 2018 World Equestrian Games.

"This is an important project to the area, one that has been needed for many years,"  Acting Division 14 Engineer Brian Burch said. "We're happy to get this project started and we'll be working on an accelerated schedule to complete it prior to the World Games."

The first phase of construction is to clear the project area in preparation of moving dirt and rocks and building embankments for the new roadway.  A creek channel change and 353-foot long concrete box culvert will be constructed during the early stages.

The new interchange, at a cost of $19 million, will separate through traffic from local traffic and be completed by Aug. 17, 2018, in time for visitors from across the globe to enjoy an event that is comparable to the Olympics.

Vecellio & Grogan, Inc DBA Sharpe Brothers, based in Beckley, W.V., will be creating a direct merge lane from U.S. 74 West to I-26 East, which will eliminate the need for drivers to navigate two roundabouts. It will also build a new ramp from I-26 West to U.S. 74 and it will include two bridges and eight retaining walls.

Multiple operations will be performed at the same time in order to finish the job ahead of the completion date.  There will be times in which work will be performed around the clock utilizing multiple crews.

Lane closures and lane shifts will be in place at various times during construction on both I-26 and U.S. 74. Drivers need to adjust their travel times, be aware in this work zone and obey all posted signs and flagging instructions.

"We are pleased to be improving area transportation in time for the World Games,"  Burch said, "It's also an improvement that will have a lasting positive impact on residents and visitors for many years to come."
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on October 24, 2017, 07:59:17 AM

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation is saddling up for serious construction.

The heavy lifting to build a new interchange at Interstate 26 and U.S. 74 in Polk County begins this month with the goal of providing a safer and smoother driving experience for all motorists, including visitors and participants of the 2018 World Equestrian Games.

"This is an important project to the area, one that has been needed for many years,"  Acting Division 14 Engineer Brian Burch said. "We're happy to get this project started and we'll be working on an accelerated schedule to complete it prior to the World Games."

The first phase of construction is to clear the project area in preparation of moving dirt and rocks and building embankments for the new roadway.  A creek channel change and 353-foot long concrete box culvert will be constructed during the early stages.

The new interchange, at a cost of $19 million, will separate through traffic from local traffic and be completed by Aug. 17, 2018, in time for visitors from across the globe to enjoy an event that is comparable to the Olympics.

Vecellio & Grogan, Inc DBA Sharpe Brothers, based in Beckley, W.V., will be creating a direct merge lane from U.S. 74 West to I-26 East, which will eliminate the need for drivers to navigate two roundabouts. It will also build a new ramp from I-26 West to U.S. 74 and it will include two bridges and eight retaining walls.

Multiple operations will be performed at the same time in order to finish the job ahead of the completion date.  There will be times in which work will be performed around the clock utilizing multiple crews.

Lane closures and lane shifts will be in place at various times during construction on both I-26 and U.S. 74. Drivers need to adjust their travel times, be aware in this work zone and obey all posted signs and flagging instructions.

"We are pleased to be improving area transportation in time for the World Games,"  Burch said, "It's also an improvement that will have a lasting positive impact on residents and visitors for many years to come."

Hmmmm......wonder if this is the opening salvo regarding the much bandied-about upgrading of US 74 to Interstate standards (and then seeing about getting a I-designation; after all, this is NC!). 

LM117

It's a very safe bet. Once the Shelby Bypass is complete, I'd look for NCDOT to apply for an I-x26 between I-26 and I-85.

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on October 25, 2017, 04:56:10 AM

Hmmmm......wonder if this is the opening salvo regarding the much bandied-about upgrading of US 74 to Interstate standards (and then seeing about getting a I-designation; after all, this is NC!).
I think that the interchange is already interestate standard. It's only putting in the missing freeway to freeway movements.

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Strider

Quote from: mvak36 on October 25, 2017, 07:50:44 AM
Quote from: sparker on October 25, 2017, 04:56:10 AM

I think that the interchange is already interestate standard. It's only putting in the missing freeway to freeway movements.

iPhone

Yeah the interchange is interstate standard as shoulders look interstate standard, but east of that interchange? I don't know.

sparker

Quote from: Strider on October 25, 2017, 11:46:05 AM
Yeah the interchange is interstate standard as shoulders look interstate standard, but east of that interchange? I don't know.

From what GSV shows and from what I've gathered from previous info, the shoulders along the US 74 freeway east of US 26 are not at Interstate standard, but are built to much the same standards as US 64 through the Rocky Mount area, which, of course, will have to be widened to satisfy Interstate (87) criteria.  What I'm wondering is if the now under construction Shelby bypass east of the existing US 74 freeway is being constructed to the higher standard?  If so, then that might give us a clue as to NCDOT's future plans for this corridor. 

Mapmikey

Quote from: sparker on October 25, 2017, 01:05:02 PM
Quote from: Strider on October 25, 2017, 11:46:05 AM

From what GSV shows and from what I've gathered from previous info, the shoulders along the US 74 freeway east of US 26 are not at Interstate standard, but are built to much the same standards as US 64 through the Rocky Mount area, which, of course, will have to be widened to satisfy Interstate (87) criteria.  What I'm wondering is if the now under construction Shelby bypass east of the existing US 74 freeway is being constructed to the higher standard?  If so, then that might give us a clue as to NCDOT's future plans for this corridor. 

US 74 BYpass of Shelby is being built to interstate standards - https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=9961

The westernmost segment (2 miles) is open.  Does anyone know if it is posted as anything?

ARMOURERERIC

I commuted 74 daily for 3 months ending recently getting on Ellenboro and off at the 74A Forest City exit, but frequently going home went 74 east to 226 in Shelby.  It is true that shoulders are lacking, but even more important is there are an at grade or 2 where Bus 74 hits 74 between Ellenboro and Shelby.  The last trip home via 74 and 226, I noted that slip form paving equipment has arrived at the 226 exit.  Even though it is only graded from 74, soon to be Bus 74 east to 226, there is a big Walmart distribution center at the future exit and I think the want to get all those WB trucks off Dixon Blvd ASAP.  BTW, ALL of Dixon BLVD is a traffic nightmare most of the day everyday now.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on October 25, 2017, 05:45:42 AM
It's a very safe bet. Once the Shelby Bypass is complete, I'd look for NCDOT to apply for an I-x26 between I-26 and I-85.

It's very obvious too.  The fact they leaving US 74 along its current route through Shelby but creating a "By-Pass" US 74 is likely a temporary measure, similar to "By-Pass US 70 in Goldsboro later becoming I-42.

Third Strike

Quote from: WashuOtaku on October 26, 2017, 05:12:10 PM

It's very obvious too.  The fact they leaving US 74 along its current route through Shelby but creating a "By-Pass" US 74 is likely a temporary measure, similar to "By-Pass US 70 in Goldsboro later becoming I-42.

NCDOT is also doing the same with the Monroe Expressway. Though I wonder if that particular bypass would be eligible for becoming an Interstate.

sparker

Quote from: Third Strike on October 26, 2017, 05:53:15 PM

NCDOT is also doing the same with the Monroe Expressway. Though I wonder if that particular bypass would be eligible for becoming an Interstate.

I'd say there's a 50-50 chance NCDOT will ask for a x26 or x85 for US 74 in that area; the other chance is that they will wait until the Monroe bypass is completed, propose an extension to Rockingham -- and ask for an even 2di between 28 and 38 for the combination (using duplexes where appropriate). 

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on October 26, 2017, 06:05:06 PM
Quote from: Third Strike on October 26, 2017, 05:53:15 PM

I'd say there's a 50-50 chance NCDOT will ask for a x26 or x85 for US 74 in that area; the other chance is that they will wait until the Monroe bypass is completed, propose an extension to Rockingham -- and ask for an even 2di between 28 and 38 for the combination (using duplexes where appropriate).
I favor having a 2di all the way from I-26 to Wilmington, but so far I don't hear anyone (outside this forum) talking about that. I believe the I-x26 designation between I-26 and I-85 is likely to happen within the next 2-3 years, though. It can be folded into a 2di later, like the short-lived I-495 being folded into I-87 east of Raleigh.

Revive 755

Being North Carolina, why not start right out with a 2di route, say I-30? :spin:

Roadsguy

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 26, 2017, 09:01:41 PM

Being North Carolina, why not start right out with a 2di route, say I-30? :spin:

But there's already an I-30, and plenty of other unused numbers in the region.

...which is why it's just what NCDOT would do.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sparker

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 26, 2017, 09:40:44 PM

And if AASHTO follows suit as they did with the despicable designation I-87, they just might subtract 2 from the NCDOT request and end up with I-28.  I think we all could live with that!

Roadsguy

Quote from: sparker on October 26, 2017, 11:55:50 PM

And if AASHTO follows suit as they did with the despicable designation I-87, they just might subtract 2 from the NCDOT request and end up with I-28.  I think we all could live with that!

But that number would make too much sense, since it's about perfect even when you don't go through NCDOT logic first as you did.

Next extend it all the way to Wilmington!
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sparker

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 29, 2017, 07:45:52 AM
Quote from: sparker on October 26, 2017, 11:55:50 PM

But that number would make too much sense, since it's about perfect even when you don't go through NCDOT logic first as you did.

Next extend it all the way to Wilmington!

Now that would make way too much sense!  Besides, one would have to go back and alter/fix the 1995 NHS legislation that produced the convolution that is I-74 in SE NC! (and try to buttonhole any congressperson to get behind something like that idea, which neither reeks of ideology nor prompts re-election funding!).  Any I-28, 32, 34, 36, or 38 would probably terminate in Rockingham (unless NC somehow gets the bright idea to drag it up US 1 to Raleigh).

WashuOtaku

Quote from: sparker on October 29, 2017, 06:30:46 PM
Now that would make way too much sense!  Besides, one would have to go back and alter/fix the 1995 NHS legislation that produced the convolution that is I-74 in SE NC! (and try to buttonhole any congressperson to get behind something like that idea, which neither reeks of ideology nor prompts re-election funding!).  Any I-28, 32, 34, 36, or 38 would probably terminate in Rockingham (unless NC somehow gets the bright idea to drag it up US 1 to Raleigh).

My evolving opinion on I-74 at this point is to change the Federal law on it.  Remove the states north of North Carolina and request a number change from AASHTO to better fit the truncated area; change the eastern end towards Wilmington and change SC 31 into a spur of I-73.  All we need now is a Congressman to agree to that idea and push it on the next transportation bill.

Strider

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 19, 2017, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 11, 2017, 08:24:22 AM
There will be a public hearing next Monday night in Morganton to discuss improvements to I-40, exit 103 for US 64.  I would call this as currently the worst traffic mess in the area.  The East half of the bridge over 40 is original from the late 1950's.  A large amount of the traffic approaching the interchange want to go left.  Way more capacity is needed for US 64 WB going left to 40 EB due to the nearby community college and the huge shipping facility on  Fleming Dr.  I could almost see a diverging down and or SPUI needed here.  They are contemplating business demolition and access control on 64.

I could not make the meeting but the images are available on line.  It will be an SPUI.  A new 8 Lane bridge will be built immediately West of the existing 1957 bridge.  All Lefts will be 2 lanes except 40w to 64 w, which will be a triple left.  The cost will be $45m, of which $18m is ROW.  It looks like everything on the west side of Burkemont from the he signal at Lowe's to just short of the Cook Out is being razed, even a small national chain hotel.  There will be auxillary clanes added to 40 between Enola Rd and 64.  The 64 overpass will allow an 8 Lane 40 underneath.  They had 2006 ADT numbers and it was around 56000 for 40 and 44000 for 64, and trucks were 20% on 64.

So, they are eventually going to widen I-40 to 6-8 lanes in the future. Is it going to be in Morganton area, or is it all the way to Statesville?

mvak36

This article caught my eye when I was reading the article about I-140 linked to on the Twitter page.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20171030/officials-want-to-see-i-140-get-second-interstate-shield

Snippet of article.
SOUTHEASTERN N.C. -- If local officials and the N.C. Department of Transportation (DOT) get their way, a 57-mile stretch of U.S. 74 and Interstate 140 from Whiteville to Market Street in Porters Neck will be designated as a future stretch of I-74.

"I think it clarifies our intention for it to be an interstate sometime in the future,"  said Karen Collette, DOT division engineer for the region that includes Southeastern North Carolina. "It gives us a start."

The idea has the support of the Wilmington Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), which assists the DOT with identifying local transportation priorities.

The designation would apply for U.S. 74 from Whiteville to I-140, which is scheduled to open Dec. 15, then I-140 from its intersection with U.S. 74 to its intersection with U.S. 17 northeast of Wilmington.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

It would make more sense IMO for I-74 to stick with US-74/US-76 and end at downtown Wilmington right after crossing the Cape Fear River rather than follow I-140.

But hey, either way makes a hell of a lot more sense than sending I-74 to Myrtle Beach.

wdcrft63

Quote from: WashuOtaku on October 30, 2017, 09:29:01 AM

My evolving opinion on I-74 at this point is to change the Federal law on it.  Remove the states north of North Carolina and request a number change from AASHTO to better fit the truncated area; change the eastern end towards Wilmington and change SC 31 into a spur of I-73.  All we need now is a Congressman to agree to that idea and push it on the next transportation bill.
I agree. From an NC perspective, the best number for an interstate along US 74 would be I-36, because there is no NC 36. AASHTO would probably be OK with that number.

If we can clean up the I-74 mess, we would also need a new number for the section of I-74 between Randleman (I-73) and Mt. Airy (I-77). Obviously this could be an I-x73. But it's nearly 80 miles, so another 2di might not be out of the question.

sparker

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 30, 2017, 06:31:36 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on October 30, 2017, 09:29:01 AM

I agree. From an NC perspective, the best number for an interstate along US 74 would be I-36, because there is no NC 36. AASHTO would probably be OK with that number.

If we can clean up the I-74 mess, we would also need a new number for the section of I-74 between Randleman (I-73) and Mt. Airy (I-77). Obviously this could be an I-x73. But it's nearly 80 miles, so another 2di might not be out of the question.

That section of current/planned I-74 is a diagonal with a trajectory largely parallel to I-26 to the west.  As such, it could see an even-numbered designation; as it would cross I-40, it could choose another (preferably currently unused!!!!!) from the mostly available 28-38 and 46-56 pools, as long as it was higher that the one appropriated for US 74.  Were it my decision, it would be I-36 for the US 74 corridor for the very reasons cited above, and I-48 for the section through W-S, as it's far enough away from NC 48 as to not give NCDOT fits.  All that being said -- it's unlikely that there will be a change as long as someone somewhere in a position of influence still thinks that the whole I-73/74 corridor to the Midwest is still a viable prospect.  It might be "tweaked" by sending I-74 to Wilmington rather than Myrtle Beach -- but beyond that at least another decade or so of inaction/apathy north of Roanoke might be needed to make the remaining "whole-corridor" backers have second thoughts.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.